• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has any one moved the post on the Shorland'r trailer?

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
BoatUS recommends a tongue weight of 7-10 % of the towed weight. They also have a way to measure your tongue weight at home, using a bathroom scale and some lumber.
http://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2013/June/tongue-weight-diy.asp

Why worry about tongue weight? With some vehicle suspensions there is a tendency for the trailer to fishtail. Having more tongue weight can remedy that, if the tongue weight was too light to begin with. Unfortunately, some people have exceeded the safe towing speed with a light tongue weight and fishtailed out of control before they could slow down enough to get the rig under control, and you can find them on youtube.

How do you determine if your rig has a tendency to fishtail? I guess their isn't a completely safe way to find out. When you find yourself on an empty stretch of highway you slow down to a safe speed, like 40mph, and intentionally swerve to find out is there is any continued oscillation of the trailer. If not, increase the speed 5mph and try again. Repeat until you find some fishtailing, keeping below the maximum speed that you might intend to ever travel.
On a road trip recently I was coasting down an Appalachian pass and found myself going 80mph, which I would never do on a flat highway. Fortunately my rig doesn't seem to have a tendency to fishtail. Things like tire pressures and boat loading and maybe even wind can affect that though, so you shouldn't get overconfident.

I've read that leaving the boat on a trailer with the transom extended past the end of the bunkboards can cause a warpage or hook in the hull bottom if the hull isn't designed for that.

Last edited:

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like most reporting here have 24' models, so I thought I would report my initial test for a 21' model. I moved mine back 3-4" and didn't notice much difference in trailering home from the lake. I plan on moving it a couple more inches back this upcoming weekend and see if the change is more noticeable. I don't have a way to determine the weight difference on the ball, so nothing scientific to show.
Following your progress...I have the same boat and would like to do this mod. How far is your post now from the hitch? And how much does your boat overhang in the back?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Before:
20170708_081134.jpg

20170708_081351.jpg

After, 4" back and 12" off the back of the bunks:
20170710_182305.jpg

20170710_182222.jpg

Not sure I'm going to move it any further back since I don't want to get that much more off the bunks in the back.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
not to assume, but I would guess the MFI trailer is the same? mine seem heavy at the tounge as well. Glad I haven't got that weld mod done since it's seems kind of wiggly. but I have a new bilge pump and water witch switch to install first.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you have a 24 ft boat this mod is a must. Kicking myself for waiting so long to do it. I tow with a diesel F250 so there were no struggles evident. After moving the post back 8 inches drivability is a dream both at low and highway speeds. Just do it!!

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Has anyone had to do this on 19ft boats? When I towed with my sante Fe you could def feel the boat. Now that I use my Dodge truck it's like nothing back there.

Bubblehead

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I read almost every post and did not see anyone discuss the proper way to adjust tongue weight (correct me if I'm wrong). First I agree that the bow stop should be moved back to allow a little over hang at transom. For me, it was so I didn't damage transducer when loading. However, to adjust tongue weight properly, you are suppose to move axle assembly. Move forward to lower tongue weight and vice versa. Manual says 1"approx 10-15 lbs. I would worry about bunk support if boat hangs off too much.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I forget the name right now but someone actually did move the axles. Good success and not much work. The rest of just played with the bow post

Chief

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
My tounge weight was to heavy, i moved my post back 4 inches. The tounge wieght is better now and my truck has less squat... the transom is right to the edge of the trailer bunks.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great posts everyone and very helpful. I decided to move my post back 3 inches on my 2016 242 trailer and I’ll let you what changes i see. I have a 2018 expedition and i didn’t like the sagging. Even though it still towed well (but don’t have anything to compare it to however) i think your input allowed me to take incremental steps. Seems like a very easy mod. - two turns on the bolts with a wrench, sliding it and retightening. This forum is great. Thank you all!

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok - 3 1/2" move of the post back was very helpful. Not a life changer (maybe further back would be even better, but without a scale, I'm going on other people's posts regarding their +15 AR240/242LS trailers.) Nonetheless, the squat on my 18 Expedition is noticeably less, and towing the boat 7 miles in each direction (under 50mph as i had my bimini up) - showed an even smoother ride.
Thanks everyone for their input!!!
Demo