• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

@help Fuel leak/fuel smell

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Would like to add one thing to above when you go to fill the tank back up. I had an issue with my gasket and was getting a fuel smell and sometimes fuel in the same area. I was able to narrow it down by taking my son to the gas station with me. I lifted the floor. I had my son pump the gas while I stood over the gas tank and feeling with my hands around the hoses and gaskets. I felt a rush of air over my port side fuel pump while he was pumping gas. Hope this helps

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would like to add one thing to above when you go to fill the tank back up. I had an issue with my gasket and was getting a fuel smell and sometimes fuel in the same area. I was able to narrow it down by taking my son to the gas station with me. I lifted the floor. I had my son pump the gas while I stood over the gas tank and feeling with my hands around the hoses and gaskets. I felt a rush of air over my port side fuel pump while he was pumping gas. Hope this helps
I remember that!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/fuel-smell-fuel-in-bilge-ar210-fixed.8590/#post-147940

--

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I agree with the consensus. I doubt the tank has the issue, it is an accessory hose or unit on the tank, gasket, or similar that has lost its seal. Ethanol has that drying effect on seals and gaskets, and not only will they shrink, but they can crack as they continue to dry out. That is a natural effect of time and heat on them, but accelerated by the effects of ethanol. If you haven't already, I would make sure you close the fuel tank compartment drain, to keep vapor and any additional fuel that leaks, from getting into the engine compartment and bilge. The hard part of this is having to fuel until completely full to find the leak (that may be gone for now due to your tightening), and then maybe changing out a gasket with the tank completely full. Keep us posted and may the force be with you!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not a direct contribution to this discussion, but an observation for the curious: I always had a hard time understanding why topping up the tank in the fall would "push" fuel out the vent when the temperature rises in the spring. Liquids don't really expand and contract all that much. Last year I discovered the cause:

Last spring when I was running the cable for my new depth finder, I had the floor hatch up and - due to the lighting conditions inside my storage unit - I could see a large air pocket at the front of the tank. I initially thought it might be a discoloration, but when I lowered the bow (via tongue jack), the bubble moved to the rear of the tank. So the tank is partially translucent.

What does this mean? Well, we all store our boats at least slightly bow-up to make sure any water that might get in will exit the drain plug. (Even us indoor guys get paranoid about leaking roofs.) So that air pocket is up in the front of the tank with no way to get out. When the weather warms up, it is that air pocket - not the fuel - that expands and pushes gasoline out the vent pipe like a big explosive super-soaker.

The fix would be to store the boat bow-down but that's not a good idea due to the aforementioned location of the drain plug.

So the wisdom we've all received here here is correct (don't completely fill the tank in the fall), I just understand WHY now. (Yeah, I was THAT kid. "Why Daddy?")

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the additional replies. As an update, I had stored the boat overnight with the tongue jack as high as it would go. Upon inspection this morning there did not appear to be any other fuel on the floor of the fuel tank compartment. I took the boat out and ran it for 20 minutes and took a look again while the boat was on the water. Again, no additional leaking of fuel. Was primarily at anchor today, but drove the boat 45-60 minutes total today and had no additional fuel upon inspecting boat again at the end of the day on trailer with tongue completely raised. While I am happy with the result, I am anxious to see how the boat responds when topped off with fuel. That will be next step I take, but unfortunately, due to work and family commitments, the boat won't see any usage for two weeks. I will post an update after the next step.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wouldn't think you would have an issue unless fueled up. But glad all was well today. You could add five gallon cans throughout the weeks till full, unless you keep at a marina.