• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GO Pro Camera

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For those in the buying mode, One thing to think about. With the black 3+ and anything that captures higher speed video you need a better memory card (not incl.) Go pro has recommendations for five or six class 10 video memory cards that are best for the camera capturing end video footage. otherwise you will not get clean footage at higher video recording rates.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I forgot to mention when using the gopro in the snow i use the case cover with holes in it because the sound comes out better than when the solid (water resistant) cover is used. The former doesn't block the mic.

Also consider buying and extra battery and the biggest class 10 (fast) memory card you can. A single battery all charged up lasts me 2.5 to 3 hours which about the video recording time on a 16 gb memory card. Batteries are $20 and I recently got a 32 gb card for $20 or so.

It's easy to spend a small fortune on go pro accessories so keep an eye on these purchases they add up fast and their total cost can quickly exceed the cost of the camera (the $200 white version anyway). For example the chesty (harness that wraps around your torso) is $40, frame case $40, surf board mount $40, LCD display $80, etc. the pole my son is using is from a third party and it was around $30, I felt stupid when the first time we used it I met a teenager who mounted his gopro on a painted plunger handle at a cost of under $1 (for the nut and bolt). I should have done that and still may before this weekend, I could use a shorter one and don't want to pay $20+ for it.

The white version is good enough for me right now, but I could see upgrading in the future not for the higher megapixels but for the higher video frame rates which are supposed to be better for slowing down and speeding up the footage. I think the best bang for the buck is the silver version. It has twice the megapixels as the white, a little less than the black, good frame rate but no wifi remote. Gopro 3s can be operated by smart phone or tablet so the remote is really not needed by most gopro users. This function also eliminates the need to purchase gopros stand alone LCD attachment in case users want to preview their shots or see what they have taken.

Sharing footage should be easy as well. If the people you want to share the footage with install the go pro app on there smart phones or tablets the gopro owner can give them access to down load or just view footage by letting them know the gopros wifi password.

Sorry if this is tmi, I've been into taking and editing video lately. Funny since when I got my first gopro (for free, a friend won it at an office party) probably 2 years ago I swore I would rarely use it. When it broke I ran out the next day and got a new one. Now Im combining its footage with that from my quad copter camera and stills from my other cameras and phone. I'm trying to find some cheaper less time consuming hobbies but haven't been that successful at that. At least being a member here doesn't cost me any money (until the next cool gadget comes along anyway).

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I bought a GP Hero 2 back about a year and a half ago brand new, used it in Hana on vacation, stuggled with the video editing, and haven't used it since. I offered it for sale on the old forum and never got any replies. A serious video freak could use this camera and do some major damage doing videos! I itemized all the equipment I had with it which is a bunch, including a correcting underwater filter mount to let you use any filter you want (in that size). I would like to sell it, getting into video is "a whole 'nother hobby" that I just don't seem to have the time or interest in. Some of you west coasters that do snowboarding/boating/wake surfing could get into the go pro movement very easily and cheaply with this puppy. Somebody take it off my hands!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You should repost it in the classified section Mel. As I recall it was a hell of a bundle at a good price.

I just noticed that I posted the wrong video earlier, it wasn't even mine. I've since removed the link. Here is a link to the correct video. Again, taken with my GoPro 3+ white edition and edited using GoPro's freeware.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
FYI - built a case out of a $13 waterproof tackle box and some Kaisen form from a local woodworking store. Learned a lot! Might make a different one someday. As already mentioned, you can drown in accessories $$, so choose the sports you want and shop around. Sometimes you can make mounts out of stuff you already have!image.jpg

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI - built a case out of a $13 waterproof tackle box and some Kaisen form from a local woodworking store. Learned a lot! Might make a different one someday. As already mentioned, you can drown in accessories $$, so choose the sports you want and shop around. Sometimes you can make mounts out of stuff you already have!View attachment 1597
LOVE IT!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good idea, thanks Ronnie!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like that case. I built a remote battery pack for my hero3 that uses 3 D-Cells. I use it on my dirt bike and like a battery that lasts all day. Not waterproof though as it uses the vented back. With the gopro app on my phone the remote that came with the camera sits gathering dust. I also have the old one but the quality of the new footage is amazing. Cam.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So, how do you take the back off the gopro without feeling like you are going to break it? I've only done it once, per the illustration in the manual, and I almost felt like I was going to break the case!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you mean the door to the case, take a good look at the hinge, the side on the case has a gap in it (at the bottom I think), you just need to position the door until you can pull it and the rod holding it to the case straight up through the gap. try and pull from the center but you may need to wiggle it left to right to get it started.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ronnie, you inspired me today to try something I had been thinking about. A couple of $ for the hardware and I already had the clamp:
image.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is sweet. I just saw the gopro version at bestbuy for $50. I like your version better, more compact, it looks good and is much cheaper. It's now on my list of things "to do/get" before the next boating season. Thanks for sharing.

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My son has the hero 3 white with the add on LCD touch screen...it works great and takes great videos, next step is the wifi remote so no more fumbling for buttons.

I have an HD Contour camera with build in GPS that can sync with my iphone, great little camera too and much easier to use than the gopro in my opinion..so far have only used it
with the goggle mount for snow skiing but can't wait to use it riding quads this spring and out on the boat this summer.

Troy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love my go pro. Their software for editing is supper easy. If you use a templet they already have it can even sync the music.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice video Troy. I've tried the templated but haven't been able to reverse engineer them to optimize them for my use.

Here is a link to a compilation of footage I took last weekend snowboarding with my son and friends. I'm having issues adding music without also cancelling out the original audio, other wise the video would be 6 mins. instead of just under 4. Hopefully, some better editing software will address this for me. I had about 5 hours of footage and it took me 6 hours to get it to 6 mins. so about an hour of editing per minute of video, I've read that this is normal (which sucks since it's still quite a bit of time). What's significant about this video is that I used several different mounts and positions to take the footage and used the slow motion and zoom features for the first time. I think the video quality would be a lot better if I had a black edition gopro, especially when those features are used Enjoy.

Last edited:

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a GP Hero 2 back about a year and a half ago brand new, used it in Hana on vacation, stuggled with the video editing, and haven't used it since. I offered it for sale on the old forum and never got any replies. A serious video freak could use this camera and do some major damage doing videos! I itemized all the equipment I had with it which is a bunch, including a correcting underwater filter mount to let you use any filter you want (in that size). I would like to sell it, getting into video is "a whole 'nother hobby" that I just don't seem to have the time or interest in. Some of you west coasters that do snowboarding/boating/wake surfing could get into the go pro movement very easily and cheaply with this puppy. Somebody take it off my hands!
You've piqued my interest, Mel!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Suchawittygal . I ran it in the classifieds and Jaws grabbed it from me Cheryl. Sorry.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have been go pro shopping here lately and for the price I am going to be picking up the black version. Like said before it already comes with the remote and if I bought the silver edition and then added a remote I will be in the ball park of the black edition anyways. Why not just get the better camera?

duanepillar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

SHot with Hero3 Black Edition with suction cup mount on windshield

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The remote for the gopro3s is almost irrelevant since you get the same and additional functionality using a smart phone or tablet (for instance you can also preview and review wha you are filming on a phone or tablet whereas if you want to do that otherwise you need he LCD attachment for another $80. The difference in the black edition for me is that to takes higher quality video (up to 60 frames per second) and the burst (sequential picture) speed is 12 fps compared to the white edition a 30 fps for video and 3 (I think)for sequential shots.

That said I will be upgrading soon probably to the black if not the silver, it will depend on how (broke or rich) I feel when I go to the store.