• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Golfers.......Need some help with new clubs.....

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aight guys, I know I'm not the only one that plays here. Need some advice for a n00b on a new set of clubs.

I played "some" in middle and high school. Parents were into it, grandfather was into it. It never stuck for me. Fast forward until about 5 years ago and I picked up a crappy craigslist set of clubs for $100. I only had intentions of having a set so I could play 2-3 scrambles a year as a networking tool for work. I didn't care if I hit worth a crap, and really just showed up for the business leads and the beer. Fast forward to this winter and I find out I have 2 failing discs in my neck, and most of my normal activities are no longer really feasible. Mt Bike, Road Cycling, and hiking have all but killed my neck as I tried to push through, so I decided I still want to be outside and do things, golf it is. This also plays into our fall break vacation this year as we're going to visit my grandfather, who lives on Sawgrass in FL. My goal for this year is to get acceptable enough at golf that I can play a round with him on that course and not embarrass myself or him. I don't care how far I hit it, but I want to have reasonable control on hitting the ball straight-ish, and keep up speed of play without losing a ball every other hole.

In that effort, I made myself a deal; If I can hit nine consecutive holes without losing my ball then I will have acquired enough skill to reward myself with new clubs. Well, I made that happen a few weeks ago. Played Tuesday night with the company golf league guys (i'm playing every week now), shot a 53 on 9 holes and didn't lose my ball. That's still 21 over, but.....I didn't lose my ball. That was a big deal for me. Lots and lots of crap shots, missed putts, and wrong club choices, as well as poor strategy and all kinds of badness, but I didn't lose my ball. Well, I thought I knew exactly what clubs I was going to get, and have cash sitting aside for them, but now I'm looking around a little and wondering which way to go.

A quick note on the clubs front here. I don't really want to spend the cash to get fitted, or really want to get a super high end set. I would rather put fitting cash into lessons. I'm really only replacing the clubs because they have some physical damage on some of them, and well, I want to have a "nice" set of clubs to at least look the part. There's some psychology there that is likely a bigger boost than the new equipment. I have no delusions of new clubs "fixing" my poor shots, or otherwise being a saving grace for my game. I really just kind of want them, more than I need them.

Here's my current set of $100 craigslist clubs. Cougar X-Cat's. I suspect they are senior or ladies clubs as the driver shafts are EXCEPTIONALLY bendy and I have to swing absurdly slow to keep from slicing it 3-fairways over. I've since replaced the driver with a used Callaway from a guy at the office (for $50), and can put a LOT more power into the swing without the ball taking a trip 3-couties to the right. New driver has a stiff flex shaft. I hit the irons fairly decently and have worked on good contact first, then adding power into the swing. That seems to be working, and I'm playing an average distance of about 130-135yrd with my 7i, which seems to be about right.

1687448256247.png

New Clubs option #1: Stix. This is a mail order company that will sell a complete set of 14 clubs and a bag for right around $1.1k. That's about where I was wanting to spend, and they have excellent reviews. I like these because they all come in a single set. I place one order and they show up ready to play. Has all the clubs I need and they're a matched set. They look nice and will likely be just fine for me. They're clearly "beginner" level clubs, and I'm ok with that. I don't know what I need and this feels like a good place to start and "grow into them" over the next few seasons until I get better at this.

https://stix.golf/collections/sets/products/stix-golf-clubs-14-piece-complete-set <---That link has the complete set.

New clubs option #2: Maltby heads with custom shafts assembled from The Golf Works website. I've read a ton of reviews on these, and they also get high marks. Lots of people that play a lot of golf talk about how good these are. They're not really beginner friendly to spec/price them, but they have these "paks" where they match a known good combination of grips/shaft/heads and will assemble them for you and ship out. I can get the same club set from them, as I would from Stix using these "paks" for about the same money. Then I would get a bag from another vendor. I would be all in around $1.3k here, which is sneaking up on my $1.5k limit for these.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-sti2-graphite-iron-pak/p/pma0317mpf/ <--Iron "Pak"
https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-stf2-fairway-wood-pak/p/pma0315/<--Fairway wood Pak (would get a 3W and 4W)
https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-sth2-hybrid-paks/p/pma0316/ <--HybridPak (5H only)
https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-pure-track-tour-milled-ptm-4-putter-pak/p/pma0308/ <-- Putter Pak
https://www.jonessportsco.com/collections/stand-bags/products/trouper-r-charcoal <--New Bag if I went this route.

