• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel pump on 1996 Sport Jet 120xr

mrcid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Anyone have any experience with bypassing the old diaphragm fuel pump with an electrical fuel pump on the 120xr?

Here is my issue, which I believe may be related to the diaphragm fuel pump not functioning correctly: Starts fine, idles fine, runs wide open just fine. It seems to have an issue about 10 minutes after running wide open. It will start bogging down as though it is not getting enough fuel. Looking at the fuel filter (which is clear glass), it seems as though the pump isn't drawing enough fuel to keep the fuel filter filled with gas. Almost as though the pump has vapor locking in a way. I can disconnect the hose from the fuel filter and drain the gas, reconnect, and it starts and runs fine again.

I'm thinking an electric fuel pump could remedy this "problem". Just wondering if anyone here has done this with success. I've already gotten a small electric fuel pump that delivers 4-7 psi. (install before or after oil injection "T"?, safe wiring methods, etc)

TIA

mrcid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
I might have just solved my own mystery. Went ahead and disassembled and cleaned everything from fuel pick up hose to carbs. Upon further inspection and cleaning of the clear fuel filter, it had a small hairline fracture in the "glass". Brand new, too. Ordered another, but different brand. Hopefully that was the culprit.