• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help Choosing Keelguard for 195S

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The etching of the gelcoat is no big deal. You just loosly tape the keelgurd to the bottom of the bot with some masking tape then take the same masking tape and mask the border where its going to make contact when its installed. Pull the keelguard off then just sand the gel real good with some 220-180 grit sandpaper. Wipe it all clean with acetone, apply their primer then peel and stick a little at a time working your way from one end to the other.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to agree there. Seems to be a lot of overthink (which, in fairness, I did as well). The keelguard is much easier than everything seems. In fact, I don't think I got the taping right and in the end I figured out it didn't matter. It is on the bottom of the boat, probably only 1" off of the keelguard, where no one sees it and certainly no one notices it. I have NEVER had anyone on my boat say, "Oh, say, I noticed while we were floating back there that, when your boat rode up high on a wave, I could see a little bit of dull to 1/2" to the side of the keelguard..." I have not even said that, and I know it is probably there.

The important thing is that the keelguard protects the keel from stuff. If you should occasionally beach your boat or accidentally hit that sand bar, it helps make sure you do not have a major expense from that. I recommend it. And many folks can report good experiences from a) one falling off and the company standing behind it or b) hitting something and having less damage and/or the company standing behind it.

So, don't get hung up on the install. It's not that bad. And don't fret the color (I put a black one on my white hull). Just pick something and do it to help protect your boat from damage.

PSA, IMHO, and thanks for listening to the rant.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Has anybody here with the Yamaha 2020 195S installed a Keelguard, and if so, which color did you choose? I'm going to order an 8' guard and try to match the Suede Gray hull/keel. Looks like Megaware offers Charcoal, Gray, & Light Gray. I'm leaning towards the Charcoal or Gray but not sure which once would be the best match to the boats hull. It's hard to choose colors online as color reproduction on monitors i highly subjective to configuration.
the keel guard website says 7' for up to 20' boats. just curious on the 8' length. I'm going to order one today.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think there is a lot of leeway in the length department. Longer obviously protects more of the keel, but is more expensive and more of a pain to install. Not sure what length I put on my 24' (I slept since then), but by the time you start up by the bow eye somewhere and run down to the bottom of the boat you probably have used 2-3 feet already. No risk of it hanging off the back if you had 8' of it versus 7'...

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
6” and it appears to be approx 4” above the waterline. I was going for 6“ above the waterline but I don’t know what happened. It would of been an easier instal with help forsure.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
That looks factory. Great choice
I have a 2021 212SE. Maybe you can suggest a length for me. I always side with overkill, like 10 ft. Thanks

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have a 2021 212SE. Maybe you can suggest a length for me. I always side with overkill, like 10 ft. Thanks
i would do 10 on my boat if i had to do it over. why? maybe because there was a lot more boat to go after the 8. not sure maybe 8 will suffice for me. I did 8 with lots of room to spare. 10 would be fine or even 12. unless someone has a better suggestion to not go long.