• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Flushing engine on Yamaha 242 Limited S E series using in Saltwater

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Honestly all these things have been discussed many times, not to upset anyone but there is a reason people buy lifts and float on docks, it is because leaving a boat in salt water is a really bad idea. Notice I said BOAT not just a jet boat.
Aside from the corrosion factors, there is the sea life that will start growing on the boat and in any water passages that are submerged. The areas like the pump and intake tunnels are inviting places for barnacles to reside. The cooler water may take a bit longer for those things to begin to grow but in the Gulf of mexico I would begin noticing it withing 5 or 6 days. Any boat will take a beating if you leave it docked in salt water. Using it in salt water is a different situation, zinc anodes help, flushing the engines really well helps.
I now use car wash soap as it has a liquid wax in it that leaves a film inside the water passages, I believe this helps to prevent things from attaching to the walls of the passages.
Using really good hose clamps with cable tie backups will also help.
White lithium grease sprayed all over the engine and pump exterior helps as it forms a really good barrier that is not really visible so it does not look like someone vandalized your boat.
Extra ground wires from the engine to the battery are also a good idea as the grounds go bad first.
Put it on a trailer or a float on dock or a lift unless you want to be dealing with the negative side effects of constant exposure to salt water, just be glad it is small enough to be able to put it on a float on dock , lift, or to be able to trailer it.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bobby K I agree that a lift is pretty important, if available. If not, I wouldn't be too concerned about the boat sitting in saltwater, short term, as long as I am running it regularly, once or twice a week to keep an eye on things. I would also pull out at least once a month for a thorough cleaning and inspection, just to catch any issues early. Try to limit the time spent sitting in any type of water for prolonged periods as a general rule.

Keep in mind that larger boats spend their lives sitting in saltwater but they have bottom paint, not gelcoat. You can have serious issues with de-lamination and bubbling in your fiberglass from prolonged submersion in water. However, if you were to paint our boats, it would destroy your resale value; so I wouldn't do it. I really think it is possible to store in saltwater, if you're talking about 2 months a year at the docks but not if you're talking about 3 months or more. I think the reward to potential loss ratio is too great.

I would opt for a marina that offers covered dry-docking if available in your area. The ones around our beaches will put the boat in the water, fuel it, and load a cooler with beer and ice; if you call ahead. Not to mention, they will pull the boat out and wash her down after you use it. It's expensive but it is definitely something to think about if you have access to a dry-dock.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is another discussion somewhere here on the use of cooling line valves - I believe @Gym has those installed permitting him to flush in wet slip in salt.
Many here use crc656 or lithium grease spray on the engines.
Also the steering cables would need greased more than anything else but wear ring galvanic corrosion could be a bigger issue.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC has posted a lot of useful advice on engine/pump maintenance in harsh FL salt.

--
I do have tow / bypass valves installed. As I have stated on many occasions my biggest, ongoing advantage is the ability to close them and flush with fresh water while sitting in salt water.

I do call them bypass valves as opposed to tow valves as they bypass the normal water intake route. If I start calling them tow valves you'll know I had a catastrophic problem.