• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GMC Sierra EV

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
At least they didn't photoshop that ugly front end from the Rivian onto the Denali!

I like the cute eyes on this 1960 bugeye Austin Healey:

Picture 1 of 3

Not so much on the Rivian.

Jim

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
$73,658 USD
Ugh, exchange rates really suck right now for those looking for USD. (that is an undiscussed factor in the current financial crisis) More on topic, honestly sounds inexpensive, a Sierra Denali for $73k? I would’ve expected $80s minimum. Maybe my frame of reference is Yukons. 🤷‍♂️

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ugh, exchange rates really suck right now for those looking for USD. (that is an undiscussed factor in the current financial crisis) More on topic, honestly sounds inexpensive, a Sierra Denali for $73k? I would’ve expected $80s minimum. Maybe my frame of reference is Yukons. 🤷‍♂️
I would've guessed $85k. You're not off base.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A loaded f150 platinum is about 85k. This makes sense because it's definitely 10k more truck than the gm.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Semi unrelated, TFL Truck has a walkthrough of the new EV Ram.

My lord it's hideous. And it seems like all the automakers keep trying to find stupid ways to make the tailgate that has already been perfected less practical.

It has a neat passthrough all the way through the truck, 18' long or whatever. 3 (sort of) rows of seats, cupholders in the frunk, suicide doors, and a bunch of weird stuff that I'm sure won't make it to production.

It's way too funky for me. I get that it's very much a concept car, but man, I think the production truck is gonna be too funky and too late to the game.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is indeed a “Hot Wheels” car. I was hoping to see something more production ready. Doesn’t tell me much about what to expect. Wait until @2kwik4u hears he has to put a 14” tablet in his pocket every time he leaves his truck! 😉

My lord it's hideous. And it seems like all the automakers keep trying to find stupid ways to make the tailgate that has already been perfected less practical.

It has a neat passthrough all the way through the truck, 18' long or whatever. 3 (sort of) rows of seats, cupholders in the frunk, suicide doors, and a bunch of weird stuff that I'm sure won't make it to production.

It's way too funky for me. I get that it's very much a concept car, but man, I think the production truck is gonna be too funky and too late to the game.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Absolute dog shit. Why can’t any of them just make something normal. Expected much better and was very disappointed

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is indeed a “Hot Wheels” car. I was hoping to see something more production ready. Doesn’t tell me much about what to expect. Wait until @2kwik4u hears he has to put a 14” tablet in his pocket every time he leaves his truck! 😉
I'm gonna revolt, I swear I will......but then I'll do it anyway.

I read something the other day about us GenX'rs......We bitch about technology like a
I'm gonna revolt......Through a coup against all smartphones and revert to my old Nextel Flip Phone...........and then I'll accept my fate and comply.

As a GenX kid, I get the interesting parts of Boomers and Millenials.......I adapt like the younguns, and bitch about it the whole time like the old fogeys!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got a link? I've googled and went through TFL playlists I can find and don't see it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@adrianp89 @BlkGS

Styling isn't awesome. Lets hope they tone it down a click for production. It's clearly a "concept" level prototype. Some of the styling choices (like the wheels).

Concept wise.....I have some thoughts.

I love the jump seats, and suicide doors. That's some good alternative thinking that drops the "we've always done it this way" mentality.The sliding (and hopefully removable or foldable) second row has the potential for a lot of enclosed/conditioned storage. I'm thinking road trip here with luggage behind the second row to stay dry and cool/warm, and gear in the bed that is less sensitive to water/etc. I like the premise of more than 5 seatbelts in a full-size pickup as well. Even if you have to put the smaller people in the jump seats, you could take a group to lunch in one vehicle. It's interesting and shows some promise.

Steering wheel shape (I dislike yokes and flat spots on steering wheels) is a miss for me. We've beat the center stack screens argument to death, but I'm still there. Only exception would be a significantly large HUD for the driver. Wouldn't help with the steering wheel, but would at least help with the constant head turning to see how fast you're going.

Whatever is etched into the sunroof (as well as those LED's) is a nope for me , however I like the placement and potential for T-Tops or something similar with that center structure and glass on the sides. Could be a neat option.

