• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gimme some Details on Details....

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got a quote for a full detailing of our '14 AR240....

$750 includes:

Pickup/dropoff
Acid wash the hull
Full compound
Wet sand (where needed)
Wash
Wax
Interior Cleaned and protected w/303
Bimini gets 303
Windows Washed
Compartments vacuumed/wiped clean

I'm looking for feedback on (2) questions.....

1. Does that sound like a fair price?
2. Should I do it now or before the beginning of NEXT season?
(we just pulled her out for the season)

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got a quote for a full detailing of our '14 AR240....

$750 includes:

Pickup/dropoff
Acid wash the hull
Full compound
Wet sand (where needed)
Wash
Wax
Interior Cleaned and protected w/303
Bimini gets 303
Windows Washed
Compartments vacuumed/wiped clean

I'm looking for feedback on (2) questions.....

1. Does that sound like a fair price?
2. Should I do it now or before the beginning of NEXT season?
(we just pulled her out for the season)
I would do it before the next season. You are done already? I thought you move to GA from NY?

Sounds high to me but I do my own. If I were to charge someone to do it. That sounds fair.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
1. NO!!!!
2. I think this one is personal preference. Personally I’d do it in the spring and have a nice clean boat you’re using, not a nice clean boat under a cover.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Is it in that bad of shape to need all of that @0627Devildog ? I do everything myself but I would agree with @djetok ... If I was to do all that work for someone else (with no overheads) it seems like a legit price.

#2... if you are keeping it indoors all winter with the cover on, there will be no elements other than some dust to contaminate over the winter. pull it out, hot sauce it before you dip it in the spring (IMO). What happens if GA weather breaks and you are ready to go in the spring... then having to deal with all this. Just a thought.

Hope you're enjoying the south! Cheers.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We had similar done with marine klean in Buford was 600 I think on my sx230

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am cheap. I do mine myself. I think if I dropped $750 on just cleaning up my boat my wife would kill me (and then sell the boat).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got quotes a year or two ago. The guys at Home Depot wanted $20 per foot, the guys on Craigslist that are mobile wanted $20 per foot and the guy who has a shop wanted $20 per foot. Sounds like your guy wants over $30 per foot. I paid someone hundreds to detail my boat once, I won’t do so again, just too expensive for beauty that does not last long, if I do i will be hiring my son and his friends, they always need money and I don’t mind helping them out when I can. It won’t be a great job but it won’t cost $500 to $750 either.

When to have your boat detailed? I say just before the season starts. I don’t have a good reason to detail a boat that is about to be put in storage (out of sight) for the next 6 + months.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To do ALL of that seems to be a fair price. Does it really need all compounded! Patchy wet sanding? I love washing my boats, it's therapy for me. I wash the Sea Ray most weekends that we use it and it's almost every weekend. I can wax a boat and keep it shiny, but when it comes to compounding I pay a pro to do that. To do all that on 23/24' boat, and you don't have the time or want to take the time, then I think it's well worth it. Welcome to the south!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems high to me. Not sure how much work is entailed in the wet sanding/buffing/polishing/waxing.

Considering man hours here's what I came up with. I'm being generous with these as well IMO.

Wipe/Vacuum/Windows/303 the interior = 3hrs
Wash/Wax Exterior = 4hrs
Spot sand/buff/polish exterior = 3hrs

(10hrs @ $50/hr) + $75 supplies/tools.etc = $575

Maybe $750 isn't terrible. I suspect it will depend greatly on the existing condition of the hull. Mine just takes a quick wash and spray and it looks new again. If you have oxidation and such to deal with, that might be the price adder?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Considering man hours here's what I came up with. I'm being generous with these as well IMO.

Wash/Wax Exterior = 4hrs

Those hours would be a sloths pace

Wipe/Vacuum/Windows/303 the interior = 40min
Wash/Wax Exterior = 90 min
Spot sand/buff/polish exterior = 30 min most of it is done while waxing

just over 2 1/2 hours do it your self the beginning of next season . Its a great work out as well break a sweat take pride in doing something yourself and its very therapeutic.

spend your hard earned money on this kit

micj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In my experience.....$20 a foot is standard for a basic detail that does not include acid washing the hull, full compound, wet sand where needed, pick up and drop off. . I personally made sure the place that detailed my previous boat had a good reputation. As far as time, a "detail job" takes a lot of time. I compare it to washing and waxing my truck. I can wash and wax my truck thoroughly but a detail job is gonna include vents, door jams, fender wells, dirt near door hinges, shampoo interior etc. No way I can fully detail my boat in 2 1/2 hours. Just the sand alone that gets in the every tiny spot is a pain in the a$$ to get out and takes time not to mention the washing, waxing inside, cleaning/conditioning seats.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those hours would be a sloths pace

Wipe/Vacuum/Windows/303 the interior = 40min
Wash/Wax Exterior = 90 min
Spot sand/buff/polish exterior = 30 min most of it is done while waxing

just over 2 1/2 hours do it your self the beginning of next season . Its a great work out as well break a sweat take pride in doing something yourself and its very therapeutic.

spend your hard earned money on this kit

Those seem overly quick to me. I'm probably closer to a sloth, and most likely more detail oriented than Joe Average though. Perhaps por's are that fast?

If I paid $400 ($20/ft) for a detail, and they called and told me it was done in 2.5hrs, I would be highly suspect of the quality of the job done.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had oxidation on all the white areas when I got mine... they did a 3 step wash compound and sealer on it as well as interior.

If they just wash and waxed or sealed would have been in the $450 range. They decided sealing the gelcoat would do better then waxing it since I was headed to coast the next week and going to be in salt water.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would do it before the next season. You are done already? I thought you move to GA from NY?
We did, but we haven't had any rain and they are drawing the lake down a bit early this season. The lift I have in my slip needs 5' 5" min to get low enough to get the boat off and we are losing .15 -.20 ft/day. I could probably make it until October if I put in an EZ-Dock type lift. Vetting options before next season for sure.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am cheap. I do mine myself. I think if I dropped $750 on just cleaning up my boat my wife would kill me (and then sell the boat).
You guys know me..... I do EVERYTHING myself. But with all the projects I have in the new house that I can't outsource I was trying to get SOMETHING off my plate.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems high to me. Not sure how much work is entailed in the wet sanding/buffing/polishing/waxing.

Wash/Wax Exterior = 4hrs

Maybe $750 isn't terrible. I suspect it will depend greatly on the existing condition of the hull. Mine just takes a quick wash and spray and it looks new again. If you have oxidation and such to deal with, that might be the price adder?
I have ZERO oxidation but I DO have some bumper rash that will require some light wet sanding/compounding

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Updated Quote from a reputable local mobile detailing service. $480.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
$21 per foot is the rate I have heard down here in a salt water environment, but that does not include an acid wash or wet sanding.

I do not know why you would need either the acid wash or wet sanding based on your description of your boat's condition. Your bumper rash should not require wet sanding; with today's compounds and buffers you only need wet sanding to address very severe oxidation or deep damage (frankly wet sanding will only save you time - you can do everything with compound).

I one-step (polish and wax) my boat each year, and the hull looks better than the day I bought it. It takes me 2.5 hours to do the hull, and I spend another 3 hrs cleaning/waxing the inside.

Your $480 quote above sounds reasonable. I would just ensure that the quote includes buffing out the scuffs.