• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH in the rain

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Like many others on here I have sealed and repaired every thru hull on this boat. I finally have a dry boat when on the water.

My FSH is always stored in a garage, so until last night it has never seen any significant rain. Well I left her in the driveway last night after a day of fishing with a plan to go again today. We had a pretty heavy thunderstorm last night and now I have a good gallon or more of water in the boat. All the hatches were closed, rod holder caps were on, and the center console covered.

Anyone have an idea how and where the rain is making its way into the hull off the boat?And most important how to stop it?

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I'm assuming you re-sealed the deck drains at the thru-deck and not just at the thru-hull?

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Deck drains are sealed too. I'm wondering if the rod holders need sealed as well.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I figured you probably did. That would have been the easy answer.

Rod holders wouldn't hurt.
I haven't sealed mine yet but I would suspect the access cover in the deck floor over the fuel tank is probably a big leaker too.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Rod holders take on rain.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also those cleat assemblies are not waterproof, will leak water especially if left extended/open.

--

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've wondered about the gas tank hatch too. Mine takes on some water in a heavy rain if I don't have the cover on.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I went ahead and did mine on Sunday. Looked about as bad as the other thread where the guys were re-sealing the hatch in wet compartment. I took out the screws and the hatch lifted off the deck with zero adhesion. The little bit silicone they did use stuck to the deck side. Unfortunately all I had left was more silicone so I goobered it full and bedded the hatch back into it. I'm certain it had to be leaking substantially.
Fingers crossed for a decent seal. I am not a fan of crappy silicone where plastics are used. My big tube of Life Seal got here Tuesday so I'll keep up with my other sealing projects.

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Everyone does realize these are boats shit can get wet tilt it and drain they would not have put drain plugs in otherwise

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah... nobody on here probably knew that.

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just joking but I know these do let on to much water I wouldn't ever leave mine in a boat slip it would be under water first night

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I came back with a dry FSH from a few hours on the river. There was some splashing on to the boat, but nothing in the bilge or the changing room. Took it home, washed it down real good and wham! Water in the changing room, a little in the bilge. It figures too. Those drain areas along the front storage compartments, the rear seats, the engine compartment, the Deluxe seat port, etc. can only hold so much water before it overflows. The capture the water, but don't drain out. Especially along the jump seats next to the tower. So, in a rain I would expect the water to overflow into the bilge/changing room, no matter how tight or siliconed everything is.

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I concur. All the repairs and sealing have been great at obtaining a dry boat while on the water. Especially the anchor drain fix. I think the only way to solve the water intrusion during heavy rain is either a garage or a cover.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I think if we were all told how our boat boat was supposed to work (wet storage, dry storage, which plugs to leave open), we would have realistic expectations for how our boats are supposed to work.

Manual says nothing, dealers don't have straight answers on these issues. (At least the 2 dealers I have dealt with didn't)

A YouTube video from Yamaha would be nice.
Do you hear me Yamaha?

Yes, I'm thinking this changing room is part of the bilge and that's it. Got to leave that plug out and not leave anything on the floor that you don't want to get wet.

I think we assume it's dry storage, but it is not. Wishful thinking I guess...

I'm not letting Yamaha off the hook just yet, they still has some serious sealant issues to sort out. I've had more fittings leak than not.

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In Yamaha's denfense, nothing in print about the FSH uses the words DRY and Storage next to each other. During my shopping phase, other boats that cost 1.5-2X higher had "real" dry storage in "real" lockers. Am I surprised the head compartment gets wet? Not really but I never assumed it would be dry. In 30 years of sail and power boating I've never seen any compartment that shares air (and water ) with the bilge to be drier than a popcorn fart, and nor would I expect it to. It has a drain plug in the bottom for a reason. Dry bags are your friend.

Last edited:

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well when you buy a boat you dont expect it to fill up with water in every compartment or worry about it sinking

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Well when you buy a boat you dont expect it to fill up with water in every compartment or worry about it sinking
I don't think anyone said either of those things did they?

This type of thread seems pretty popular and Earfixr is right. Anytime I've seen a boat sitting in the rain it's going to get water into the bilge. Or maybe into some compartments if it's not covered or, like my FSH, the gutters around the seats overflow with water.

Last time I checked, boats were made to get wet, drain, and go on their merry way!