• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH drain tests and where the water goes

OUT ON THE REEF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
great fix and i apologize for behalf of Yamaha since they have not done so to you and me and 1000 or so FHS boat Owners.
wen the navigation light issue came to our attention,because Coast Guard spotted the problem they had a fast Recall but this issue of water leaking is more dangerous than the navigation light, but is ok we the boat Owners will get it fix our self,
i think Yamaha will improve this big issues on future boats.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Didn't know about the nav lights. Glad to hear it was fixed though!
The leak isn't too big a deal for me since it's an easy fix. But what is amazing is that it is so so so easy to fix at the manufacturing point. Just make the anchor locker nozzle an inch longer and silicon it inside the locker. Done! But I still love this boat. At this price point I expect a few corners to be cut to save the dollar. But they can make it near perfect with a tiny amount of effort.

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Like to thank @highanddryinco for his fix write-up on the anchor locker drain problem. Followed his direction and everything went smooth. Looks great and as soon as the PA weather breaks I'll put it to the test. Should finally have a dry changing/head compartment.

Another thanks to Will from @JetBoatPilot for his outstanding customer service. I was installing my new Seadek swim platform kit and had a quick question I emailed to him. He called and answered my question within an hour on a Saturday. All businesses should operate like his. Highly recommend!!!

Attachments

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Cool. I'm heading to Lake Powell tomorrow for a week. I am anxious to give it a soaking after my winter hiatus.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That Seadek looks so smart. Can't wait to do that myself.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My boat has been at the dealer for warranty repairs so I put the anchor locker on the list of things I needed fixed.
I got an update from the dealer today on the anchor locker repair.
He said that put some pookie (silicon) in the gaps from the anchor locker side. No new through-hull, etc...
They repaired the same way as @OUT ON THE REEF did.
Apparently Yamaha does not have any repair bulletin on the anchor locker drain and it was the first time this dealer had heard of the issue.

I dont think its as much as a documented problem with the other models because the water goes into hidden compartments. Not a changing room.
Plus it seems that us boaters take it upon ourselves to fix odds and ends that are covered under manufacture warranty. Who wants to drag their boat to the dealer right?

When I get my boat back I am just going to fix it myself if I feel their repair was inadequate.
Boats been there 3 months, I just want it back...

When I first started a thread on all of the defects I had, I was the odd man out as far as getting a boat with quality control issues.
Im seeing that there is a pattern here with the late models.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/pics-white-factory-overspray-in-engine-bay.11748/

New Buyers:
Inspect your new boat before purchase. Get all defects fixed before you do any final signing.
Believe me, the dealer will get it all fixed to make the sale and Yamaha will be hearing about it.

Last edited:

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My boat has been at the dealer for warranty repairs so I put the anchor locker on the list of things I needed fixed.
He said that put some pookie (silicon) in the gaps from the anchor locker side. No new through-hull, etc...
Apparently Yamaha does not have any repair bulletin on the anchor locker drain and it was the first time this dealer had heard of the issue.

I dont think its as much as a documented problem with the other models because the water goes into hidden compartments. Not a changing room.
Plus it seems that us boaters take it upon ourselves to fix odds and ends that are covered under manufacture warranty. Who wants to drag their boat to the dealer right?

When I get my boat back I am just going to fix it myself if I feel their repair was inadequate.

When I first started a thread on all of the defects I had, I was the odd man out as far as getting a boat with quality control issues.
If I may ask, what other issues were there? Three months seems a bit out of the ordinary!

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
If I may ask, what other issues were there? Three months seems a bit out of the ordinary!
Here is the thread I have going. Its lengthy, but there is a list in there I created with all of my issues. Its been at the dealer for 3 months.
Most of the time was spent going back and forth with Yamaha. They couldn't believe that one of their boats had all of these issues.
"We have outstanding quality control, etc..."
They said my boat must have been sabotaged at the dealer. Bla bla.
They denied my requested repairs the first time around, but I fought back and got them to fix almost all of it.
Its been a brutal battle and I am worn out.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/pics-white-factory-overspray-in-engine-bay.11748/

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I am anxious to give it a soaking
Unhappy to report, "Problem not solved!"
Things were nice and dry after the first day. The second day we pounded through some tough wind blowing up a good chop for 20+ miles. Even though there was maybe only a spoonful of water in the bilge, I saw some of the tell-tale water back by the batteries that night. Sure enough, there it was down in the changing area as well.
Looks like I need to take my own advice and double check the deck drains, the thru hulls that they attach to, and the associated hoses connecting the two.
Same goes for the drain line and thru hull from the front cooler box.
I'll just plug the outer holes and then fill the deck and do the same thing for the cooler. It's gotta be one of or all of those.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have siliconed fishbox/ cooler, all plugs,deck scuppers and anchor locker drain. The boat is much dryer but still gets water in the bottom part of hull after a good wash or bad storm if the boat is uncovered. I lower the trailer jack all the way down, so the bow is down with the angle of the driveway, open the 2 drains on the sole of the console and usually take out gallon or so. I have put he bow down and checked after just fishing and boating but no water has come out of the console drains on most occasions.

