• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Freezing Weather, Overheat Alarm... - FIXED!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice set up.

Do you take the heater out of the boat while using it in the winter? If not, maybe just lift it up, or tie it from a higher point in case you get some water in there it won't get submerged. If you remove it every time, then never mind.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice set up.

Do you take the heater out of the boat while using it in the winter? If not, maybe just lift it up, or tie it from a higher point in case you get some water in there it won't get submerged. If you remove it every time, then never mind.
Definitely removing it when in use, I don’t want it bouncing around at the bottom of the engine compartment. And yes, good point about water intrusion, this thing is bloody expensive!

On the long run if I can find a place to mount the mounting plate, it would make my life easier, right now it’s a bit of gymnastics to place the heater where I have it and then remove it, but I also do not go out super often in the winter.

Ideally I would probably have it mounted in the bilge, however right now I have it stuffed full of insulation for soundproofing. All these compromises!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my first thought was compressed air also maybe through rinse port?? but really I wouldn't worry about unless it happened again or a few more times,

The first thing I would do would be to pull you cleanout hatch and see if there is a loop or low spot in the intake hose, it could also be as somebody said above the moisture from the river freezing at the strainer,

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski, glad to see you got it sorted out.

On another note, we should organize a Jetboaters.net Polar Bear ski-club and meet up sometime in the winter for a day of mind-numbing good times!

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Dang it @swatski now I want to head out to the lake...It is a cooling pond for a nuke plant, so it may be somewhat warm near the plant!!! hahahaha

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought I was nuts for jumping in spring time 65 degree lake water in a wetsuit. Below are my 12 cures for the winter boating blues.

1. Downhill Skiing
2. Snowmobiling
3. Ice fishing
4. Tropical Cruise Vacation
5. Hot Tub
6. Doing boat mods
7. Vodka
8. Boat shows
9. Whiskey
10. Moving very far south
11. Beer
12. Jetboaters.net

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I thought I was nuts for jumping in spring time 65 degree lake water in a wetsuit. Below are my 12 cures for the winter boating blues.

I'm working on it!!! I have applications in for jobs in Ft. Walton Beach, Tampa, Miami, and the Keys!!! My fingers and toes are crossed! haha

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

1. Downhill Skiing
2. Snowmobiling
3. Ice fishing
4. Tropical Cruise Vacation
5. Hot Tub
6. Doing boat mods
7. Vodka
8. Boat shows
9. Whiskey
11. Beer
12. Jetboaters.net
We are getting ready to start applying #1 cure.
Then, I might just go down that list! Skipping over some. lol

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great info! thank you.
I'll post an updates later in the season when it gets really cold again, curious about this heater.

--
@swatski Do you still have the heater plugged in? Or have you finally submitted to the icy grip of Old Man Winter. I see its "cold again" over your way.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski Do you still have the heater plugged in? Or have you finally submitted to the icy grip of Old Man Winter. I see its "cold again" over your way.
Yessir. Been checking on it once in a while and the heater is working, as long as I have the power it turns on below 40. I like the idea of having those extreme temps moderated in the bilge/engine bay. Albeit I have no way of actually "water" testing the lines as the river is frozen solid, lol.

--