• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help me decide: Scarab or Yamaha 195

H20Thrust

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dear Torn,
Big decision on buying a boat. away from Rotax superchargers, Rotax engines with out the superchargers are good reliable engines. I believe the Scarab your looking at has no S.C. ?? If it does have a S.C. stay away.
It’s a 250 HP 195, so that means it’s supercharged right? Why do you say stay away?

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you! Lots of good info here.

I went and looked at the 2017 Scarab today. It was listed as “meticulously kept” but after driving 8 hours round trip, it looked like it had been dragged against a brick wall for all 6 years of its existence. So much dock rash. Engine hours are very low for this year, but it’s still concerning, the cosmetic damage.

For the same price, I can get a nearly pristine Yamaha. Such a tough decision.

I really like the Scarab, especially with the added Wake package because it allows me to do something the Yamahas can’t, at least not stock. But is that worth a boat that’s been neglected cosmetically?

Guess I need to keep shopping. Or just buy a clean Yamaha and make it what I want.
To be straight up, never owned or been on a scarab. I own a 195s and love it. The single engine Yamaha can actually be very surf able. Never will be a dedicated surf boat, and takes some bag filling etc. but I’m 180-200 and have no problem going ropeless. I really don’t think you will be disappointed with a newer Yamaha.

RodSibley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It’s a 250 HP 195, so that means it’s supercharged right? Why do you say stay away?
I have owned 3 separate craft with Rotax Supercharged engines; All 3 superchargers failed, causing severe damage, all 3 did not have high hours, Rotax SuperChargers give you a lot of HorsePower and Top speed, They will fail and cause damage. The average boat owner is looking for a reliable dependable low maintenance boat for the family, Rotax superchargers are not for them

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@jdkaeser Just to make sure, you're aware your boat CAN take lower octane right? Having the higher octane helps with performance but your engine can take as low as 87 octane in North America. It will work just fine, just won't necessarily give you full performance.

@Michal Yes, older models need a rebuild of the supercharger. Switchover happened around that time. I think it was 2018... so 2017 and previous would need them. There's a way to tell based on a specific nut on the supercharger.
While the Rotax in Scarab might be tuned to be able to take lower octane fuel, the Yamaha SVHO definitely is not. You will get detonation and the knock sensors will tell the ECU to dump a bunch of fuel giving you terrible mileage and less performance. The purpose of the SVHO is performance, if you use the wrong fuel it kinda of defeats the purpose of having it. That was my purpose for stating that if you always trailer your boat, get the SVHO and hit a gas station on your way home. If it is going to live on a lift or in the water and 91 octane is never available, get the regular HO engine. Most of the docks I hit only have 89.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To be straight up, never owned or been on a scarab. I own a 195s and love it. The single engine Yamaha can actually be very surf able. Never will be a dedicated surf boat, and takes some bag filling etc. but I’m 180-200 and have no problem going ropeless. I really don’t think you will be disappointed with a newer Yamaha.
Did the superchargers fail within the rebuild period? I would be curious to know the years of the engines that failed?

Thanks,

Jim

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Scarab 215 with SC’s Rotax engines, and have had no issues…period. Well over 100 hours on each engine. Keep in mind a lot of Rotax SC issues are on jet skis, which tend to be driven differently (jumping waves/wakes, etc.. I’m sure I would be every bit as happy with a Yamaha, but have not regretted or questioned the Scarab for even one second. Yamaha boats seem very well built, and also seem quite reliable. My experience is the same with Scarab. Test drive both, make your pick and don’t look back.

Barry165G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Imho, clean out ports are most important on a single engine jet boat. If you have twin engines at least you can get back to dock one one jet so not as important.
Can you explain a bit more why clean out port is more important In a single engine jetboat?

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you explain a bit more why clean out port is more important In a single engine jetboat?
On a single engine boat you are dead in the water if you can't clear the rope or other large item that may be blocking the jet. On a twin you can limp back to the landing on one engine.

I do admit small plant life debree may be freed with the reverse move as the shaft is supposed to be shielded on the scarebs but a rope is going to shut down any boat even a prop boat is in trouble with a rope.

Barry165G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
On a single engine boat you are dead in the water if you can't clear the rope or other large item that may be blocking the jet. On a twin you can limp back to the landing on one engine.

I do admit small plant life debree may be freed with the reverse move as the shaft is supposed to be shielded on the scarebs but a rope is going to shut down any boat even a prop boat is in trouble with a rope.
Thanks the info! now I have to be very careful.