• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Head scratcher...can't figure out. Need some help!!!!

716 John

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great forum with a lot of great knowledge and information. I have searched this forum and could not find any threads on this subject, so I apologize if I missed a thread that addresses this issue.
2005 sx230 HO
Issue I am having- I start engine 1 with no issue and it starts right up, when I go to start engine 2, engine 2 starts right up BUT engine 1 immediately shuts off. I will keep engine 2 running and restart engine 1, and then engine 2 shuts off off immediately. I can't keep both engines running at the same time. Once I start one engine, the other shuts off. This will go on for 5 or 6 starts and then eventually I can get both started and they run great. Zero issues with the engines once they are started. I have no idea what is going on or what I should even check to find the issue. Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated.

How old is your battery? Check connections and make sure they’re clean and tight. Have you recently done any work to the boat?

I believe the battery is 3 years old. I had it winterized and stored for the winter. The winterization included oil/oil filter change, spark plug change, antifreeze flush. I have tested the battery and it is in great working order. I have been out on the boat about 5 times this spring/summer with no issues until the last 2 outings.

I agree with @Babin Farms , check the battery connections, positive and negative. One could have worked it's way loose.

Do you have a volt meter to check the resting voltage of the battery. If so, what is the reading? Resting Voltage is with motors off and a few hours after being on a battery charger or not being on a charger at all.

zipper, I just checked the connections and they are solid. I will test the resting voltage of the battery next. thank you

Well it definitely sounds like the electrical draw off cranking is shutting the other engine off. I would put a battery booster or jumper cables and another battery or to your truck to boat battery to see if it still happens. Just for shi# and giggles I'd replace plugs just in case they are wore out to the point they are borderline effective at 12+ voltage but not any lower.

And is the battery tied down? If a battery is not tied down, the plates internally can crack. That will cause issues when there is vibration (like starting an engine), but will also cause issues when the battery heats up (suddenly it will appear to lose charge). Had that happen to me once (not the starting thing, but the cracked plate thing).

tdonoughue, thanks for the reply. The battery is secure to the boat in a battery tray it does not move. Plugs are new at the beginning of the season (probably 10 hours on them). I'm going to test the resting battery voltage next and then I will try using another battery or jumpers to see if the issue is resolved. Thanks for the help!!

fireflymedic, appreciate the reply. I will try using another battery or jumpers to see if issue gets resolved. thanks

Back