• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Frustrated in Oregon

ShotGun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
II recently bought a 2003 19ft Custom Weld viper2 from neighbor. It has the 4,3l v6 Kodiak with a holly 600 carb IIve had it out 3 times and the moter quits and won't start after a few miles help

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sounds like you might be getting some heat in the carb and vapor locking it. Did I mention I hate carburetors? Lol

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
II recently bought a 2003 19ft Custom Weld viper2 from neighbor. It has the 4,3l v6 Kodiak with a holly 600 carb IIve had it out 3 times and the moter quits and won't start after a few miles help
Did you go through this boat prior to dropping it into the water? I mean new spark plugs, oil & filter change, check/change air filter, check/change fuel filter or filter/water separator? That's always a good start on any used boat regardless what the previous owner has said about what they've done. How long was this boat sitting before you bought it? Is it possible it has old fuel, water in the fuel tank that is mixing with the fuel while running causing the engine to stall? Your neighbor may be a good source of info if he wants to be forthcoming.

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have to agree with the vapor locking. How does the motor get its fuel and via what route? Back in the day we would always use an in-tank fuel pump, or at least an electric pump as far away from the motor as possible and make sure all fuel lines are run away from exhaust manifolds or other heat sources. Otherwise those 4.3 are pretty reliable.

We had to tow a 4.3 I/O run-about back the other day that had a short in the kill switch/lanyard mechanism. To get them running we took the switch out and connected the engine run relay wires. Bad long term solution but proved what was wrong.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It sounds like fuel starvation, but we need a lot more info to do any more accurate guessing. when it quits check for spark and for fuel you could have water in the fuel tank or trash blocking the fuel or something as simple as a blocked vent preventing the fuel from flowing. try an small auxiliary fuel tank hooked directly to the fuel pump and see how it runs it may be sucking in air at a hose clamp on the fuel line so any more info would be helpful.

ShotGun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you go through this boat prior to dropping it into the water? I mean new spark plugs, oil & filter change, check/change air filter, check/change fuel filter or filter/water separator? That's always a good start on any used boat regardless what the previous owner has said about what they've done. How long was this boat sitting before you bought it? Is it possible it has old fuel, water in the fuel tank that is mixing with the fuel while running causing the engine to stall? Your neighbor may be a good source of info if he wants to be forthcoming.
nee
Yes and no I did the fuel water separator he changed oil p;ugs I'm not sure and I should of mention this the boat sat a few years so we siphoned as much gas out took boat to station put 5 gal took long way home to slosh gas around sucked that gas out the3 kids ran it through 2 minivans and Yukon gas in filter smelled like turpentine gas was stabilized I'm going to rebuild or replace carb tomorrow I paid half price on boat

ShotGun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No air filter uses a spark arrestor boat starts and purrs I mean growls like a Tiger

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When it stops does it sputter and die or does it go from running fine then goes silent? That info will help determine if it's a fuel or electrical problem. Also what power range are you in when it dies?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The carbs probably gummed up from ethanol.

ShotGun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It sounds like fuel starvation, but we need a lot more info to do any more accurate guessing. when it quits check for spark and for fuel you could have water in the fuel tank or trash blocking the fuel or something as simple as a blocked vent preventing the fuel from flowing. try an small auxiliary fuel tank hooked directly to the fuel pump and see how it runs it may be sucking in air at a hose clamp on the fuel line so any more info would be helpful.
I do have a clogged vent creating a good vacuum I will look into your suggestion
When it stops does it sputter and die or does it go from running fine then goes silent? That info will help determine if it's a fuel or electrical problem. Also what power range are you in when it dies?
I'm just going fast enough to maintain steering spot calm flat water see a good chance to open it up shove the throttle up and it feels like I just run out of gas it ran for ten min

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Try idling it on a hose? See if she’ll run with the engine hatch open on a hose longer than the 10 minutes. That should slow the warming of the engine, potentially isolating it to either a heat soak issue or a run time issue. I had an old 85 horse Evinrude that used to run beautifully on the hose, close it up and take it out and it ran great until it got hot then it would die out. Ignition coil was getting hot and cutting out. You really need To determine is it fuel or spark.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do have a clogged vent creating a good vacuum I will look into your suggestion

I'm just going fast enough to maintain steering spot calm flat water see a good chance to open it up shove the throttle up and it feels like I just run out of gas it ran for ten min
Ok, good info @ShotGun That sounds very much like carburation. There should be two carb jets on a 2 barrel carburator. These look like small screws with springs on them. One is an idle jet adjusted at idle speed. The other is a high speed jet adjusted at mid to high speeds.
My guess is that your carburator is lacquered up due to old fuel. You may also have some grit in the high speed jet often caused by running the tank dry before long term storage. I've had to use an air gun to blow these clean before.

You can approach this one of two ways. If you have some automotive skills you can rebuild or replace the carb. If not you can seek out a mechanic that rebuilds older cars. They would have the knowlege & tools to handle this job.

ShotGun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Try idling it on a hose? See if she’ll run with the engine hatch open on a hose longer than the 10 minutes. That should slow the warming of the engine, potentially isolating it to either a heat soak issue or a run time issue. I had an old 85 horse Evinrude that used to run beautifully on the hose, close it up and take it out and it ran great until it got hot then it would die out. Ignition coil was getting hot and cutting out. You really need To determine is it fuel or spark.
Thanks for your replay and I'll give it the hose F.I.Or.