• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Akaso Brave 4 4K 20MP camera, GoPro alternative

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hey all, this will be where I post my initial review and then a more in depth review of the Akaso Brave 4 action camera once I've had time to fully test it.

I've been wanting to get a GoPro to put on my full face scuba mask for a while now, and I have a trip coming up to explore some water than nobody has dived yet, so I wanted to make sure I got some good footage. I've had a GoPro in the past and they are good cameras. There are some less expensive alternatives out there and I decided this time to give the Akaso Brave a shot. The Brave 4 is an older camera of theirs, they have newer models now but at $80 on Amazon it's worth checking out. It has a 20MP Sony sensor and can shoot 4K@24fps, 2K@30fps, and 1080P@60fps.

Initial impressions:
It came packaged very nicely. It was secured in a plastic display case on top of another box with all the accessories in it, including:
  • 2 rechargeable batteries with USB charger
  • remote control wristband (not for underwater, bummer)
  • waterproof action case (rated to 100 ft)
  • lots of different mounts (a couple base pads, different angle connections, handlebar mount, tripod mount, etc)
The only other thing you need to buy to get this camera up and running is a micro SD card. I bought the Sandisk Ultra 64GB Class 10 card for $17. They recommend using a class 10 card, and 64GB is the largest card the camera will take.

What I like:
The camera has a really easy to use menu with a lot of options for changing settings such as Wide Dynamic Range, the angle of the lens (170, 140, 110, & 70 degrees), image stabilization, etc.

Turning the camera off and on is very quick and the buttons are all very responsive to inputs. It's one button to start/stop recording, and you can do it from the camera body or the wrist strap (which also allows you to take single photos as well).

I turned the camera on this morning and had it on the dash on the way to take the kids to school. You can watch the video clips from the camera display itself, or download them to your computer. I did this when I got home and the video was very clear. I recorded in 1080p, I haven't tried the 4K video yet.

What I don't like:
While the camera itself feels sturdy enough, I'm worried about the longevity of the battery cover. There's a tiny little slot that is used to open it (I use the edge of a credit card) and once the cover is off it's completely unattached, so you have to be careful not to lose it. I just don't know how long the little slot latch piece will hold up. You can charge the battery while it's in the camera so you don't always have to remove it, but it's something to keep an eye on.

The microSD slot is another area I don't love; it's the nature of the beast I guess with these things being so small, but I can't push the microSD card in far enough to get it to lock in with just my fingers. I have to use the edge of a credit card or paper clip as the microSD card has to be inserted until it clicks in, and then it's flush with the camera housing. Removing it is the same process.

I don't like that they want you to download an app to your phone to download the files; I don't download Chinese made software to my phone or PC, and you shouldn't either. You can still get the files off easily enough. For some reason when I connect a USB cable directly to the camera I can get the pictures, but not the videos. For video transfer I just remove the microSD card from the camera and use a card reader through USB to my PC and all the videos are in one folder and the photos in another, so it's easy just to move those directly to your PC.

Summary:
This seems like a solid little camera for the money. They have other models (more and less expensive) with some other features like touchscreen, 4k@30fps, and voice control, but this one should fit my needs. I plan on mostly using it for diving so once I am able to spend a bit more time with it in the field I'll update my review.

To give you an idea of the size, I took a photo of the camera next to a credit card. The picture still throws the perspective off a bit, but it's very compact.

20210426_102943.jpg

20210426_102935.jpg

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've traveled all over the world with my akaso 4k. Only thing that killed it was I ran it over with my jeep, and it actually still worked but the image wasn't that great anymore. LOL! The case actually survived and just popped the back lid off. And the $43 I paid I didn't cry one bit. Bought another one. I'll strap that thing to anything, toss it in the water, and have snorkeled all over the place with it. It's great!! I'll buy 30 of these things before I buy a gopro. I call it my faux pro.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've traveled all over the world with my akaso 4k. Only thing that killed it was I ran it over with my jeep, and it actually still worked but the image wasn't that great anymore. LOL! The case actually survived and just popped the back lid off. And the $43 I paid I didn't cry one bit. Bought another one. I'll strap that thing to anything, toss it in the water, and have snorkeled all over the place with it. It's great!! I'll buy 30 of these things before I buy a gopro. I call it my faux pro.
Good to know....I'll buy one of these before I buy another GoPro.....as #goprosucks I have a Karma Drone paper weight because gopro pushed an update to it that killed it, then they shut down the Karma group and wont fix it. Did I mention I hate GoPro? LOL

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good to know....I'll buy one of these before I buy another GoPro.....as #goprosucks I have a Karma Drone paper weight because gopro pushed an update to it that killed it, then they shut down the Karma group and wont fix it. Did I mention I hate GoPro? LOL
They send you batteries like they're candy too. They sent me an email and said if I left a review they'd send me either more batteries or an accessory pack. I left a review after taking it to the Great Barrier Reef and they sent me both things. HA!

Strapped that thing to me all the time on the ski.

Suction cupped that thing to whatever. No worries at less than $50. That was his first time out on a ski with just his mom. I've taken him out on a buddy of mine's big 4 stroke when he was 2 or so. He still asks to take the skis out. We always take the boat cause it's just so easy. The yamaha will run as long as it has gas. My ski is quite modded and takes tons of fiddling/constant work.

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
They send you batteries like they're candy too. They sent me an email and said if I left a review they'd send me either more batteries or an accessory pack. I left a review after taking it to the Great Barrier Reef and they sent me both things. HA!
Yeah there was a card in the box with a web address, if you leave an Amazon review they'll send you a free gift. It was either 2 free batteries, a 64GB SD card, a carrying case, or an accessories kit. Nice bonus. Glad to hear you've been happy with the camera.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
how's the stabilization?

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
how's the stabilization?
Hopefully someone with more experience than me can chime in as I haven't had a good chance to tell if that feature works well or not. GoPro has pretty good stabilization from what I can tell. The Akaso has two stabilization features though, so theoretically it should be good too.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's no 3 axis gimble, but it does pretty good.

It's pretty dang good zipping around on my ski.

youtube kind of jacks up the video quality, but oh well.