• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Forward sweeping tower owners please check your lock bolts

ThatJeepGirl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We, as many on the trip know, had the same issue with our bolts backing out and stripping. I spent the better part of an hour watching that bolt in complete terror, hoping and praying nothing happened. David is BEYOND meticulous about that boat and making sure everything is strapped down and things are tight. I, too, believe there is a serious design flaw. We have also contemplated the addition of a pin, the only hesitation is that the base on models with a pin is much more broad. David also has an idea involving a lock washer. Me, I know squat about that stuff. What I do know is that we paid an awful lot of money for that boat and I refuse to have to feel consumed with anxiety should waters get rough. I will be contacting Yamaha and the maker of the tower.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I refuse to have to feel consumed with anxiety should waters get rough
Did you and Kate compare notes? lol. I hope you don't sound like her...

--

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha really dropped the ball (I mean bar) on this one. They need to offer up a fix for people that have them before someone gets even more seriously injured or worse. Just a bad design with no reinforcement. Seems like a pin is a great secondary solution.

Sorry for all that are having to deal with this.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
has anyone experienced this on a 17 AR195?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It has a similar design. All 15+ ARs have same towers. Just different sizes

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
right but the 240's tower are heavier, so I was wondering if it still happened often with the smaller towers. I have two small kids on the boat, so this is scary to hear. luckily we never go offshore in the rough.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
right but the 240's tower are heavier, so I was wondering if it still happened often with the smaller towers. I have two small kids on the boat, so this is scary to hear. luckily we never go offshore in the rough.
The need to worry has certainly been proven. As stated previously, that out of the members of this forum, only one tower has reported to have had complete failure and collapsed. Others have reported loosening and stripping though... and no reports of either circumstance on the AR195's.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think that @4wheeldeal has a 19 footer:
Just have a locking bolt as well done no issues. Mine was cross-threaded when I first lowered it took me half an hour to put it back together. It was one of the issues that I took it back for warranty on.

Last edited:

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I checked my bolts, one was very tight, the other took half a turn. tower felt secure...

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I think that @4wheeldeal has a 19 footer:
Yes 19

The tower in the 24 limited looks almost exactly the same but that's just from standing in front on and then looking at mine. Regardless I took mine back to the dealer and that was one issue I wanted addressed. They got it screwed in "fine" apparently, I haven't checked it yet.

Pbirbeck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So just to clarify, a '15 242 LS is good to go regarding the tower?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So just to clarify, a '15 242 LS is good to go regarding the tower?
Yes this is specific to only forward swept AR towers 2015+ that use the screw knob on the backside of the base to hold the tower in place