• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel tank Deck Cover

Sjetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
20151024_131105.jpg If you can get a hold of this product you will not be disappointed. We use this on jet aircraft and has never failed that I know of as far as freeing up seized hardware

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Kroil is the best penetrant I have ever used but I don't think it will help in this case. The white lock tight and depth of the thread will prevent it from ever making it down.
I am afraid to say that you will probably have to do what I did recently and drill the heads off so you can get the hatch removed. Then take vise grips and grab the remaining bolt and turn them out. Even with that access I ended up snapping 3 bolts off. I replaced all my bolts with the below from Amazon. Each was given a coat of anti seize.
I have had these bolts out before and they still had the above problems. I hope your adventure goes better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YSSBOF0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
...I am afraid to say that you will probably have to do what I did recently and drill the heads off so you can get the hatch removed. Then take vise grips and grab the remaining bolt and turn them out. Even with that access I ended up snapping 3 bolts off...
That's pretty much what I figured, just trying to exhaust all my options before dealing with that. I suspect the half inch impact gun will shear them off pretty much instantly. I'm going to give them a couple more days of pbblast and the regular impact before I commit to breaking them. I got one other out last night, so I'm down to three left. Based on the appearance of the last one, the PB Blast is getting to the nut, as all the white stuff was soaked in it, so another day or two of PB can't hurt.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@smthng, this was my experience https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-experience-removing-the-fuel-tank-access-hatch-to-add-sound-insulation.6309/

I used a 1/4" impact to remove as many as I could. Then I stepped up to a 1/2". I believe I broke 3 bolts off. I did break an easy out off in one. I had the most success using the impact in bursts. It had a tendency to break if I got excited and held the trigger.

I believe most if not all of the bolts go through a piece of metal, perhaps aluminum, inside the hull. I believe that the differing metals at that point are where it binds.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am in the middle of this project right now, I do not have a #4 square in my tool box, so I took a 1/4 extension and ground it down to fit, it worked well until one of the bolts did not want to turn and broke the extension end. I found in my Tap & Die Set that one of the taps with a square end is an exact fit in these bolts - just have one bolt left, waiting on my battery to recharge on my Milwaukee Cordless Drill. This last bolt is in there tight, soaking in PB Blaster, hopefully it comes out and I can change out the fuel sending unit and check for any leaks while I am in there.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last bolt stripped, had to drill the head off - going to get it out with vice grips now that the hatch is off. One thing to note for people swapping out their fuel sending unit, the factory bolts are not long enough, I have searched through all of my nut & bolt bins and do not have the needed length, so off to Ace Hardware to buy some longer bolts with the correct threads.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I still have two more SS #4 bits around if anyone needs it let me know.

Ken Toomey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for your comments. I am now going to steer away from even attempting to remove these bolts. Don't think I'm nuts but I just wanted to remove cover to clean all the debris over the years that has slid down the sides. Little anal eh!
Ken from Maberly Ontario

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for your comments. I am now going to steer away from even attempting to remove these bolts. Don't think I'm nuts but I just wanted to remove cover to clean all the debris over the years that has slid down the sides. Little anal eh!
Ken from Maberly Ontario
If your anal side wins out and you need a #4 Robertson bit, I still have a couple and I could send you one.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had very bad luck with my opening of this hatch. I would not suggest you do this for fun, there is a chance you never have to. It was a royal pain on the behind. I must have spent over 10 hours drilling on mine.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I must have been one of the lucky ones. All bolts came out without breaking and I could reuse them. I used a small hammer to set and reset the #4bit as needed. And then went slowly using a 3/8" ratchet. I worked them like you would cutting threads, except in reverse, loosen to the point of "wont turn any more" then tighten back up, then repeat loose, tight, loose etc. One of the aft bolts was really tough, but it came out. I didnot use an impact wrench or a 1/2" drive socket because I felt a 3/8" drive was less likely to snap them off. Alot of patience required and resetting the bit frequently.
20170515_142229_001.jpg20170515_143914.jpg I replaced the hatch seal while I had it off. Could not find the bits locally, so ordered them here, www.lawsonproducts.com/