I'm sure there are some deals out there on used equipment, and I could likely get some higher quality stuff for the same money. I'm also a n00b at this and have no idea what I'm looking at, or where to find those used sets. I like that I can get all the things I need here to revise my clubset, and I like the idea of a "matched set" for all the clubs.

What do you guys and gals think?!?!

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok. That was a lot. How tall are u and how much do u weigh? Fast or slow swing speed?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok. That was a lot. How tall are u and how much do u weigh? Fast or slow swing speed?
Yea, I'm a bit of a novelist. Sorry.

6'2" tall
235lbs currently. It's mostly in my gut, I had the same build at 185lbs just no belly
Not sure I have a number for you on swing speed. I'll say fast. I can hit that Callaway driver 250yds with about a 225 carry if I hit it slow and straight. If I swing the dammit out of the club I can carry 275 or so, but have almost zero control on direction. I've hit a full 300yds once or twice, but was literally on the far side of the next fairway over. Average, purposefully slow, controlled swing finds the ball about 200-210 and modestly straight.

Right or left handed ?
Right handed.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Both kids out of the house, so I'm playing twice a week with guys from work. Never played before and have a hand me down set..so I'm listening..thanks for posting.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your issue is your height I’d advise buying a used nice set on eBay. It will say you a ton of money. But buying a set with longer shafts might be a little harder to find. I’m a left handed golfer so I had issues finding what I wanted and the prices are better for right handed as well

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your issue is your height I’d advise buying a used nice set on eBay. It will say you a ton of money. But buying a set with longer shafts might be a little harder to find. I’m a left handed golfer so I had issues finding what I wanted and the prices are better for right handed as well
I figured my height was giving me fitment issues. I like both the GolfWorks and the Stix clubs new because they allow for the longer shafts during purchase.

Have some friends that say I should get fitted for clubs before buying anything. While I agree that my height probably isn't helping me, I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that level of precision. My wing is still far to inconsistent to think that a fitter could get any good data from me. Might talk to one anyway to see what they say, but I feel like I need to get better at what I'm doing before that........unless the short/flexy clubs are what is causing my issues in the first place.

Such a nuanced game. Mt Biking was so much easier. The equipment was never the issue, it's always been my fitness :D :D

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i get the ease of them, but not really a fan of the 'full-sets-in-a-box'.
feel like most guys would be happier longer with some 'better' used stuff...and there would still be value when you are ready to fine-tune and upgrade.
without going thru a fitting, or watching you swing, i'd guess you'd be looking for a 1 or 2 degree upright set and +1" long...prob stiff flex?
maybe comb thru fb marketplace or ebay for some blue or green dot ping G series irons?
callawaypreowned.com has used clubs organized by ability kind of...look through their game (or super) improvement category.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I buy everything here now. Enormous selection and reliable condition ratings.

Edit: as far as club type I’d just focus on some regular cavity back irons. No giant game improvement irons or blades.
Brand probably doesn’t matter that much. I play Titleist AP1s and love them but that doesn’t mean much. I play Ping driver and love it except for the sound.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you really think you need longer than normal you should get some kind of fitting at a golf shop. At least go and pretend you’re gonna buy something and have them measure you for that.
Taller people have longer arms too so you may be fine.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your height is not that big of a deal. Taller people means longer arms. I’m 6’5”. I’ve been fitted twice. My clubs both times were 1/2” over standard. Lie angle is probably the biggest factor for tall people.

so I started reading your initial post and I gave up when you said you don’t want to spend money on fitted clubs but want to spend it on lessons. That’s not a bad plan really. So here’s the best advice in picking some new clubs. Pick a set that are designed for mid to high handicaps. Hold the club at address. If you look down and like the way it looks. Buy it. I literally had a golf fitter tell me that once. It’s more mental than anything.

