• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH Sport, pre-purchase test drive is a "go" tomorrow...

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After seeing all the real or "phantom" AR192's disappear from FL, I decided to go with an FSH Sport. My closest dealer and I agreed on some numbers and I'm taking it on a short test drive tomorrow. To be 100% sure I'll get the 4 yr factory warranty, I'll need to complete the purchase either tomorrow (immediately after the test) or Saturday. The decisions been made, I just want to be sure my purchase is 100% before I bring it home.

I've read all the threads about Yamaha's poor QC on this model, regarding the lack of sealant on drain plugs, hatch's, and even loose hose clamps. Pre-launch, I plan to check the bilge and the storage compartments for water (maybe from rain or the detailing crew) and then check again during the test. On the way back in, I want to remove all the compartment plugs and check for water in the changing station, etc. I'm going to ask about this before we get started and I'll keep the actual time "underway" shorter to be considerate of their time and to keep the hours low as possible. Maybe 10 minutes of messing with the plugs/checking for water and 10 minutes at "break-in" rpms (whatever that is).

They agreed to store it for a week or so in their covered building, since my slip isn't ready yet. So, while sitting there, I'm considering a dealer installed 2d bilge (dedicated outlet) and a FF/depth transducer. Since its under warranty, I'd prefer the dealer to drill holes, even though I'm capable of doing the work myself. I'll research any potential dealer installations while on-site, after the test drive tomorrow ($$ shop rate, etc.)

Does this sound reasonable? Any other thoughts on a test drive of my FSH Sport?

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds reasonable. Turn on the aerator/live well, try the wash down, Give it a good visual once over and document all errors to be repaired, Check out the caulk around the guages- mine was pretty shotty looking. Inspect the drain tube in the anchor locker. If its an older 2016 that has been on the lot, make sure the front nav light has been upgraded. The updated one is on the anchor lockr lid. Good luck.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good Luck! I think overall finish better than what you might think after reading some posts including mine. Having many good trips on ours.

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hope you like her, it's a great little boat. Unscrew and remove the rear bucket tray to see the entire bilge compartment. That's where you'll want to install your second bilge pump (good idea too as the factory pump is way too high) and mount your shoot thru tranducer. Make sure they don't epoxy it over a lifting strake like my idots did at the dealer. Right in front of the factory thru hull seems to be the best location. You can also see every drop of water in the hull while under way with that hatch open amd that tray out. A high water alarm back there might be something to consider too, I did it on mine just to be safe.

Expect it to be loud and get crappy gas mileage and you wont be disappointed. You'll forgive and forget those two jet boat flaws once you realize how much that little boat can really do and for so cheap. The steering and throttle response alone will give you an ear to ear grin.

Good luck and don't fall for the extended warranty time table BS to buy fast. Any dealer that wants your business can make things happen on your terms too.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I am thinking about adding just a digital depth finder to mine since side imaging just can't read depths on plane. This was true for even boats with outboards most won't read at higher speeds. I can get bottom up to 25mph in fresh water and only about 15mph in salt water.

As for my water issues 95% of the time mine has only shown up from being out in the rain once I replaced my drain plugs. Never really had any issues of water just coming in while on the water.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wow, great information and very helpful!

With all the storms we had today, the test drive didn't happen. I could have done it tomorrow, but the local boat ramp is a madhouse on Saturdays. I committed to the FSH Sport and will be taking delivery next week...its my boat now. The check will be in hand on Tues or Wed.

I can get a pre-delivery test drive if I want, the dealer agreed with no problems. Plus my family will be back in town next week, so they can come along and learn the boat too (wife/one tweenager lol).

They had the boat under a roof and detailed really well. Overall, its quite a boat, for what it is (smaller, open console, jet boat, well laid-out, etc.).

I also got to talk to the service mgr as he was installing the complete jetboatpilot FSH kit to another boat just like mine! It really dressed the boat out with the full Seadek flooring, rear fin, and the console organizer. The service mgr installed a transducer through the hull, but below the transom, horizontally, and not through the bottom of the hull, with a flush mount Garmin unit installed. Pretty amazing to have all that installed inn one trip to the dealer.

I can do most of that myself, but we made a plan to get my transducer and bilge drilled, with dedicated drain hole. I might have them flush mount a depth/bottom imaging FF of some kind, since he's doing the transducer for me. Exciting times fo sho!! :winkingthumbsup"

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for everyone's great information. The demo went without a problem. First thing, we checked all functions, switches, gauges, etc. The anchor locker lid is the gen2 with nav light on it. All hose clamps and drain hoses were solid and all were really tight. The salesman explained their mechanic goes through/tightens all clamps and always gives their boats a good "pre-delivery" inspection checklist before its sold (I signed it after we inspected it). Before trailering to the dealer's local boat ramp, I ran the bilge and saw some soapy water come out, from a recent wash down, but that was it. No water in the compartments. After the demo ride, there were no leaks or water in the compartments or in the hull/bilge area. Immediately after getting back to the dealer, we went over flushing the motor with my Salt Away (I bought it for the occasion) . We tried to get the engine coolant outlet to piss water out, but no coolant water would come out (next to the bilge hole). Seems like this is not an uncommon experience here in the forum.

Monday I'll be calling the service mgr about which GPS/depth/FF to install and also the exact bilge location. I saw these Garmins that'd work for me...

http://Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 54dv $599 or http://Garmin EchoMAP 54dv $449

Those are available with and without a transducer, which might be a bonus, depending on where the transducer gets mounted and the type.

