• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have a warning buzzer and the reduced power

Randall905

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I have a 2003 sugar sand tango 240 trying to restore. While cruising had a loud buzzer go off and then a reduction of power. Anyone have any ideas

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
How is your oil level? Are all the caps, hoses, tanks tight and not leaking? Did it get hot? Did it act any differently after it rested an hour or so? Does the water flow indicator show water flow? Lots of things it could be, any and all details help start the process.

Randall905

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Thanks I will do some research and let you know

Randall905

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I inspected the oil and all caps and seems they are fine. I also removed the fuel and filters and installed new plugs. boat runs but only at idle and the exhaust has oil mixed. I tried to see what code the ECM had stored but could not locate the DTC connector. Has anyone have a picture I can't find it in the manual. Help

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Don't know of a DTC but Mercury used a DDT monitor tool I suspect used the smartcraft connection to read from, that's located lower front of engine and is capped off if you don't have a smartcraft system installed. Several things put you in limp mode, hope it isn't the TPS cause they ain't cheap but then nothing is for a Sportjet. Screenshot 2021-08-05 113624.png

Randall905

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Do you have any idea where I can get the DDT monitor tool?

Thank you

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Do you have any idea where I can get the DDT monitor tool?

Way to pricey for most, more of a pro's tool. Way back when my SIL and I kicked around the idea of getting one but with all the needed cables and software it wasn't worth it for DIY, well north of 1000.00 as I remember. Think they are no longer available, unless on ebay or such, having been replaced by more sophisticated, read expensive, systems more aimed at the pros. Best bet is just trouble shoot with the manual or the real unicorn finding a good mechanic willing to work on a sportjet.

Randall905

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Well, I am a mechanic with extensive chevy and dodge experience I know that's not a boat but it's the same principle but need to know the code to locate this issue or at least have a complete service manual. Thanks for your help

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Well, I am a mechanic with extensive chevy and dodge experience I know that's not a boat but it's the same principle but need to know the code to locate this issue or at least have a complete service manual. Thanks for your help
If you happen to be on facebook there is a Sugar Sand group where you can find the Merc shop manual on file. The screen grab I posted came from it though I have a print copy. Be aware there are 2 versions of the 240, being an 03 you should have the later version. You get it running right and you have a 60 MPH boat on your hands, my son has a 07 with the 240 has hit 62 GPS

Last edited:

Randall905

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I finally got the boat looking tremendous & running well, so I thought. I started it put it in the water buzzer came on engine bogged down and would not restart in the water. Pulled it out of the water and it started back up. Any help would be appreciated.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
The buzzer denotes either an overheat situation or low oil. Does it crank and turn over or does it not even crank? That would tell us a lot. The more information you can give us about the conditions the more we can all help you.

Randall905

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Well, it will crank with no start. No time to run hot temperature gauge was at 120 lots of oil smoke.

Speedydavey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
This sounds like exactly what I am dealing with on my 2003 Sugarsand Tango SuperSport with a 240hp EFI MercurySport. It will start right up when the engine is cool but once it is warmed up and you shut it down it will not start again until it cools down. The last time I had it out we were just cruising at lower speeds on the lake and the alarm came on and it started to run rough. It’s been down on power and puffs a lot of smoke. I took mine into a Mercury mechanic and they pulled the head on it and said that my number five piston was scored which made it run hot which will make it overheat eventually once it warms up and will set off the overheat alarm.