• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hello everyone... just purchsed a 2010 Yamaha SX240

txav8r2002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello, I'm Chris. I live in the DFW area and just bought a 2010 Yamaha SX240. My family and I will be taking our boat to Texas/Oklahoma lakes, as well as a yearly trip from Miami to Bimini. Can anyone suggest a good, user friendly chartplotter for around $1000 or less that has at least a 9" screen...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
welcome

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome and congratulations on the purchase!!

Here is what I installed for a chart plotter and it did great for the trip to Bimini.
Do you use that model with a Panoptix system in the winter ice fishing? I was shopping livescope and saw this post. Sorry, I won't derail the conversation.

To the OP, if looking for more of the mapping/GPS over depth and depth charts, shop something with excellent regional maps. Or something that you can upload your own maps/routes too.

Many have different versions for different needs. For example. Navco makes Lowrance and Simrad. The lowrance models are very popular for us in the upper Midwest, as the depth maps are supurb for sub 50ft depths. the sonar is versitile for our type of fishing, and the options like boat control with a trolling motor are excellent. Where as the big brother, Simrad has similar features, but are geared towards offshore routes, auto pilot of large boats, running radar for weather and navigation, and easily upgradable through the internet. Two options from the same parent company.

For us that fish, Hummingbird, Garmin and Lowrance are the big dogs. But for nav, those same units will work, but the menus and layout will revolve around their primary purpose. The simrad I have in my boat works for fishing with great sonar and side scanning, but the mapping and routing is where it shines.

Good luck

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I want to go to West Marine and our local Bass Pro Shops here in Tampa to play with some units, get some dimensions, and see the features and ask the questions. I want a large screen don't want a "bloob tube" on my dash either.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you use that model with a Panoptix system in the winter ice fishing? I was shopping livescope and saw this post. Sorry, I won't derail the conversation.
No sir I do not. I have never had much time to do too much winter "fun" activities due to my current job but after I move and start my new job my winter activities are going to hopefully include boating.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello, I'm Chris. I live in the DFW area and just bought a 2010 Yamaha SX240. My family and I will be taking our boat to Texas/Oklahoma lakes, as well as a yearly trip from Miami to Bimini. Can anyone suggest a good, user friendly chartplotter for around $1000 or less that has at least a 9" screen...
Glad to have you on board, we boat primarily on Lewisville, west of the 35 bridge, if your going to travel with your boat I would suggest either lake murray in OK (an easy drive from DFW) or Lake Ouachita in Ar. (it's deep and beautiful)

did you buy your boat from a dealer or individual ? Do you know how many hours are on the engine ?
I believe that year model had an issue with an oil cooler bolt leaking, you may want to research to determine if yours has already been fixed,

but after I move and start my new job my winter activities are going to hopefully include boating.
burying the lead ?? is this happening in 2052 ??

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
:Welcome:
I think any of them will do the trick, it just depends on your needs and features. I wanted a separate chartplotter to keep my Connext screen for info and installed a 7" Axiom display into my dash beside the 7" Connext. We don't fish really so no need for the sonar features, but the plotter works great, is fast and responsive, and I bought it with the full Navionics US/Canada maps which includes out to Bimini and Bahamas. If you get the smaller Navionics "US South" maps that will cover Texas to Bahamas:

The Navionics maps are used by many of the chartplotters and you can view a live chart on their website which has identical info to their charts on plotters at the below link. From there you can move and zoom to see details:

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
welcome from South South Florida