• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Heading down the underwater LED rabbit hole

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After my latest trip I've decided I want some underwater LED's. So, I started searching around and the amount of information is overwhelming. I've seen lots of questions with few of them answered.

So here's what I know as of today:
1. Drain plug light seems out of the question for my model due to the articulating keel
2. I want RGBW, and remote controlled rather than switches.
3. They seem to be all over the place as far as price and seems like lumitec is the brand of choice(?) Are there other options that are also good. I'm not looking to have thousands wrapped up into this
4. I have no idea where I should mount them, pics for those with the newer hull/articulating keel
5. Anyone had any issues with the lights and a wake booster? i.e. a lot of water being forced in that direction of the transom where an underwater LED might go
6. They need to be saltwater safe. Meaning usage in the salt won't tarnish them. I'm primarily freshwater, BUT I have family that live at the beach AND one day I'd love to do a bimini trip. I've seen a lot made out of brass, and research says brass and salt don't get along.
7. How many and what lumens is enough?
8. I have no idea what I don't know, that I don't know

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ya know this a bit off but I was going to get some good LED lights for the stern (still might) but during the last over-nighter on our SandBar here I heard some swishing around the boat while at anchor in about 3' of water. It woke me and I tried to get a flash light beam on the sound and just caught the vision of a large mass swimming away. Decided then I didn't want to peer into the water at night, just let it be!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Respectfully, all the remote controllers are crap for those. They corrode almost instantly. If you're talking about saltwater, you want a dedicated switch and a dedicated color.

I use these, blue seems to be the go-to: Amazon.com: Larlansz 2PCS Waterproof Marine Lights, Stainless Steel 27 LEDs Blue Underwater Lighting Boat Transom Lights Navigation Lights Drain Plug Lights Courtesy Lamp Deck Lights : Sports & Outdoors
2 of my requirements are 1.) have to be wirelessly controlled, and 2.) RGBW not a solid color. I've found quite a few people in some Tige groups that use these and love them.

Ya know this a bit off but I was going to get some good LED lights for the stern (still might) but during the last over-nighter on our SandBar here I heard some swishing around the boat while at anchor in about 3' of water. It woke me and I tried to get a flash light beam on the sound and just caught the vision of a large mass swimming away. Decided then I didn't want to peer into the water at night, just let it be!
This is more for poser(ing) around at night on freshwater lakes a few times a summer I actually go out at night. Not much of a chance anything bites us, aside from mosquitoes. LOL!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you ever get any lights?
No sir, sure didn't. Not a whole lot of consensus to go by. So, I tabled it for now. Also with gas prices going to the moon I suspect my boat usage will go down drastically and the opportunity for using them at night likely won't be there for the foreseeable future.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm still lightless in the water too but I do use the on-board lights that I installed a few years ago. Been doing a lot of after-work weekday ventures the last couple of weeks and staying out after sunset. They do come in handy in the dark.

Gas will be at $5.00 per gal here shortly. (Face Palm)

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I had some DIY RGB like the DAGON V2 TRANSOM MOUNT from your link on our '18 242x. I made 4, two in the center and one on each trim tab. They were plenty bright. I was just not happy with the housing. I'm torn between just buying or DIYing again.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
No sir, sure didn't. Not a whole lot of consensus to go by. So, I tabled it for now. Also with gas prices going to the moon I suspect my boat usage will go down drastically and the opportunity for using them at night likely won't be there for the foreseeable future.
You have it backwards...high gas prices means more floating with the lights on.
:)

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You have it backwards...high gas prices means more floating with the lights on.
hahaha! Reckon I need to qualify my usage. With the baby we won't be out late. Which means my opportunity would have been when I took my boat up to my buddies house and we'd surf all day, then float way into the night. Won't be doing that! With gas on the lake last year at over $4 a gallon we were burning through $100 of gas a day. Figure if gas prices are near $5 then on the lake it'll be $7+, not to mention the 2 hour haul to get to his lake house in my truck. That would be like a $1k weekend. Efffffff that. LOL!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Gas will be at $5.00 per gal here shortly. (Face Palm)
Gas is now $1.85 a liter here = $7.40 a gal. Gotta love Commie Canada doubling the price of gas in 3 only years...meanwhile just over the border it's still $3.99.

We thought about underwater lights, but we rarely stay out past dusk. Might put one in for the coolness factor...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
hahaha! Reckon I need to qualify my usage. With the baby we won't be out late.
Oh congrats on the baby...must have missed that post. We have a grand daughter who will be two this May and she'll be getting her first boat experience this summer.
🚤 🚤 🚤
Which means my opportunity would have been when I took my boat up to my buddies house and we'd surf all day, then float way into the night. Won't be doing that! With gas on the lake last year at over $4 a gallon we were burning through $100 of gas a day. Figure if gas prices are near $5 then on the lake it'll be $7+, not to mention the 2 hour haul to get to his lake house in my truck. That would be like a $1k weekend. Efffffff that. LOL!
It's only money...memories are forever...

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Oh congrats on the baby...must have missed that post. We have a grand daughter who will be two this May and she'll be getting her first boat experience this summer.
🚤 🚤 🚤

It's only money...memories are forever...
Thank you sir! I never really posted anything. We had her a baby life vest before she was even born. :) We'll definitely still go out, just not near as much as we used to. This renovation of our house is sucking every spare dollar out of me. An extra $1k here or there could be the difference between $8 a sq ft tile we settle for due to budget and $10 a sq ft tile we love. My contingency budget for this reno has already dwindled from like 16k to 5k. LOL! I have a feeling by the end it'll be all gone and still require money from other savings. UGH! Oh well at least I didn't have to try and buy in this market here and over spend by 100-200k.

Jwhuppenthal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I also am looking into underwater lights. I, myself, am leaning more towards a drain plug light just because I do not want to put holes into the hull. The trick is our main lake we are on is murky/turbid, what's the best color? Green, blue, or white? I know it won't look as sexy as some of y'all saltwater people, but we do enjoy the boat at night often. - Also another reason why I want a drain plug light, if it looks like complete shit, I take it out! HAHA!

Thank you!

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Has anyone used one of these?

They have an RGB model too.
I had two of this style in my old 2017 Ar190 they were ok, not as bright as I hoped. Used in fresh water.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here is a pic on the water with them on the water. My buddy boat the boat and they are still working just not as bright as I wished.
20190613_214552.jpg

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has anyone used one of these?

They have an RGB model too.
I have not yet but the RGB ones lumins outputs will only be 1/3 to 1/2 of the listed output so will not be as bright as ordering a solid color.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not yet but the RGB ones lumins outputs will only be 1/3 to 1/2 of the listed output so will not be as bright as ordering a solid color.
Thanks! I would go with a solid color like blue. I saw the OP wanted RGB. I don't like the idea of cutting holes in parts of my boat that are under water.