• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Having engine problems.need help

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Useful information. Disregard last ideas. You need to find yamaha code reader. Not sure if codes can be pulled by pressing gauge buttons??
The damn guages don't stay on long enough to get to the engine diagnostics.they shut off after like 30 secs.

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did remove all spark plugs and engine will not turn over.is it a possibility a pump blockage would cause a check engine on the guage?I will update info on current local
On trailer out of water

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am guessing, but a blockage could stall the motor. drop the rpms enough to cause check engine light. then starter not strong enough to respin the motor.
@buckbuck
What did your boat do when you sucked up a tire tube?

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like I better get my butt to the marina and pull the pump out the back.i will do tommorow and post my findings and possibly pics.thank you very much for your time.i most appreciate it

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The damn guages don't stay on long enough to get to the engine diagnostics.they shut off after like 30 secs.
Book says I can get to engine diagnostics but it seams engine needs to be running to stay on.

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am guessing, but a blockage could stall the motor. drop the rpms enough to cause check engine light. then starter not strong enough to respin the motor.
@buckbuck
What did your boat do when you sucked up a tire tube?
Don't understand the tire tube?

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He had posted a picture of when his impeller sucked up a truck tube. (we boat in 4' of water) Closest thing I could think of for comparison to your engine dying and not restarting. A long shot maybe Jims boat threw a check engine when it sucked up a tube.
Hope that explains it.

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ahh I see.thanks for the clarification.truck tube? Frickin people.i also boat in 4 ft water at Indian lake ohio.thats why I got rid of my immaculate glastron with stern drive.kept hitting the prop.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
.I found the 4th cylinder had a stripped spark plug threads and the coil pack was missing half the boot and the bottom of the coil pack burned away.
Did you know you were buying this problem?

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We looked at the boat and struck the deal.the marina needed a week to get it ready for us on a Friday pick up.the Thurs before I called them to make sure everything was a go and they said they took it out and it was missing.they called their local jet boat dealer in Indianapolis and was advised to change the plugs.they did and ran on hose.seemed to have fixed the problem they said.i questioned them about it like what if I was to have a problem? They said they were confident they had it fixed and if it wasn't they would make it right.i said ok against my gut.they are still saying they are not gonna leave me hanging but are now having just a bit of reassurance.either of us didn't think it was going to be like this.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would be trying to back out. I think they sold you a problem. Have you checked them through the Better Business Bureau? To do that, check the companies through the zip codes where they are located. I think it would have required removing the cylinder head to really diagnose the problem. That requires removing the engine from the boat.

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would be trying to back out. I think they sold you a problem. Have you checked them through the Better Business Bureau? To do that, check the companies through the zip codes where they are located. I think it would have required removing the cylinder head to really diagnose the problem. That requires removing the engine from the boat.i
I would be trying to back out. I think they sold you a problem. Have you checked them through the Better Business Bureau? To do that, check the companies through the zip codes where they are located. I think it would have required removing the cylinder head to really diagnose the problem. That requires removing the engine from the boat.
I have checked out their reputation.its pretty solid.they contacted the previous owner for information.of course the previous owner is floored and had no issues.im deep into it now.i our new Bimini,new carpet, and several other things in this boat.goung to continue to find problem and see how they react to the findings.at this point backing out isn't my first option.got a partial loan on it, got new stickers and such.would like to see it fixed at their expense.bur I'm willing to do some leg work to end this curve ball life threw at me.

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
May end up with trying to get it returned but man that would be a big hastle !

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It should not be you!
I most certainly agree.the spark plug with the stripped threads was most likely due to overtightened plugs by amateur mechanic.aluminum head.another problem that exists with this deal is I traded in a mint glastron and they already sold it.so returning it gets even more complicated.man oh man sometimes you win and sometimes it can really suck!! I'm going to pull the jet drive this afternoon and see if anything in it.then see if engine is freed up.if not freed up I will have to wait till the Yamaha mechanic can look at it.might puke along the way!

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
update your profile to show where you live. Maybe some one nearby can help.
Are you on the water or on trailer?
1. you can remove all 4 spark plugs and try to spin the motor by hand
a. If pump impeller stuck, motor won't turn.
b. if shaft bearing is stuck, motor won't turn
2. check impeller
2a. on water remove cleanout plug and feel with hand
2b. on trailer look under boat into the impeller intake and exit with flashlight. A 1/4" piece of wood can stop an impeller and prevent and engine from spinning.
2c. should see tiny (feeler gauge to 1/8" gap around entire impeller diameter, not touching the wear ring.
if motor spins freely by hand. Move to check
1. solenoid
2. starter
3. voltage with meter at starter (could be internal corroded positive or negative cable
4. ground wire to motor
engine not started could be related to your spark plug problem, or it could be something different problem.
Update on engine.no blockage in jet pump.placed battery charger on battery and got it to fire up .one big problem! Sounds like loose marbles bouncing around inside.i think I'm screwed unless someone has an idea.all plugs look to be burning great and when it's running on the hose if I unplug the coil pack to each plug individually the engine falters.so all are working well just the sound of marbles.and when you rev it a bit it sounds like it may come apart.so no more of a that.i think I'm absolutely screwed!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update on engine.no blockage in jet pump.placed battery charger on battery and got it to fire up .one big problem! Sounds like loose marbles bouncing around inside.i think I'm screwed unless someone has an idea.all plugs look to be burning great and when it's running on the hose if I unplug the coil pack to each plug individually the engine falters.so all are working well just the sound of marbles.and when you rev it a bit it sounds like it may come apart.so no more of a that.i think I'm absolutely screwed!
Can you post a video, so we can hear. Sometimes the pumps are loud. Bearing maybe going out at the impeller or intermediate shaft bearing.

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you post a video, so we can hear. Sometimes the pumps are loud. Bearing maybe going out at the impeller or intermediate shaft bearing.
I don't have any videos.i did run it without the shaft and impeller that I pulled out the rear to check for blockages.in or out it was noisy.sounds like marbles.check engine was displayed on the tach.

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't have any videos.i did run it without the shaft and impeller that I pulled out the rear to check for blockages.in or out it was noisy.sounds like marbles.check engine was displayed on the tach.
I took it back to the dealer.they are going to check it out in a couple weeks when they can get to it said a new Yamaha 1.8 from them installed was like 15-17k!!!! W.t.f?? Have to wait to see what they come up with I guess.