• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Forward sweeping tower owners please check your lock bolts

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As some of you may have seen during this years Bimini Fling several 15+ AR owners had issues with their tower bolts backing out and or striping. When I put my boat In dry stack back in May I securely tightened mine but this issue made me think to check them today and glad I did. Just from regular use they had backed out almost a full 1 and 1/2 turn during this time. This will now be on my pre departure check list every time to put my hand on the bolts and tighten them if necessary as last thing I want is them to back out and the tower to fall.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if you could use blue Loctite to prevent that from happening. That would give you a greater level of security while still allowing relatively easy removal.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would likely work but may not be ideal for someone who had to raise or lower the tower consistently. Not sure it would stop one from stripping out but I don't think just tightend ing them will either.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is clearly a poor design that could put someone in the hospital or worse. Yamaha does not make those towers so I would be in contact with the manufacturer of the tower to inform them of the design flaw and see what they will do about it.

Edit- My guess is that @swatski is already headed down this path and finding a way to improve the design himself.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is clearly a poor design that could put someone in the hospital or worse. Yamaha does not make those towers so I would be in contact with the manufacturer of the tower to inform them of the design flaw and see what they will do about it.

Edit- My guess is that @swatski is already headed down this path and finding a way to improve the design himself.
I would imagine he is as well. Only thing I can think of at this time is to drill on each side and add a secondary bolt as a safety precaution

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
XTP is the manufacturer of the towers. They make towers for the OEMs while their sister company Monster makes universal/aftermarket towers.

I wish the AR style towers had locking pins as opposed to threaded bolts. I may just drill mine and use high quality locking pins because it's obvious mine is never going to be replaced with my November 2016 warranty claim of the paint chipping on the base (because the tower moves when you hit big waves causing the damage). Another option would be to safety wire them.

Last edited:

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine have also loosened. I am working on an idea to use a pin to secure the tower. We use pins on landing gear for aircraft, so I am positive that it will hold the tower.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine have also loosened. I am working on an idea to use a pin to secure the tower. We use pins on landing gear for aircraft, so I am positive that it will hold the tower.
Possibly a clevis pin?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@1948Isaac, how has your tower performed? I would expect that you've given it a good workout with all of your saltwater trips. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Thanks

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
ya'll should bombard Yamaha with the issue and severity of the liability if one falls on someone...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yamaha would need to get XTP to redesign the locking for the AR tower. Can someone with a newer 242X or Limited post closeup pics of their locking pin and handle?

I spoke with Wedowee Marine this morning about my other related tower issues for warranty and will be taking my boat in at the end of summer. At this point they said they will just powder coat my tower base again. Issue I have with that is that it doesn't address the issue that is CAUSING it to chip (tower moving with impact).

Last edited:

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am going to look at my tower good to see what can be done. But before anyone does anything they should contact yamaha first about the issue and what can be done

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Something like the pin listed below...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Handle-Push-Button-Pin-5-8-x-3-Chevron-L-Arm-Roll-Back-Wrecker-Wheel-Lift-/271811154367

It would require drilling the tower and tower base but it should all but eliminate the issue of the tower ever moving or collapsing.
Yup that's pretty much what I'm wanting or wishing we had. Is that how the newer Limited and X model towers are or do they use a compression lever? Hard to tell from the Yamaha pics.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yup that's pretty much what I'm wanting or wishing we had. Is that how the newer Limited and X model towers are or do they use a compression lever? Hard to tell from the Yamaha pics.
Not sure, @Julian how is your tower secured?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would imagine he is as well. Only thing I can think of at this time is to drill on each side and add a secondary bolt as a safety precaution
LS/X 2015+ towers already have a perpendicular pin and a more massive base.

I have thought about this, IMO, there is not enough material in the sheath metal sides that go over the solid aluminum base in Ar240.

I always verify the knobs are "securely" tightened before every take off...

@ThatJeepGuy @Majorsmackdown

--

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Beware it can happen fast without warning, not necessarily a slow unwinding/unscrewing process. I found out the hard way.
Also my cabin upholstery in the aft and swim deck were littered with aluminum thread shavings after my tower collapsed unexpectedly indicating a violently stripped thread, not a wiggled out knob screw. IDK.

upload_2017-7-17_20-12-56.png

upload_2017-7-17_20-13-30.png

upload_2017-7-17_20-13-49.png

upload_2017-7-17_20-14-11.png

Oh, and the other security feature - the cable stops - make an interesting sound when they snap (and lend in under seat storage).
upload_2017-7-17_20-15-28.png

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Beware it can happen fast without warning, not necessarily a slow unwinding/unscrewing process. I found out the hard way.
Also my cabin upholstery in the aft and swim deck were littered with aluminum thread shavings after my tower collapsed unexpectedly indicating a violently stripped thread, not a wiggled out knob screw. IDK.

View attachment 59750

View attachment 59751

View attachment 59752

View attachment 59753

Oh, and the other security feature - the cable stops - make an interesting sound when they snap (and lend in under seat storage).
View attachment 59755

--
Have you been in touch or heard a reply from Yamaha on this yet?
If not yet please keep us informed on any news

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The fact they stripped out is what really worries me! @swatski

I just went out and took some pics of my tower. My female base threads are not the prettiest but the tower bolt threads look good. It would be interesting to know the minor and major pitch diameter of the two threads. Personally I think there is some slop in tolerances there. You can see the rough metal surface around the tower base thread indicating the tower is banging against the base so there must be some movement happening there. Also note the damaged/chipped power coat on the top edge of the base. This I feel is from the little flat section inside the tube that makes content to the base when the tower moves from hitting waves hard or head on.

IMG_6237.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a big problem with a stainless steel bolt into aluminum threads.
Dissimilar metals like these in a marine environment dont mix well.
They should have had a stainless nut in the housing