• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

It hurts me deep inside

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am coming to terms with it a bit, but looking for a possible fix.

Last weekend we were out on the lake. Sandwiches were made at the house and on the outside of the sandwich ziplock bag everyone got their name written on theirs with a Blue Sharpie Permanent marker........ you can see where this is going.....

So I opened up my sandwich and put the bag face down on my white bench seat, not really thinking about it. After I was done with lunch I picked up the trash and noticed that my name is now in permanent ink in blue on the seat. I tried to wipe it off with water, alcholol from first aid kit, to no avail. By the end of the day it faded a good amount but you can still see it.

Not sure what to do or what to use to remove it completely. Any suggestions outside of replacing the cushion? Needless to say, marking things and any markers are permanently banned.

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hopefully it will just fade over time with some help from the sun. First time out on our boat my wife's new swimsuit bled on the seat I couldn't initially get it out, but now I can't tell where it was.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Usually alcohol will work for a sharpie, but if it soaked in to the vinyl maybe not. Hey, on the plus side everyone will know who's boat it is, your name is on it!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ugh. I just had a flag I purchased get wet and, while rolled up next to the helm down below the throttle levers, bleed into the gelcoat. I feel your pain, but at least now you got the "first scratch/mark" out of the way. :)

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Oh man. You scared me. Judging by the title, I thought you had a run in between an orifice and a jet. Instead you were just permanently marking your seat.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Magic eraser?

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
light scrub magic eraser. keep it wet with armor all or similar vinyl/leather treatment.

got sharpie off my wifes brand new pathfinder beige seats like this.

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I too have had this happen along with one of my friends wife wearing a new pair of shorts and it bled into the seat cushion???? I used the 303 marine cleaner and it mostly went away with some gentle scrubbing. With time they both went away thank god. Hope it comes out soon or someone else's method works. Good luck.

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I joined the club two weekends ago we had a friend on the boat and her black bathing suit/cover-up bled through the white seats in two spots in one spot you could see her ass cheeks but the other spot was not so pronounced I tried everything and most everything fails at getting this out. It is starting to fade a bit. I guess the more time in the sun the more fade hopefully. Or you could always replace the cushions if you really want to go crazy they’re about $435 per to replace.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recommend soft scrub with bleach but be sure to wipe of the residue so it doesn’t keep working after the stain is removed. If you are in no rush or reluctant to use chemicals just let the sun do it’s thing.

Ramblinwreck

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm with Ancient and Ronnie--might just let the sun do it's thing. My wife wore a new black swimsuit out one day and we noticed everywhere she sat the seats (front and back, ugh) were stained with a black/gray tint. She cried. I tried to say it's ok--while I cried. Once back in that day, we did a little light scrubbing with mild soap & water to no avail. The next day out for a full day in the sun and it was gone. No harm done and not noticeable what-so-ever. All smiles again. And I'm really glad we didn't go nuts with harsh scrubbing cleaning and do any damage to the seats. You might just let the sun work it's magic imo. Hoping for the best for you.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The magic fix, generally, for Sharpie markers is 409, believe it or not.

signed, husband of a teacher

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We got sharpie off of porous seating rocks in our firepit with magic eraser. Just watch the abrasion on the vinyl. This too shall pass....

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My red Buffalo Bills flag got wet on its first outing, wasn’t sure how my redneck rigged flag poles were going to hold up to the wind on the ride back so I had a friend take them down while underway. He just set it down against the seat instead of going back in its home in the ski locker. Thing bled red ink everywhere. Side of the the seat and carpet looked like a shark attack happened in the boat. I didn’t really care about the carpet but the seat was upsetting. Some vinyl cleaner/protectant and elbow grease got it out of the cushion to where you could only see it if you knew it was there. Only hosed the carpet. After 5/6 outings in the Florida sun and ocean water, combined with a good hose down after each outing and some dawn, and sitting in the sun the next day to dry out and it’s all gone. Can’t find a trace on the seat or on the carpet.

Magic eraser will probably work pretty well, didn’t even think about that. Just be careful not to over scrub, those have microscopic glass in them, won’t hurt anyone but they have a sandpaper effect if you scrub to hard/don’t have a lot of water. Took some paint of off drywall by accident removing scuffs off my old rental house a few years back.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I agree with above, id try magic eraser first. Lightly scrubbing. I know those things are loaded with chemicals. If that doesn't work, try 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Strong solvents work great on sharpies.

Most rubbing alcohol is ~70% IPA and ~30% water, so it doesn't evaporate as quickly from the surface its being used on. Ideal for disinfecting, not great for cleaning.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Btw, if you buy fancy new ropes to match the color of your new boat, remember to run them through the washer and dryer before using them. They will bleed as soon as they get wet.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would try the Magic Eraser *LAST*. It is abrasive. If you try 409 and the sun and so-forth and still have no joy, then you should undertake the eraser. Otherwise, you are just sanding down your seats...

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well the boat is covered. Will uncover tomorrow after work, and assess and try some of these recommendations. Thanks

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Murphys oil soap does wonders on sharpie on clothes. Not sure how it would do on vinyl, but worth a shot. Basically pour a little on, use a toothbrush, and dab it up with a paper towel(PLAIN WHITE paper towel with no designs or anything), then rinse with water. I've gotten a ton of sharpie out of my kids clothes with that.