• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GP1800?

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice list
Believe it or not there wont be much gains untill you tune or flash the ecm and an impeller
The BOV will save your supercharger clutch life expectancy for sure.
All new watercraft are limited to 68/69 mph by coast guard rules. So without a socom or reflash you cant expect much. It already has crazy acceleration.
The speedo is wheel driven and is way off

I bought the ecu and tune from Deans. Worth every penny to have the stock ecu to go back to in case of a major failure and bring back to dealer.
From reading a lot on Greenhulk, it seems like most people get Maptuner X then are able to at least remove the speed limiter and/or run more aggressive tunes.With the limiter removed and still just running 8000rpms allows the ski to go around 74mph with no other mods. Another popular mod seems to be the intake grate reinforcement plates, as some people have had hull cracking when running with modded power. I'm keeping my ski stock for now.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From reading a lot on Greenhulk, it seems like most people get Maptuner X then are able to at least remove the speed limiter and/or run more aggressive tunes.With the limiter removed and still just running 8000rpms allows the ski to go around 74mph with no other mods. Another popular mod seems to be the intake grate reinforcement plates, as some people have had hull cracking when running with modded power. I'm keeping my ski stock for now.
You guys are nuts! (I mean it lovingly, of course) (I'm also rather envious!)
Is pump tunnel enforcement still considered mandatory, or only for 80+mph machines?

I use Maptuner X with the boat, of course with the N/A engines the tunes are primarily useful to just give me some nicer/smoother throttle response. But the tuner has worked great, it is touch screen, I can reflash both ECUs on the water in about 4min or so, it has never frozen or acted up (knock on wood), it's beyond compare with the old Maptuners. Very handy, for example if I need to fuel up in a place like my marina that only sells cheap low octane gas.

--

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know I'll be tuning it, but I'm holding off for right now. I CAN NOT do the canned tune deal so if I buy Maptuner X, I'll also have to buy the editing license which adds cost. I know the mods I'm doing so far won't do much of anything for speed, I'm mostly doing the intake and exhaust just to clean up the designs and get some better sound out of it.

Yeah, we already noticed the horrible speedo and laughed at the little paddle wheel sensor. I was holding a steady speed in rough water and the speed read anywhere from 40 down to 15! What a joke. So I had already ordered the Candoo GPS before the Riva stuff.

I'm going to make a couple aluminum plates and fiberglass in reinforcements for the cracking hull areas when I have the ride plate and intake grate off. I might even throw the ride plate on my mill and shave it a little down the center. I mostly just want the ski to be bulletproof so we can thrash on it all day without worry. I'm not so intent on making it a 90 mph or even 80 mph ski. (Famous last words. lol.) I know from being in the automobile tuning world that putting any canned tune in a boosted application increases your chance of engine failure drastically. Especially when hardly any of these modified ski's are being logged.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a good plan. Bullet proofing things sounds like a good way to go. I wish their was a more plug and play solution to reinforcing the intake grate backing, I'm definitely no fiberglass expert...

Regarding the blow off valve, do you think this would improve the reliability of the clutch? I know very well how a turbocharged forced air system works and the benefit of a blow of valve on it, but admittedly I don't know a whole lot about how the clutch works on a super charger. Is it a centrifugal clutch which only engages at speed? Would the blow of valve allow the clutch to remain engaged?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a good plan. Bullet proofing things sounds like a good way to go. I wish their was a more plug and play solution to reinforcing the intake grate backing, I'm definitely no fiberglass expert...

Regarding the blow off valve, do you think this would improve the reliability of the clutch? I know very well how a turbocharged forced air system works and the benefit of a blow of valve on it, but admittedly I don't know a whole lot about how the clutch works on a super charger. Is it a centrifugal clutch which only engages at speed? Would the blow of valve allow the clutch to remain engaged?
Yes a BOV will help protect the clutch.
Its a one way sprag type clutch. Ment to release one way and engage the other

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, I should probably put that on my mod list then.... I have an HKS SSQV BOV already from one of my cars, just need the pipe and mounting flange, etc., and the nerve to tap the plastic manifold.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its worth it for what it does.
Any time you launch it and the pump comes unhooked it would take some life out of the sprag

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its worth it for what it does.
Any time you launch it and the pump comes unhooked it would take some life out of the sprag
How would it in that case? The BOV opens when there's a pressure difference on either side of the throttle plate. In this scenario wouldn't the pressures still be the same and the BOV would remain closed?

