• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

GoPro Help plz

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hey guys.
So I have a decent amount of gopro footage now. But every time I have something indoors or in low lighting, It looks horrid! It's very grainy, like, video digital noise. Outside videos work ok, but sometimes have the same effect.
Where is the best and quickest place I can upload these videos for an example? Youtube?

*edit*
This is just raw footage from the camera, not anything done in the editor. Will that make any difference at all? I have a friend I am trying to work on this with, and he has done the editing etc. and sees no difference.

They are not good in low light situations at all. May be able to clean some of it up with editing software but don't expect much at all.

You tube or Vimeo is the easiest place to upload.

With Final Cut Pro you can run color on the clip and autobalance brightness... that process takes for ever, but it can help a bunch in low-light situations. iMovie also has some capabilities in this realm, but nothing like FCP does. Not sure what winblows has to offer with movie maker...

Adobe Premier elements has features on par with FCP and is not nearly as expensive.

I use FCP just because I work in that space so I use it to get familiar with it as a tool.

In the end, it REALLY depends on what type of sensor your camera has and what format you encoded the video in. If I use my Nikon and encode in raw, I can work magic. If I use my GoPro and I encode with high compression... then I can still bring out the details in lighting, but then after adjusting contrast to not make it look like you're staring into a light... it may look like garbage by then end of it all. But... garbage is still better than nothing :-).

My GoPro had a hiccup recently and was acting strange. Nothing to do with low light, but was stopping during recording . But I ran the GoPro update and completely fixed it. I'd give that a shot and see if it may fix it.

Check the trees and stuff as you watch the video. Lots of static. This was one of the outside ones. The interior videos were of things like Christmas for me and the family, and didn't feel like uploading that for the public.
My friend tells me that you are supposed to format the card more often. Like every few videos or so. In any case, I'm cleaning it onto my hard drive, formatting it, and doing a firmware update. Once that is done, I"ll try again.

On a side note, I uploaded a high quality 1080p video and it didn't process as that. Apparently I can't do that? I'll have to figure that out as well.

Hey, now it shows up HD!

YouTube always processes SD first.

Can you screenshot what you mean by static? When you are idling I can see disruption in the trees but that is coming from a lack of image stabilization. Where you have the gopro mounted is not a sturdy surface and you can see the same disturbance in other objects like your windshield, the boat, and the water it is just not as noticeable as the trees because they are further away which makes the disturbance more obvious.

Okay, I just watched it again on my laptop. I couldn't tell anything from my phone. I definitely see what you're talking about now. Do you have the recording setting set on 1080p? Looks like you have wide screen, but the quality looks to be at a lower setting.

That was 1080p 60 fps wide.
Going to be uploading another one that is INSIDE 1080 30 fps medium.
Really shows the graininess.

GoPros need a lot of light if you are indoors or take the footage outside to get good footage. There is nothing wrong with your GoPro. They just do not have higher quality lenses found on other cameras that let a lot of light in. Also, the static is just the compression to fit a large amount of video on a small microSD card.

Also, the static is just the compression to fit a large amount of video on a small microSD card.

I may have to disagree with that just a bit. If recorded at 1080 60fps, and uploaded at full resolution, the quality should remain. And these files are not small by any means. If I shoot 20 minutes of 1080/60fps, it's a massive file. And the card in my GoPro is only 64GB. Of course, "massive" is a relative term as it is still not as large as the 4K video I have shot with my GoPro.

I do think he has some haziness from his GoPro almost like there was moisture in the lens, or the lens is scratched. I got similar video quality, in my iPhone 5S when dust got in the lens. I actually had to take apart my iphone to clean it out so that it could focus again. It would come up with clarity like he is seeing.

Here is some footage I shot indoors of my daughters volleyball game. Keep in mind, this fieldhouse was not well lit. But the quality is good as far as I am concerned. As you noted above, I uploaded over 5GB of video and as it processed, the resolution on youtube went up. A file that large took quite a few hours to process once uploaded.

Other than a little bit of haziness around the lights, it's pretty clear. Those that said that GoPros like light, they are right. They are not the best indoor cameras. but his videos seem to be beyond low light. It's just a guess on my part though.

Back