• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

For those who live at the lake with your own dock/slip...

Mustangswan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Few questions for those that live next to a lake with your own dock/slip:

1. Do you keep your own in water during the entire season?
2. After each boat use, do you put the cover on?
From May to September the boat is on the lift with a canopy. If we will be using it for several days I just put it on the lift without the cover, seems to help it dry out (but under the canopy) and put the full cover on it when not in use. While in use during the day we just tie it up to the other side of the dock. I have found that if I raise the boat up as far as it goes under the canopy (I have a vertical cable\non-hydraulic lift because it’s so shallow) at night and storing it, seems to keep the birds from sitting on the tower and pooping on things.

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I leave mine in the water from May to Labor Day. If I use the boat during the day, I leave it uncovered for a few hours when I get home to dry out. I always have the snap on bow/ cockpit cover on overnight. I never go without it.

My lake doesn’t allow lifts or covered docks.
Have you added a 2nd bilge pump and battery?

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m getting a place with a lift and a covered dock soon. What would be the better cover to use when I’m away from the boat for a while?(to keep birds and other critters out)

The snap on cover or the full black mooring cover? I’m wondering if the full cover would be difficult to put on from a dock. I’ve only ever done it from a trailer.

BJSelzer

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’m getting a place with a lift and a covered dock soon. What would be the better cover to use when I’m away from the boat for a while?(to keep birds and other critters out)

The snap on cover or the full black mooring cover? I’m wondering if the full cover would be difficult to put on from a dock. I’ve only ever done it from a trailer.
I use the mooring cover. No experience with the snap covers. I can fully put the mooring cover on in about 5 minutes without actually accessing both sides of the boat or the front from the dock. IE it would be fine with just access from the one side (though I have access from multiple sides).

Despite the covered boathouse I always use the anti-pooling poles. Figure it doesn't hurt for those days it decides to rain sideways (I'm an hour away). I also raise the boat as high on the lift as I can while away from the lakehouse hoping to minimize exposure to both the elements and any critters.

Croker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We keep ours in the salt water for up to 6 weeks per year. By the end some parts of the boat are caked in salt and algae growth. Normally we keep the cover off unless there is a storm coming as it gets used multiple times per day.

When we stay longer we are going to put in a Sea pen to store the boat to protect the boat for longer periods. They are pricy but they look better than the typical air lifts or candocks in our region.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

The humor that Yamaha has put into this statement is filled with irony.

It's called a mooring cover, but most use it for trailering and many refuse to leave their jet boat in the water (mooring) And those that do, ask if it's appropriate to use the "mooring cover" while moored. The cleat openings are not for trailering (smile)

Ahh the irony. But to answer your question, either cover is fine. Use what is easy for you to get on. And I like the fact that my black mooring cover, includes protection for my swimdeck, which my snap on only covers the seats. But it keeps the birds out, and that is primary, ease of install is secondary.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sits on our lift in a covered slip from some time in April/May until some time in Sept/October.
We leave the mooring cover on it when we are away (90 miles to lake) and at night when we are there.
The mooring cover stays on it in the off season too when it is stored in a boat barn.
We keep a fan running under the cover any time the cover is on to keep the air circulating.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will the mooring cover work with the wakeboard tower lowered?

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Keep it in fresh water (Lake Ontario) from May - October. Pull it once a month, or earlier if needed, for a good cleaning, and stick it back in the water. No issues. Only been one season though!

I always put the snap-in bow+cockpit covers on, even if im returning to the boat the same day. Just a habit. Ill throw on the mooring cover if i know a big storm is coming or if i know i will be away from the boat for a while.

jeffrt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine‘s on a lift, and always put the mooring cover on every night.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I love that SeaPen idea.