• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fusion radio on older AR240

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking to replace the original JBL head unit on the 2010 AR240 and replace the swim deck remote. Nothing fancy as we only listen to the radio while chilling on anchor and don't use XM. Have the MS-RA670 and MS-RA70 in mind with the ANT wireless remote to replace the swim deck remote. Couple questions that have been addressed in other threads but not sure if there are updates with newer head units. Both units require an additional adapter to fit snug in the DIN opening ? I saw mention that jetboat pilot made one at some point. What can I use as a filler plate for the rear swim deck.

ThanksC9093EF9-6AFA-4EFB-818F-5039DB6D45EE.jpeg

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have a 230, so my advice may differ from your actual boat but I was able to cover the hole in the dash completely with the RA 70, it was just narrower than the hole and the mounting screws from the previous unit (an older Fusion) were exposed, needing touch up. A thin sheet of plexiglass or starboard may be wanted. On the rear, it think starboard cut to size is the key.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hey there @jmargo,

Just saw your post and maybe I can help (2014 242LS with the old Clarion head unit). I just finished replacing the Clarion, loathed that unit, with the Fusion MS-RA670. Only played with the HU for a little but LOVE it so far. This is what I did. I bought the fusion adapter kit and it worked really well. Not sure about jetboat having one. But the fusion adapter kit comes with a larger rubber protective cover for the 670 (The one that came in the box wont fit the HU with the adapter plate). Sorry I dont have any input into the RA70 system and adapter.

As for the transom/swim platform remote I added the Fusion ERX400. Works just like the main head unit and since I had a hole from the POS clarion I had to cover it somehow. Needed to make a slight mode to cover the big circle from the clarion with the smaller square from Fusion. Not my best work by any means but I'll go back later this summer and make it a bit sexier.

Now, those wireless remotes are awesome but I skipped on those...for now.

Not sure I helped you with anything bu I do think the 670 and adapter kit looks really sharp.

Fusion 670 Adapter kit

t3vjHk6fTqy33DIr0bE1Rg.jpgIMG_0287.JPGIMG_0292.JPGIMG_0293.JPGIMG_0376.JPGIMG_0379.JPG

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. I ordered the MS-RA210 with the adapter plate.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@flyingnugget I am thinking of replacing the CMD8 with the Fusion 670 or maybe the 770 (probably overkill for us). Since you have had it for a solid season, any complaints with the unit? Favorite feature? Wish you had gotten anything else or that it could do something else?

In one of your photos, did you have to cut the hole larger or is that how it came from the factory for the head-unit? For the swim-deck, Also for the swim-deck control, was it an easy hook-up to the head-unit, or was there more to it than plug-n-play. I have never dabbled in car or marine stereo stuff before, so I am a bit hesitant. Wishing Fusion would make an adapter plate for the remote, similar to the head-unit, to cover the hole up.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replaced the stock stereo system in my 2010 242 LS about two years ago with a fusion 670, a wired remote and two wireless remotes among other things. I bought the adapter kit from crutchfield for about $25, I did have to use a dreamer to get the adapter plate to fit properly but only cut away 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch around the opening in the dash to do so. If all you do is listen to the radio consider a lower model fusion instead as they are much less expensive. Also note that fusion head units only have four channels so if you want to properly power all the speakers independently you will need to get at least one additional two or four channel amp.

The wired remote is great, like another head unit. I mounted it on the swim deck and someone stepped on the side of the control know and broke it off. If I can’t fix it I’m out a another $250 for a new unit. The wireless units are $50 each and are fine for. Controlling the volume and moving back and forth in a play list. You have to use key combos to control other features.

warning: if you want to use the ESP feature of the head unit you have to have fusion components. I messed with it for the swim deck amp (kicker) and speakers (also kicker) and ended up blowing one of my speakers (8” kicker with less), I can’t buy just one so that experiment will cost about $200 this off season.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very interesting about the ESP feature, and it having to be Fusion components.