Wouldn't it only open when the throttle is being closed?

I've seen arguments saying that when the throttle plate is closing, the pressure build up in front of the throttle actually helps decelerate the supercharger. (i.e. the back pressure is beneficial, vs blowing off the pressure)

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes mine opens and blows off when you let off throttle.
It must keep the sprag from freewheeling too long before you are back on the throttle.

The crank turns it so with the build up of pressure with the throttle closed makes the sprag release and spin allowing the pressure to release. Then you are back on the throttle and bang it locks of after freewheelin. It beats it up and eventually the sprag will freewheel both ways.

The BOV from what i understand releases the pressure for the sprag so it doesnt have to slam into engagement.
I have been told when there isnt a load on the engine and it comes unhooked in the air then it comes hooked again it can beat it up the same way. Not sure how.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know I'll be tuning it, but I'm holding off for right now. I CAN NOT do the canned tune deal so if I buy Maptuner X, I'll also have to buy the editing license which adds cost.
I know from being in the automobile tuning world that putting any canned tune in a boosted application increases your chance of engine failure drastically. Especially when hardly any of these modified ski's are being logged.
I used to follow everything tuning/reflash related on greenhulk very closely for years. I don't know of "canned tunes" sold for recreational users resulting in blown engines... I could be wrong or missed something etc.
What would make your reflashes done with Maptuner software better/safer then their own? it's a mystery to me!
Dean's or RIVA's are professionals who do it for a living...

--

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used to follow everything tuning/reflash related on greenhulk very closely for years. I don't know of "canned tunes" sold for recreational users resulting in blown engines... I could be wrong or missed something etc.
What would make your reflashes done with Maptuner software better/safer then their own? it's a mystery to me!
Dean's or RIVA's are professionals who do it for a living...

--
Awww come on. Now you're just trolling and I'm not gonna bite. If you haven't learned a thing or two about me by now, then I guess I'll just be a mystery to you!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awww come on. Now you're just trolling and I'm not gonna bite. If you haven't learned a thing or two about me by now, then I guess I'll just be a mystery to you!
I don't troll.
But, I would seriously like to know what do you have against "canned tunes" from Dean's, RIVA, or R&D?
You are consistently dissing those.

I know you can tune the GM engines. I'd think it takes many vehicles and many logging hours to perfect those things and Yamaha ski/boat engines, which no reputable car tuner would touch, is what Dean's, RIVA, R&D tune - for a living.

--

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice ski! Have you seen the videos of the heavily modded skis running 85-90mph?

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd think it takes many vehicles and many logging hours to perfect those things and Yamaha ski/boat engines, which no reputable car tuner would touch, is what Dean's, RIVA, R&D tune - for a living.
I hear you, @swatski. And you are right that it must take many hours, and being prepared (and budgeted) for things to go boom.

I admit that I've never written a tune, but I am a tech guy that grew up writing code, and have rebuilt many motors. On the RPM curve, various inputs influence fuel/air mixture and timing and it's a matter of getting that right. But it's not a crapshoot, the inputs are also on a curve as well. It ain't brain surgery, but certainly time consuming (which is why I have not delved into it).

-Greg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear you, @swatski. And you are right that it must take many hours, and being prepared (and budgeted) for things to go boom.

I admit that I've never written a tune, but I am a tech guy that grew up writing code, and have rebuilt many motors. On the RPM curve, various inputs influence fuel/air mixture and timing and it's a matter of getting that right. But it's not a crapshoot, the inputs are also on a curve as well. It ain't brain surgery, but certainly time consuming (which is why I have not delved into it).

-Greg
Sure, but the thing is - the guys like Dean's or RIVA tune hundreds of 1.8 engines a season. They know the limits of these engines extremely well... And they understand the difference between a racer and a recreational guy.

These guys are not a fly-by-night businesses trying to make a quick buck. It is very clear from my interactions with those teams that the absolutely last thing they want, or need, is some idiot recreational boater like me blowing up an engine running their tune.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, we already noticed the horrible speedo and laughed at the little paddle wheel sensor. I was holding a steady speed in rough water and the speed read anywhere from 40 down to 15! What a joke. So I had already ordered the Candor GPS.
Really? Biggest waste of money mod ever. The joke is you bought this not that the original crap speedo sucks. In the rough do you really need to know your speed to the exact mph? Coming from someone who has rode plenty of miles in the rough this is the last thing I would ever spend my money on as when it gets rough knowing my safe speed is not about what the speedo tells me but about feel. There is no speed limit on the water where a Candoo GPS speedo will give you an accurate reading that will matter take that money and put it somewhere else.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hahaha. You guys are funny!