The "frunk to cabin" passthrough is an interesting choice, Not sure why you would need or want that. Guess you could put a keg up there and a tap in the console or something? No way I'm putting a 2x4 through there. What a shit show a crash would be with that setup. Not sure what the heck else you would use it for to be honest, not sure it hurts anything to be there though.

Tailgate interesting. Looks like there might be one of the "bed extender" things built into the tailgate. I had one of those on my ZR5 years ago and used it far more often than I expected. Was a neat device considering the bed was so short. I used it just as much to keep stuff near the tailgate (like groceries) as I did to make the bed longer. Not sure how I feel about barn doors, but then again I've never used them. Like the premise of getting my arms further in the bed and not having to reach over a tailgate, so maybe they work well.

Overall, they're late to the game, and I don't see enough here to sway a GM/Ford fan away from those offerings. Price, capability, and availability will likely drive sales as much as brand loyalty, tech, and design if I'm a guessing man. After watching the Rivina guys suffer through winter range reduction and charging issues as the EA/Chargepointe grid loads up, I'm starting to shy away from my EV zealousness a bit. Coupled with personal budget constraints I'm not certain I'll be picking up my EV Silverado if/when it ever comes to fruition. I think I'm over a year into reservation holding at this point.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I saw a new Ford Lightning EV the other day for the first time in person. I have to say I am happy to see they stuck with the basic truck design and not some crazy off the wall design. Don’t get me wrong I like a refresh every once and a while, but if you can adapt the current tooling in your ICE vehicles to an EV, I would imagine the profit margins would be much higher and maybe you can pass that savings on to your customers.. just me thinking rationally…. I like how Ford keeps the same generation of truck for several years opposed to GM (I own one) who changes up the design every couple of years. By the time you get one, it’s already outdated by a newer design.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw a new Ford Lightning EV the other day for the first time in person. I have to say I am happy to see they stuck with the basic truck design and not some crazy off the wall design. Don’t get me wrong I like a refresh every once and a while, but if you can adapt the current tooling in your ICE vehicles to an EV, I would imagine the profit margins would be much higher and maybe you can pass that savings on to your customers.. just me thinking rationally…. I like how Ford keeps the same generation of truck for several years opposed to GM (I own one) who changes up the design every couple of years. By the time you get one, it’s already outdated by a newer design.
I have a couple of small gripes with the Lightning EV, but generally agree. I think it's the easiest way to convert people over from ICE trucks to E trucks; don't change the entire formula, just the driveline. Ford was the first to market, and they have an extremely approachable package overall.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The seats are in no way shape or form gonna go to production. WAY too much liability and risk of them moving around or being loose in a wreck. Legal will nix that idea so fast I'm surprised they even let them show it. Suicide doors without b pillar is out in concept only land too, they might do suicide doors, but there will be a b pillar for sure, crash standard require the roof to be crazy strong, and there's no way they're gonna get that kind of strength over that distance without it.

The passthrough I can see having use of. Back in NC we had to replace deck boards a few times, they were 16' long or so. In the Colorado I ran them through the center window cuz I dgaf. But in the f150 it had that little cutout window and would have sat on glass, so we would hang them WAY out past the 5 foot bed. It's a niche case for sure, but I get the appeal. I'm a big fan of mid gates in general though.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a couple of small gripes with the Lightning EV, but generally agree. I think it's the easiest way to convert people over from ICE trucks to E trucks; don't change the entire formula, just the driveline. Ford was the first to market, and they have an extremely approachable package overall.
I see th.arpund pretty often. I appreciate that they're just an f150, but I think the front is hideous. The big light bar and solid grille look terrible to me.

I still maintain that a PHEV truck is what makes the most sense and would sell the best. The fact that there's now 3 hybrid trucks that don't offer a plug but offer decent EV only rangemeans there's something fishy going on. There's NO WAY that all 3 of them would decide that there's no advantage to it. There is some reason (possibly govt regulations, possibly wall st money) that they're skipping an insanely simple add on to developed vehicles to instead try to sell us gigantic battery vehicles. But if we as a society REALLY wanted to make a difference, we would PHEV everything so that all the small daily commutes, the stop and go, the things that EVs can do were electrified, and the stuff that wasn't the strong point for an EV could be handled by the ICE side of the vehicle. You literally just need to add a charging port to the hybrids already on sale.