• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida keys

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The more we talk about our Key West vacation in June, the more I want to bring a boat and meet everyone there regardless of how they get there, and the more strange looks I get. What's the point of being surrounded by water If I cant boat on it? I finally cracked yesterday and after I was done ranting for a few minutes, my wife flatly says "You sound like Seinfeld doing a bit about being stranded on Gilligans Island. We're not taking the boat! "

Uhhhhhh I digress....
I rented a boat , a nice 19 footer for $150 a day. Go that route. You do need a boat to have fun in the keys period !!!!

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
What so you want to do?

Sombrero reef
Alligator red
Looe key nature preserve
Bahia honda state park
Day trip to key west
John pennekamp state park (kayak/paddle mangroves, dive/snorkel christ statue)
Tons of wrecks to fish
Beaches a plenty.

Thst just a few
Cool I'm gonna have to give it a shot.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife have me the "look" over weekend when I was talking to a guy about fishing the keys. He said the maho will be running. She doesnt wanna go 15-20miles out to fish..

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The islamorada fish Company is another place to have a meal with a boat, kids can feed the tarpan there.There is a bass pro shop at that dock also. Wahoo's bar and grill is above Whale Harbor marina you can boat to there. There is a sand bar 1/2 out from that channel or the next one over everyone goes to swim and chill at. Hog heaven is next to snake creek and they are open till 4 am you can boat up there,"great smoked fish dip" In a 21 FSH I find I can run over about 10" of water without a problem if I keep it running fast. I made a few mistakes in the Key's and this boat bails me out. Depth changes fast. If you go to Looe Key reef remember to tie up to a mooring buoys, you can not anchor. Also Venture 1is in Cujoe Key close to Looe Key and gas is 1$ cheaper there than anywhere else in the Keys. $3.29 a gal 2 weeks ago for 90 no alcohol. If you are driving a car past Cujoe Key MM22.5 The Square Grouper is one of the best restaurants down there. Use maps on your phone to help navigate to some of the places with your boat it will help.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The islamorada fish Company is another place to have a meal with a boat, kids can feed the tarpan there.There is a bass pro shop at that dock also. Wahoo's bar and grill is above Whale Harbor marina you can boat to there. There is a sand bar 1/2 out from that channel or the next one over everyone goes to swim and chill at. Hog heaven is next to snake creek and they are open till 4 am you can boat up there,"great smoked fish dip" In a 21 FSH I find I can run over about 10" of water without a problem if I keep it running fast. I made a few mistakes in the Key's and this boat bails me out. Depth changes fast. If you go to Looe Key reef remember to tie up to a mooring buoys, you can not anchor. Also Venture 1is in Cujoe Key close to Looe Key and gas is 1$ cheaper there than anywhere else in the Keys. $3.29 a gal 2 weeks ago for 90 no alcohol. If you are driving a car past Cujoe Key MM22.5 The Square Grouper is one of the best restaurants down there. Use maps on your phone to help navigate to some of the places with your boat it will help.
Awesome 411!
By chance do you know of any good boat up bar and grills below Marthon in the Summerland, Sugarloaf, or Saddlebunch areas? Looking for good options when down in those areas after time spent at Looe key or Marvin Key.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Are there special considerations rules or regulations for towing boat trailers once in the keys? Someone said boats are subject to weigh stations and possible permit required for standard boat trailers once you enter the Keys...

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
from what I recall it was more like a "weight trap" used by the cops to write you tickets since truck + 5000lbs of boat is more than 10,000lbs.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Not sure I follow what you’re saying. Need a permit if combined weight is over 10k?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Keys are generally a high enforcement area, since so much of their economy relies on US1 being open for passage. Brakes are required on all wheels/all axles. permit+flags for anything wider than 8'6" (which includes any guide poles, if you have them. I don't think there are any special considerations for weight, other than ensuring that your total rig doesn't exceed the capacity of the tow vehicle.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking it up sounds like habe your trailer in top shape they are looking for reasons to ticket trailers. Some say it's because only one lane in and out so dont want traffic stopped.

The big item is if trailer is over 3k lb brakes on all axle... surely if boat/trailer combo is over 3k lb they arent expecting that but trailer alone? Idk that part isnt clear.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Apparently they are strict in keys... maybe the weight combo is what @Betik was referring to mentioned here

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Got it thanks all! No mention of weigh station requirements (assuming there is one along US 1) for a standard 242 either I take it...

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure I follow what you’re saying. Need a permit if combined weight is over 10k?
I am sorry, I think I mixed up the keys with the Peoples Republic of California which requires CDL for 10,001lbs.
Anyway, @seanmclean & @Wisefam22 have the correct info.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I am sorry, I think I mixed up the keys with the Peoples Republic of California which requires CDL for 10,001lbs.
Anyway, @seanmclean & @Wisefam22 have the correct info.
Ha maybe not. I just found on FDOT Q&A: if combined personal vehicle and loaded trailer exceed 10,000 lbs you are expected to pull into weigh stations but that’s all it says. Goes on to say 9 times out of 10 travelers won’t have to stop once they enter the facility.
Hum of all the times I’ve towed through FL I never knew that. I’m probably little over 13k lbs combined...

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wish I was. Although I am going to pretend that I do not understand what you are saying, so I can plea ignorance in the June/July.

Note1: the word on the street is that keeping 12,000lbs+ below 95mph while passing by weight stations does help in not getting pulled over.
Note2: taking 8 wheels airborne appears to be okay in Mississippi

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Guys you are over thinking this, I live in South Florida and also have a place in Key Largo, I have trailered my boats thru the Keys for years.....unless you are hauling a 30+footer with a 10ft beam no one will even look at you, there are 100s of thousands of boats and trailers traveling to all the keys weekly.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have not had any problems down there. There are plenty of POS boats and trailers down there that are so bad, that's the problem. I think it helps that the boat comes with the trailer, that is how the manufacturer sells it. But then again I have paid thousands of dollars in fines to the NYDOT for crap. NYDOT. = (New York Department Of Terrorism) Make sure your lights work.

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I third what the above say... you are overthinking it lol no one with a jet boat is going to have a problem down here in Florida