Next, take your lessons. But focus on green backwards when you go practice. Develop a good putting stroke, buy a putter you like. Then master chipping and pitching, then 9 iron-6 iron. You will save more strokes with 1 and 2 putts than anything else. And the best way to 1 putt is to be able to chip it close.

check out Danny Maude on YouTube.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I buy everything here now. Enormous selection and reliable condition ratings.

Edit: as far as club type I’d just focus on some regular cavity back irons. No giant game improvement irons or blades.
Brand probably doesn’t matter that much. I play Titleist AP1s and love them but that doesn’t mean much. I play Ping driver and love it except for the sound.
Dude.....You're going to cost me so much money. That's a really good site with tons of selection. Even the "average" usage stuff looks nicer than most of my clubs.

Between you guys and the reddit thread I started I'm leaning away from buying a "box set" of all the things now. Watched some videos last night on the most forgiving drivers. Going to keep researching forgiving irons, then move to wedges. Not sure what's going to get replaced first, besides the bag. I might not get the "Gee-whiz" factor of a completely new set, and I suspect I'll likely spend more than my $1.5k budget when it's all said and done, but it's starting to feel like a better decision, and I can spread the spending over some time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your height is not that big of a deal. Taller people means longer arms. I’m 6’5”. I’ve been fitted twice. My clubs both times were 1/2” over standard. Lie angle is probably the biggest factor for tall people.

so I started reading your initial post and I gave up when you said you don’t want to spend money on fitted clubs but want to spend it on lessons. That’s not a bad plan really. So here’s the best advice in picking some new clubs. Pick a set that are designed for mid to high handicaps. Hold the club at address. If you look down and like the way it looks. Buy it. I literally had a golf fitter tell me that once. It’s more mental than anything.

Next, take your lessons. But focus on green backwards when you go practice. Develop a good putting stroke, buy a putter you like. Then master chipping and pitching, then 9 iron-6 iron. You will save more strokes with 1 and 2 putts than anything else. And the best way to 1 putt is to be able to chip it close.

check out Danny Maude on YouTube.
I figured some of the benefit of new clubs was psychological. I know my cycling gear is that way. Just feels good to have a new piece of equipment. Might not actually affect my performance all that much, but I'll at least feel better mentally about it.

I'll be going to a few places this weekend and seeing about getting a rudimentary fitting, just to verify length of club if nothing else. No idea how much it costs, but it seems like a lot of people are telling my I need to get at least somewhat of a handle on it. Back to bicycles, you have to get at least close on the frame size before you can get comfortable on the bike. Golfs gotta be at least somewhat the same right?!?!

Now......off to do more researching and spend some money.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would stick with the top names if I were you....Taylormade, Titleist, or Ping. Ping has a fairly simple fitting guide based upon height/weight so you can size yourself pretty quickly online. Not going to be as good as a fitting but should at least get your lie/loft's close based upon your height.

look for game improvement irons or max game improvement irons...stay away from players irons/blades. I would stick with hybrids instead of longer irons (maybe 3/4/5 be hybrids and irons would be 6 through PW). I usually replace clubs partially.....start with irons, then next seasons, wedges, then next season, driver/fairway woods, etc. get on a rotation every couple of years so you're keeping up with technology but not replacing everything all at once.

Tour Edge also makes great clubs and usually are a little cheaper than Taylormade/Titleist/Ping/Callaway.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
was just looking at your links in the original post....I would definitely stay away from the Stix and the goflworks clubs.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure what your neck issue is but I just about have completed chiropractic adjustment schedule for the last 5 months and have corrected a major shift in C5-6 that was compressing nerves. Worth looking into if your issue is similar.