We probably could get away with a lesser model, but I have always been of the nature to buy the best that I can afford, and like some of the features of the 670 or 770. Also like the idea of the zone control incase in the future we add a couple speakers (tower or swim deck). And yes I know I would have to get an amp at that point.

I have seen replacement knobs for some of the stereos. Not sure if they would work on the remote. But for $5 or so, it might be worth it to try, vs. being out $250.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My only complaint is that I need to connect my phone via USB to push any updates. So minor annoyance.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will look for a replacement knob for my wired remote but I’m not hopeful that one is available. It’s sucks because there is only one knob but it controls a lot in that it can be turned and pushed. For instance it controls volume by being turned left and right but it also controls zone selection by being pushed.

the esp on fusion head units is proprietary to fusion components (speakers and amps). Apparently the fusion 8” speakers can handle more power than the kicker 8” speakers I bought (I will check the kicker amp that powers my speakers before replacing one or both of my 8” kicker speakers).

if you only have 4 speakers now no amp is needed. If you have 6 to 8 speakers (4 (or 6) x 6.5” + 2 x 1” tweeters) in the oem configuration than you won’t need an amp either since the 4 channels coming out of the stock head unit are split fronts to the bow and tower tweeters and rears to the cockpit and swim deck.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Currently our boat only has 4 speakers. Not sure how the wife feels about tower speakers, swim deck speakers, or mid-boat speakers. Those are my dreams/wants. So if I am understanding you correctly, I will be fine without an amp with the current 4 that I have. And I can zone them, zone 1 (Bow) and zone 2 (stern). Future zone 3 (tower or swim-deck).

According to the literature that I have on the CMD8, it is 18W x 4 @ 4ohms. The Fusion 670 is 23W x 4 @ 4ohms. Hopefully the stock speakers will be supportive of that.

As for the DSP function that is specific to Fusion components, could you compare the specs of the speakers you have with the Fusion and cross-reference them. That way you are not loosing out on a function, or do they not align spec-wise?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@The Canuck You are correct about not needing an amp for 4 Speakers, You only have 4 speakers so no splitting going on.

also correct about hold zone 4 in reserve.

as for comparing fusion and non fusion component specs, I tried to do it but the specs of my kicker amp and speakers don’t line up very well against their fusion counterparts. I activated the dip function on that zone (3) anyway which is how I blew a speaker and/or amp. Maybe you will fair better and if you don’t you are only out the stock speaker which I’ve seen may members give away upon upgrading.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@flyingnugget I am thinking of replacing the CMD8 with the Fusion 670 or maybe the 770 (probably overkill for us). Since you have had it for a solid season, any complaints with the unit? Favorite feature? Wish you had gotten anything else or that it could do something else?

In one of your photos, did you have to cut the hole larger or is that how it came from the factory for the head-unit? For the swim-deck, Also for the swim-deck control, was it an easy hook-up to the head-unit, or was there more to it than plug-n-play. I have never dabbled in car or marine stereo stuff before, so I am a bit hesitant. Wishing Fusion would make an adapter plate for the remote, similar to the head-unit, to cover the hole up.
Hey there @The Canuck,

Dude, I'm so sorry I'm just getting back to you. Been away from home for 5 days and didnt visit the forum for some reason while I was away and I'm just seeing your post. So let me get this going.

So, The Fusion 670 has been great! I've been very happy with it and have very little complaints. I believe the 670vs770 is just that the 770 has an extra zone that you can assign speakers to for a total of 4. And speaking of zones, that is my favorite feature! I have (2) bow speakers on zone 1, (4) cockpit speakers on zone 2 and the (2) transom speakers (with future tower speakers) on zone 3. LOVE being able to control the volumes in each zone depending on my needs,, cruising, surfing or just chillin at the sand bar. Makes a huge difference on turning one zone up and the others down or off. LOVE it.