I'll be posting about my new Yam FSH Sport cover soon and also a mod that makes these jet boats walk backwards like nobody's business lol (not my mod).

eta - During the test drive, there was a steady stream of water exiting the coolant hole. Also, we confirmed the water hose pressure was very good and there was water pouring out from under/around the jet during the flush. Since my new boat was getting washed-out too, it was on a fairly step incline. I'm not sure that would limit a stream of coolant water during a flush...

Last edited:

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
a mod that makes these jet boats walk backwards like nobody's business
I've been away a few weeks on vacation in Lake Michigan and must have missed that one. Can't wait to hear more.
These boats spin on a dime with a little forward-reverse-steering wheel spin. They maneuver very nice in slow forward speed with the TV's installed. They walk backward just fine too. They do not move backward and turn worth a hoot though if you have even a little rearward momentum.

Congrats and enjoy your new ride. I agree, even with the little gripes thrown around here, these boats are a lot of fun. We were on the water almost everyday for the two weeks we were gone. We had an absolute blast. There's still water coming in this boat's bilge from somewhere but it's certainly manageable and not a deal breaker. As someone else mentioned, it's an impressive performer for the price point.

Sid&Lisa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Congrats on your purchase. I am brand new to the forum and to Jet boats. Are you still loving your boat? I am considering purchasing the deluxe fsh190 with a saltwater Series T top that was manufactured locally in the Tampa Bay Area. Big decision. Do you have anymore feedback?

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have anymore feedback?
Thanks and yes a little feedback. I still don't have the boat home because I'm keeping it at the dealer til my slip is ready, hopefully next week. We have a small marina in my neighborhood, so I can't invest in another location or slip, or even storage, for a few weeks. I could rearrange my garage and store it, but launching would require trailering out of my neighborhood (driving right past my slip that's being built now) to a local boat ramp. As time passes, its not getting any easier to wait. Also, the dealer is doing my 2d bilge and transom mount transducer anyway...two fresh 1.25''+ holes in a brand spank'n new boat! Its worked out OK (except I cant's ruhn muh new boat lol!). I have gone out on it twice so far (launched at Gandy Bridge). Soon...

My feedback is based on three things with this boat; 19' size, FSH design, and jet boat. Get a 19' boat if that suits your purpose, which is just a straight-up, old school decision on boat size...that's all personal. If you plan to carry lots of gear and more than 4-5 adults all the time it might feel small. If a "small feeling" boat and a crowd is OK with you, then not an issue. If its primarily just a couple adults/small kid(s), that's not too much for a 19' FSH, but that's me. Also, imo the FSH handles a crowd better than an openbow design because seating is more dispersed and there's more walking room.

The FSH design...absolutely a huge win if you ask me. The FSH got my attention to a jet boat and also to getting a 19', plus its been awhile for my boating. A 19' is a great compromise to being a useful boat, but still manageable on a trailer and around docks, etc. The changing station is genius, the seating and deck is too, and a swim platform on a T-top boat is nice! The anchor compartment and nav lights are well thought out imo. Also like the 5 gal bucket under the swim platform for holding a bait net or a small beach anchor in the bucket. The aluminum trailer and brakes are a bonus too ( but 5 pin is pita). Lots to like.

On the jet boat thing, I focused on the ease of maintenance and reliability, shallow water use (Sarasota to Tampa and further south too), fishing/beaches, and an all around type of boat, that can still pull a tube or a board. The noise is OK and goes well with the sound of the wind at cruise and WOT :cool:. Getting on plane easily is a bonus and also whipping the boat around at speed is lots of fun too. The last thing that comes to mind is the cost (not the last thing when I was shopping though), which is less than other types of boats, generally.

I'd suggest choosing your fav dealership that has or is getting an FSH and willing to do a test run. They'll likely want proof of funds or financing first. Spend lots of time on one, kicking the tires and flipping the switches lol...check out the features, etc. I like Barneys way better than the other local option.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Slip is brackish in a lagoon, with a lift to keep it out of the water. takes about 3 minutes ta no wake speed to get to a huge lift that takes the boat over a wide seawall and sets the boat into a brackish river, off the Gulf. Only way in/out and no ramp, etc. I think there's a 30' limit on keeping a boat there.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome!! Enjoy it! If you ever bring it up to Clearwater area hit me up! I'm out on the artificial reefs off Clearwater just about every weekend. Great fishing just a few miles out!

Sid&Lisa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Awesome!! Enjoy it! If you ever bring it up to Clearwater area hit me up! I'm out on the artificial reefs off Clearwater just about every weekend. Great fishing just a few miles out!

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I will do that and thanks! Ya'll do the same if going to Egmont or Anna Maria. There's a good place to eat right on Anna Maria Beach "The Beach House" (anchor on the beach), nice restaurants on the Manatee River in Bradenton and on the other side of the Manatee River in Palmetto (both have docks). Then further up river toward my place there's Woody's with live music, etc (and a dock), which is right next to the Manatee River bridge, which carries I-75 from Bradenton north, over to the Ellenton side of the bridge, going north in a car (yuk!) lol.

When I walk down my street I can see Woody's across the river, so its very "local". I'm sure there's others around here, but those are the obvious places I know of.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We should have a west coast fsh gathering sometime!

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How many miles is a few? My cousins go out 15-25 miles out of Fort Desoto for grouper. They have a Seahunt 225 and Mako 25. We went with them a couple of months ago. 1-2ft seas turned into 4-5ft seas. It was an interesting ride back in.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
6 or 7 miles out. I went out about 20 this past Sunday just gotta go early before the storms roll in.... i have been impressed with the way this boat handles out in the open water... been on a few 19 footers that didnt handle even close to this one . Mind you its still a small boat so gotts use ur head and not get over confident