Go to you local box store for a fitting at Dick's, Golf Galaxy, PGA Pro Store or at least have them do your wrist to floor measurement. You can do this measurement as well and will give you the data needed in ordering the proper length of club. Lie angles can be adjusted down the road if you get skilled enough.

Check out www.callowaygolfpreowned.com for some really nice clubs at a huge savings. I have purchased most of my set there and came brand new still with plastic on the heads. They have a used rating scale that will show you just how used they may be. Sounds like you should stick with the Regular or Stiff flex at your swing speed. I have the APEX 19's and have served me well. Here's what they have in the Apex 21's currently Callaway Apex 21 Irons | Apex Iron Set | Specs & Reviews

Above all it is practice practice practice. But good practice that is approved by a teacher, you do not want to engrain bad moves.

Good luck and hit 'em straight!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what your neck issue is but I just about have completed chiropractic adjustment schedule for the last 5 months and have corrected a major shift in C5-6 that was compressing nerves. Worth looking into if your issue is similar.
Compressed and bulging disc between C3-C4, and a ruptured disc between C5-C6. Started at Chiropractor, then moved to neurosurgeon after a CT scan revealed it wasn't an alignment issue, but a soft (ish) tissue problem. Did some pain management, and some physical therapy around the first of the year, that helped. Now it doesn't hurt unless I "aggravate" it. Which could be as simple as sleeping on it wrong on the couch, and as aggressive as heavy mountain biking where I'm at an odd angle and have high G-loading into the spine. Golf doesn't seem to bother it, and neither does riding the wakeskate. So, I still have those. Neurosurgeon refuses to do surgery on me to (as he says) "Support my extreme sport lifestyle" of cycling and working out......I need a second opinion, but until it hurts again I really haven't pursued it.

Go to you local box store for a fitting at Dick's, Golf Galaxy, PGA Pro Store or at least have them do your wrist to floor measurement. You can do this measurement as well and will give you the data needed in ordering the proper length of club. Lie angles can be adjusted down the road if you get skilled enough.

Check out www.callowaygolfpreowned.com for some really nice clubs at a huge savings. I have purchased most of my set there and came brand new still with plastic on the heads. They have a used rating scale that will show you just how used they may be. Sounds like you should stick with the Regular or Stiff flex at your swing speed. I have the APEX 19's and have served me well. Here's what they have in the Apex 21's currently Callaway Apex 21 Irons | Apex Iron Set | Specs & Reviews

Above all it is practice practice practice. But good practice that is approved by a teacher, you do not want to engrain bad moves.

Good luck and hit 'em straight!!
Thanks for the links and recommendations. I suspect I'm already engraining bad habits, however I'm also currently wildly inconsistent. I might get ahold of a good drive and be 275yds in the center of the fairway, or I could swing to hard and forget to rotate my hands and be 3 fairways over and only 185yds out. Irons are getting better for me, I feel like I've gotten my contact pretty dialed in and I'm starting to add power to it. Really pumped an 8-iron two weeks ago and flew it almost 160yrds. I was trying to lay up before the green (and front trap), and ended up slightly behind it.

I'm starting to look into the pre-owned route. It's certainly not as simple as just picking my length,flex, and saying clicking buy now, but I suspect I'll be happier with it. Guess we'll see.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Go get fitted. You'll save yourself a lot of grief out on the course. People quit the game out of frustration, only to find out their equipment didn't fit them. Get fitted and then find a set of pre-owned clubs to start with. Or just buy some new ones. I recommend super game improvement, or at least game improvement clubs top start. Stay away from blades and the small iron heads. Now go do it!

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure about what local golf shops are available to you, but I was fitted years ago at a local shop (Austad's) and the fitment was free when purchasing the iron set through the shop. I spent around 1k for a new set of Callaway irons. I've been playing golf since I was about 5 years old and it was my first time ever being fitted. Highly recommend getting fitted.