As for wishing I had gotten something else? Nahhh, I've been very happy with the unit, Fusion and Crutchfield. I've had to call Fusion a couple of times for help with software updates and they were great and had me on my way. Crutchfield is a great company to buy from. Their Customer Service is by far the best I've had to deal with when getting suggestions, help and returns. Would Highly suggestioin them when you buy.
As for the Fusion Head unit at the helm, Nope...I didn't have to cut anything . I removed the Clarion and then bought the fusion face plate adapter kit and it fits and looks great with the 670 in it.

Now for the swim platform remote. That one has been a bit more of a pain and I don't mean that in quality or functionality. When you remove the old "round and big" Clarion remote it leaves a larger circular hole that the new square smaller fusion remote head unit can cover. So I ended up using some 1/2" black Delrin/Acetal plastic ( same as a plastic cutting board) and used the fusion template to cut out the opening for the new remote and made sure it was wide enough to cover the round opening. The remote is connected to the Head Unit via a LAN cable. Plugs into the back of the HU and the transom remote. Simple as that. I agree, wish they made an adapter plate for the transom too.

I had to return one remote unit back to Crutchfield. The display died on me after about 2 months. They replaced it after some trouble shooting. The second unit has been rock steady.

Now for the remote unit, its a small version of the HU. You can do most anything you want with it such as change sources, different zones and different volume levels. The display on both the HU and transom remote are beautiful colors and bright enough to see in the sunlight. The most difficult part of the transom remote was removing the old one and the bracket it uses to hold in place.

Hope this helps..IF you need anything else shoot me anpther post or PM me. I'm off and home for several days.

Good Luck

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One additional feature of the 770 is WiFi connectivity. Not worth the extra $100 to $200 too me so I went with the 670 instead.

here are a few pics of my system. I speaker or amp pics as my boat is locked up and covered right now.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
According to the literature that I have on the CMD8, it is 18W x 4 @ 4ohms. The Fusion 670 is 23W x 4 @ 4ohms. Hopefully the stock speakers will be supportive of that.
The problem is you're wasting your money if you expect it to be louder. If you just want the features and similar volume levels, go for it. But don't expect much more volume.

Wattage ratings are not linear and it does not equate to perceived volume, so although the Fusion is rated 28% higher watts, in reality it means about 2dB louder. For reference 1dB = the slightest volume change most people can perceive which means you will barely notice a difference. And add to that the ratings of head units is at max output, one channel at 1KHz, with too much distortion to listen to it. This means the ratings are about 80% higher than real world usage - once the head unit tries to drive 4 speakers at volume, it simply runs out of power from the output stage. That's why adding even a simple 25w+ amp makes such a big difference as it has the power to drive the speakers properly.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@The Canuck , there is some good info in this thread for ya. @212s has a great point. I made the mistake and assumed you were adding an amp to the Fusion. Besides functionality, you wont hear much difference at all by changing out the head units unfortunately.

I changed my HU to the fusion but also added a Wet Sounds HTX-6 amplifier and paired it with a Wet sounds AS-10 500w sub.

Good luck and let us know if you have anymore questions or need some suggestions

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the info. Not necessarily looking for louder, but more functions and ease. Our lake is not large enough nor are we "competing" with anyone for sound. Like the idea of the zones and simplicity of the interface that I have seen so far. Plus we are somewhat future proof if we decide to upgrade/update the system.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wrote to Fusion asking if they make a plate for the remote that would be similar to the head unit adapter. Very quick response, but sadly nothing in the works as of yet. Sure a piece of black plastic will work, but it looks so much better if it is of the same look and feel as the head unit.

Wonder if something like that could be 3D printed?

Brian McIver

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

+1 on a factory adapter for the erx400. I have a 2017 212 Lim S and plan on replacing (bypassing actually) the pa4a with the new hidden fusion head unit and the erx400 on the stern. The hole for the polk unit is considerably larger.