• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Going to tackle my first oil change by myself

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel like I took out slightly less than 3 quarts on one of the engines and put in just a hair over 3 quarts. Not sure if I should suck some out and then warm them up and re check dipstick and repeat until engines are close to same on dipsticks. It’s definitely reading a hair over full mark on dipstick
I wouldn't worry about it too too much. Once on the water you can recheck the levels and adjust if needed.

Keep in mind two things we have learned here. 1. If in doubt check the air filter for oil contamination, albeit the 1.8 are not as sensitive to overfill as MR-1s. 2. Whatever you do it is likely to be as good or better than your usual dealer performed oil change...

--

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hard to see it in this picture but this is the amount over the full mark I am. The big indent is the full mark and you can see I’m over that for sure. It looks like it goes up to that next slash mark above full mark. Not mark at top of the picture but the next one up from full. Not sure if enough to worry about. This is a cold reading so now I’m going to warm up the engine and see how it does warmed up. The other engine is slightly under the full mark.

Attachments

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My best measurement is its about a half inch over the full line even warmed up. Trailer is level.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I decided to just go ahead and remove some. I’m just under the full Mark now on both engines. I guess that’s best place to be?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That is the correct thing to do, in the future top off the level when you have the boat floating in the water , easier to add a bit than to have to remove it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Always place a level on the plastic engine cover when you are adjusting the level of the engine for oil changes that way you know the engine is level not the trailer. And only replace what you took out, top it off on the water and stay just a tad below the full mark maybe a pint lower than full

Bryon720

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you just spray this all over engines or select areas?

Do you use this instead of grease on cables and linkage?
I use it on the engines and the linkages.