OUT ON THE REEF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
i feel bad f

New Buyers:
Inspect your new boat before purchase. Get all defects fixed before you do any final signing.
Believe me, the dealer will get it all fixed to make the sale and Yamaha will be hearing about it.
or your situation especially wen is new ,you are strong waiting 3 months i would make that dealer crazy with my daily calls.
yamaha don't recall this boats because it has not made enough attention because boats have not sink from this issue wish is great for them but is all to us to get it fix not the dealer because they want our boats for a long time on repair.
please let me know wen you finally get your boat, im worried that you need to get your boat fast so you can enjoy it this summer.
take care buddy.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
...dryer but still gets water in the bottom part of hull after a good wash or bad storm...
Yep, agreed. No storm this time though, just running on the water. I've been meaning to do all of those "other" sealing points as well. I was hoping the anchor drain was going to be the big fix and after seeing that big open gap I was fairly confident it would be. While it certainly did help, obviously there's more left to do. All in good time. As well as I had the changing area drains sealed, it is obvious that the water is still coming from above, not below. Prior to sealing those drains (mounting flanges) I was never 100% sure if the water was in the bilge and running through the back sides of the drains or not.

Still loving the boat though. Easy boat to tow long distances. Lake Powell was a great place for the FSH. It did great whipping through the canyons and handling the wind and waves when they popped up. Maybe I'll post a quick video one of these days.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Here is the thread I have going. Its lengthy, but there is a list in there I created with all of my issues. Its been at the dealer for 3 months.
Most of the time was spent going back and forth with Yamaha. They couldn't believe that one of their boats had all of these issues.
"We have outstanding quality control, etc..."
They said my boat must have been sabotaged at the dealer. Bla bla.
They denied my requested repairs the first time around, but I fought back and got them to fix almost all of it.
Its been a brutal battle and I am worn out.

Wow. That's quite the battle. I'm sorry you ended up becoming the exception to the rule. The dealer, to me, is ultimately responsible for what you have been going through. Yamaha apparently gave them the boat, but the dealers have the responsibility to return it to Yamaha if the boat is not up to standards. Yamaha can argue, quite legitimately, that the boat was fine when they sent it out. But I'm in agreement with many who seem to think that this boat was not actually new when they sold it to you. Too many red flags. I know it's no consolation, but thus far, I've been very happy with my '17 FSH Deluxe. A little rough around the edges in a few places, but it's common in boats to be like that. I do hope the situation resolves in your favor.

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
First trip out today with the anchor drain fix. 100% dry changing/head compartment. FINALLY!!!

I did find about a cup or two of water under the port side flip up seat compartment. With someone else driving and watching inside the compartment I found that a small amount of water is leaking at the port side deck drain and fish box thru hull fittings. Next step will be sealing these up and I should have a dry boat. We shall see.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Good to hear!
Yes seal up those other leaks. Otherwise when you go stand on the bow and fish for a while, that water back by the battery compartment will be...in the changing area. :vomit:
I'm hoping that's where my remaining leaks are as well. Easy enough to fix.

OUT ON THE REEF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
in have nightmares with my boat leaks, sometimes im dreaming that im sinking in the middle of the sea and then i wake up SCREAMING!!
YAMAHA!!!!!! and then it goes away What a re leaved. NAVIGATE SAFE MY FRIENDS.

OUT ON THE REEF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Good to hear!
Yes seal up those other leaks. Otherwise when you go stand on the bow and fish for a while, that water back by the battery compartment will be...in the changing area. :vomit:
I'm hoping that's where my remaining leaks are as well. Easy enough to fix.
thanks i know with time we will get all the leaks fix

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The first weekend home after our Lake Powell trip so I was cleaning off the red Utah dust and the black Colorado mag chloride gunk from the boat.
So while I had the hose out and was wet anyway, I thought I'd document a couple of the "other" leaks that I still need to attend to.
It's safe to say I wasn't expecting them to be as bad as they were.

Amateur attempt at video editing but here it is.