robert843, are you reading this on your Tandy 1000 with that sweet 28.8k modem? Seriously, the paddle wheel speedo is a joke. I was going ~50mph and it was bouncing between 10 and 20mph. In today's digital world, it's a joke of a piece of equipment on a ski that costs $14k. And the candoo gps module costs something like $150, which to me at least is chump change when you're talking about toys that cost tens of thousands of dollars. It takes about 5 minutes to install, and makes the speedo work like a speedo should. I'd say it was well worth the money I spent and really Yamaha should have spent the money so I wouldn't have had to.

Last edited:

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
FYI, I now have some personal experience with tuning these Yamaha's, using the hardware, and what the aftermarket tunes/tuners look like.

What I've "claimed", "assumed", "expected" and "stated" about tuning, the available tuning hardware and what is available as far as "canned" tunes turned out to be 100% dead on.

Guys, this ain't my first rodeo. lol. There were absolutely no surprises in what I've found with tuning these Yamahas. VERY few actual editable tables, VERY primitive hardware and software, and the changes made by the "professional" tuners in the tunes you would buy is VERY basic. Exactly what I expected and tried to explain on here before. Somebody mentioned that these well known tuners know the difference between a racer and a recreational guy. Do you realize that the difference in their "race" tune and their "safe" tune is literally a couple minor changes in the values in a couple tables? And in a table that has a couple hundred cells from full engine vacuum to full boost, they're only changing the values in about 25% of the entire table. The rest is bone stock.

Again, this isn't anything surprising. 90% of "professional" tuners even in the automotive world have absolutely NO training or experience in actual engine management. So what those tuners do is WOT dyno tuning. And even that is usually only between 5000 and whatever their cutoff rpm is set to. All they can easily do without fully understanding basic things like stoichiometric fueling is to move mixture and ignition timing around until they see higher power readings on the dyno. The missing parts are huge. There's tons of "driveability", fuel mileage, engine response and ability to gain rpm's and basic engine efficiency that can be gained if you understand how it all works.

Understanding exhaust gas byproducts is another gigantic missing piece of the knowledge of most of the tuners out there. When you understand emissions, you can look at a fueling or ignition timing table and understand WHY they set it up the way they did. If you don't have that knowledge or experience, you have little to no clue what the factory was thinking when they built the table values. I'm not talking about wideband readings either, but even that's another point. The watercraft guys are using widebands that we (me, and two other guys who happen to test o2 sensors for the OEM's for a living) in the automotive tuning world realized were way too slow to accurately "auto tune" which is again what most tuners do because they don't know how to read and interpret logs down to the 100ms level. In simple terms, they use analog hardware to determine how to set up the fueling in their tunes. I've used digital hardware for half a decade exclusively for logging and tuning.

Wojtek, I know you're probably reading this and can't wait to copy and paste it in an email to your buddy Jesus. Please don't bother. I don't wish to turn this into a battle or compromise the business of any of these watercraft aftermarket accessory companies. I'm only posting this because a few of you guys wondered about tuning on the boats or watercraft. I made comments and claims on the subject on here occasionally. I still stand behind what I've said, I don't believe anything I've stated is inaccurate. Honestly, the other reason I posted this is because there is almost NO information on boat or watercraft tuning. It's kind of funny but it's like a big secret, mostly because there's simply so few people out there doing it. Case in point, Swatski, do you know exactly what they changed in your tune? You wouldn't unless you paid for an edit license. I can tell you what was changed isn't much, in only a couple tables, and would take a couple minutes to "build". Building a tune in an automotive ECM is a matter of editing hundreds of tables and sometimes takes hours to build just a first version of. I know you're happy with how your boat runs though, and that's all that matters so don't worry about it and know it's most likely plenty "safe" because they don't change much.

Like I said, just a "BTW" or "FYI", nothing more. I'm really not trying to start anything, just thought some of you would like to know what I found. And as far as my GP1800 is concerned, THE THING IS A F*CKING BLAST!!! Just under 80mph on the stock impeller and stock blower wheel. We ran 35 gallons of fuel through it in one day! Spent all day jumping the boat wake and doing laps on a water ski slalom course.

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@gmtech16450yz
I am curious what are your mods to get just shy of 80mph on the stock impeller and s/c wheel?