• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HELP, my wife’s suit stained our brand new boat seats!

Gunghoe9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We’ve tried dish soap and hot water, vinyl sauce and even rubbing alcohol. Any ideas?E73E98E1-55BE-45F5-B514-62C0DA982329.jpeg

Try denatured alcohol. It will also fade with time. But that sucks I feel for you

OP what caused the stain?

Seems to be going around lately...

No new unwashed swimming suits should be allowed on our boats!
THIS!
No unwashed anything on our boat, or furniture at home, deck, hot tub, whatever - if it gets wet, the colours can bleed. We bought a few new large beach towels to put on the boat and my wife washed them before they touched the boat for exactly this reason. She also washes new bikinis, jeans, t-shirts, bras, etc. as well. Basically if it's not white, it can bleed the colours.
:eek:

We knew that and washed everything yesterday. Thought we had it covered, but it still bled onto the seats.

White shoe polish? Try a spot and see. There are some markers made for covering stains in a couch. Maybe you can find white and try that. Heres a furniture marker I use, not white obviously.

Attachments

• IMG_5622.JPG
    IMG_5622.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 2
I used to worry about this stuff until I’ll realized it ruined everyone’s trip. I didn’t allow red drinks, got all up in arms about suntan lotion spray, etc. So, now I just know mistakes happen and it’s a boat. Mine and my guests boating experiences are much more enjoyable now. It will fade. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Easier said then done though, I know.

No new unwashed swimming suits should be allowed on our boats!

Well I'm glad I'm never wearing anything new

We knew that and washed everything yesterday. Thought we had it covered, but it still bled onto the seats.

I'm sure Mrs feel bad. I would say a bleach product but I would hate to see the bleed run and make it worse.
The magic easer would be the least aggressive

Ditto on the magic eraser- we also had a suit stain our seats in the first season. The magic eraser got it off pretty well and now we can’t see it at all.

I second that I stopped caring. Accidents happen and most stains fade over time in the sun. I still very much take care of my boat and has great resale value.

Let me know how it goes. I ordered some 303 Marine cleaner and will try to find some 99% Isopropyl alcohol.

I mentioned this in @HangOutdoors thread regarding the same issue. Any strong solvent will lift sharpie/ink bleed from MOST surfaces - the issue is finding a solvent strong enough to lift the ink, but not damage the vinyl.

99% IPA works well for most ink stains and is usually wont damage vinyl. most rubbing alcohol however, is 70% IPA and 30% water... so try and look for the 99%

Id stay far away from any sort of diluted acetone or nail polish remover.

Vinyl Paint/ Upholstry paint.

What a lot of people don't realize is that when the Dye comes off of clothing etc, it generally dyes whatever it its rub or sat on, so its not really just a matter of trying to wash it off. Its just like the clothing it came off of. If you wash it then yes, some of it will come out but the purpose of dye is to set in and color a product, not cover with color and then wash out.

Take into consideration that its Dyed, not just color sitting on the surface. Id recommend taking a shot at a vinyl or upholstery type paint.

Good info above and certainly not knocking anybodies input but again, understand the purpose of what a dye actually does when it gets INTO something.

Found the video I was looking for to better see how many products Rob actually tried out on his seat. Take precaution (as mentioned above) with the finger nail polish remover and other harsh chemicals. They will affect the texture of your seat.

Last edited:
had the exact same thing happen last year. tried to clean it with no luck. after 2 hot days on the water it was gone, I didn't even notice until we were home cleaning out the boat and I couldn't find the black stain anymore

Back