• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Glastron GT 187 - 150, 200 or 250hp?

martinandrew39

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Hey all,

I am in the market for a new, bigger jet boat.

I have it (somewhat) narrowed down to the 2015 Glastron GT187. Right now I have the option of either the 150hp rotax or the HO 250hp rotax. There's a considerable price jump between the two boats, but price is not the main factor here.

What are some pros and cons? Any experiences?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here's a couple of things to think about. Elevation will affect naturally aspirated (non turbo/supercharger) quite a bit as you climb. thus if you're boring at elevation above 2,000 feet, you'd likely notice a difference.

Current -- either River or Tidal. Depending on where you boat, you may find yourself needing to run against the current and in that situation more power would be welcome.

Weight -- the more loaded your boat will be, the more power it'll take to move it along.

When it comes down to it, I tend to follow my dad's advice in that there's nothing more dangerous than an underpowered boat. As he used to say, very few people ever wished they had LESS power in their boat when then wanted it.

Just my 2 cents...

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am sure I will piss someone off but oh well, I have learned from my own experience that 150 hp is not quite enough no matter what make or model. Keep in mind supercharged watercraft use premium fuel and a ton of it and they have a lot of maintenance requirements way more than non supercharged engines, so if you are a sit on a sand bar and drink all day sort of boater then you won't put a lot of hours on your machine and won't be burning up hundreds of dollars of fuel every day you go out, however on the other hand aside from the my engine is bigger than yours mentality , getting to the sand bar to drink all day won't really require all that horsepower anyway.
However if you are planning on putting some serious hours on your boat cruising and water sport activity you want a very reliable worry free boating experience.
I would always suggest the naturally aspirated models. I have learned this the hard way myself and I feel that having reliability is the most important thing when you are out on the water with friends and family or alone.
So basically what I am saying is get a Yamaha with 1800 engines and win both ways.
In the words of Dennis Miller " that's just my opinion, I could be wrong"

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Whats the difference between 187 with 250 hp and a 21 footer with twin 150?

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you have the option for the 200hp Rotex? I have the supercharged 210hp Yamaha engine in my 19 footer, it's enough power, but I wish I had more. I like going fast

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Go big or go home