• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GPS for Ski Mode / Cruise Control

rick.scarab215

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I have a 2020 Scarab 215 and last year the throttle module was replaced because it kept erroring out. After the dealer fixed the issue, the GPS that enables Ski mode and cruise control no longer work. I suspect that it is a minor item that was disconnected during the throttle repair, but my dealer seems to be baffled by the issue. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Also, are there any recommendation on Scarab dealers in Michigan that have an understanding of electronics on these boats? It seems like my boat is the first Scarab that Skipper Buds in Fenton has ever worked on.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I don't have those options.... so it's entirely possible I'm incorrect. The GPS antenna is located inside your dash. It's how your speedometer works. I presume your speedometer still works? If so... then that data would need to be available to the module that enables those extra modes. To my knowledge, it's a physical device that is plugged in one of the electrical harnesses. I'm pretty sure it plugs somewhere in one of the plugs at the stern, not by the throttle lever. But again, I don't have this option.

I would look for that device and reseat it. Unplug, replug it.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Those option are in the cluster, unless they changed the cluster they should still be there, maybe not married to the boat or not making good connection.

rick.scarab215

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
The dealer said they fixed it this spring by resetting the battery, but now the gps light in the dash does not even light up. I looked under the dash and there is a relay that is not connected. I am wondering if that is what is supposed to be for the GPS, but I can’t find where it is supposed to go. The speedometer and everything else works fine, even the docking mode and eco mode that control the throttle. The only things that do not work are ski mode and cruise control which run off of GPS.

Bearddog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Do you have a picture?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I still can't personally answer your question (hopefully others will). But that isn't a relay. A relay is an entirely different device that we DO have on our boats. Using that word is highly confusing since I thought you're trying to tell us there's a relay in that area.

A relay is a device that let's current flow through at a different rate than the circuit that triggers it. For example, let an engine start using higher amperage by using a 12V circuit to allow that. They usually look like black cubes of some sort.

A better word for what you're describing is an "electrical connector".

I still don't see why Scarab would add a second GPS.... it's already in the dash. What you do need is a special module device that connects to your electrical system to enable these features. But I don't know where that goes since I don't have one. This is the part where hopefully someone else chimes in.

I don't want this to sound condescending. I hope you realize that. But relays come up a lot on this forum.

mat_l_1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Those option are in the cluster, unless they changed the cluster they should still be there, maybe not married to the boat or not making good connection.
So the clusters on boats without GPS/Ski Mode (165 ghost for example) have a different cluster?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
So the clusters on boats without GPS/Ski Mode (165 ghost for example) have a different cluster?
No. Just that those options appear as available in it if you have those enabled.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yes, they do. Both clusters have different part numbers. One is 024-0820 CLUSTER, GAUGE BRP 16 CRUISE #460957 and the other is 024-0821 CLUSTER, GAUGE BRP 16 FULL #460896

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yes, they do. Both clusters have different part numbers. One is 024-0820 CLUSTER, GAUGE BRP 16 CRUISE #460957 and the other is 024-0821 CLUSTER, GAUGE BRP 16 FULL #460896
So the clusters themselves are different? In other words, if I wanted to add those modes to my boat, I'd have to not only get the so called "module", but I'd also need to replace my cluster and remarry it to the engine?

mat_l_1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Interesting - So perhaps Scarab may have gone the the cluster route to have the module know what IS ENABLED and then you remarry it to the engine? instead of the plug in module route the seadoo PWC's went. Kind of wish we could peek at 2 side by side with the tech kit.

Now I'm really curious and have 2 paths..

Find a used "024-0821 CLUSTER, GAUGE BRP 16 FULL #460896" to see what is possible.
or
Try the plug in version that SeaDoo has and see if the option becomes 'enabled'.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So the clusters themselves are different? In other words, if I wanted to add those modes to my boat, I'd have to not only get the so called "module", but I'd also need to replace my cluster and remarry it to the engine?
No, Scarab does not have a module. It is all in the gage cluster. I have a 2015 Scarab HO 165 and it did not have all the modes until I had the Cluster replaced under warranty, then I had it all. That is why I know that it is all in the cluster. You have an ECU for engine and the cluster for the boat. That is all the computers on a Scarab 165.

mat_l_1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
No, Scarab does not have a module. It is all in the gage cluster. I have a 2015 Scarab HO 165 and it did not have all the modes until I had the Cluster replaced under warranty, then I had it all. That is why I know that it is all in the cluster. You have an ECU for engine and the cluster for the boat. That is all the computers on a Scarab 165.
Did you ever find out if they use software to enable (or disable boo) modes - or was the cluster replacement just a swap & map to engine (remarry to engine)

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Did you ever find out if they use software to enable (or disable boo) modes - or was the cluster replacement just a swap & map to engine (remarry to engine)
As far as I know it was just replaced and remarried to engine. At least that was what I was told when I asked. I also was told that Scarab sent that cluster for replacement.

mat_l_1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
OK I've got some queries out for that gauge pack. It's probably a $2500 part.

rocky5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Ever check the price on
"024-0821 CLUSTER, GAUGE BRP 16 FULL #460896" ?

mat_l_1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Ever check the price on
"024-0821 CLUSTER, GAUGE BRP 16 FULL #460896" ?
tried 1 parts dept last year and got: part DSP-024-0821 approx $2425