• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Help, new SX190 owner and first time out notice a bad rattle in impeller

not to thread hijack, but
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC I tried the one engine forward and one engine reverse with your mega fangs..... All I can say is WOW! My 242 spun around on a dime! Incredibly controlled

Thank you, and you should also thank foobar for reminding us of this trick , I had forgotten all about it until he demonstrated it recently , just getting old I guess lol. F Y I It can also be done on a stock twin engine boat the same way with fairly nice results as well. It was one of the inherent features of a twin engine jet boat.

Thanks again for the feedback. I checked the inside of the impeller housing and there are some fine scratches in it, not deep nor do I see wear on the edges of the impeller blades but as you elude it wouldn't take much contact at rpm's to make some disturbing noises. I lightly greased the inside of the housing but didn't get a chance to fire it up to see if it was quieter with a grease buffer.

So more than likely the next step is to pull the inside bearing assembly which requires unbolting the engine and loosening the exhaust clamps so I can pull it forward enough to remove it?

If I confirm it is indeed bad (which is almost surely the case) did someone mention you buy the entire assembly as a unit and swap the whole thing out?
Or is it best it break it down and swap out only the defective pieces? If piecing it out looks like I may need to replace parts 3,5,7,8,9 (assuming circlips are still good)?
Does the impeller housing look like it would need to be replaced?

Sorry I'm not tracking what the rubber vibration dampener is, is that inside the bearing assembly?

Thanks again!
Well, your wear ring and intake tunnel - from what I can tell from that picture - look fine.

I really wouldn't panic, and probably not do anything at this point.
Maybe check the pump bearings - remove the cone, and change the grease, that is relatively easy and there is a (very small) possibility that bearing could be getting water intrusion and getting noisy.

I think that most likely you did some damage to the intermediate bearing seal with that fishing line, but who knows how long that's been there.

Those 1.8 engines are noisy and sound like there are marbles inside, literally. On the hose you also hear the pump and that's worse.

Here is another post with a clip from another member with a 1.8 SHO ski who felt his engine was falling apart (it wasn't):

10 hours on my new ski is this a timing chain issue or something else or normal, I have a hard time believing it's normal used to work as a mechanic and never heard sounds like this coming from a motor.
this sound was almost from day one. The first day we took them out was for an entire tank of fuel. 50 mile ride up and down the river . Thanks for any help

I would suggest you do my trick with the weed whacker string and take a sample of the grease inside the intermediate bearing , if it is clean and no water is visible you may be ok for a while on it just check it occasionally do a search on how to check the grease in the bearing housing, I am pretty certain your stainless liner is making contact with the impeller, the more you drive the boat the less it will ring and chatter as it wears down.
The problem is when it sits for any length of time it will get worse and never stop being an issue.
I did a post once about a low cost way to deal with the liner swelling and I did try this personally just to see how it worked.
It worked rather well but I never left it in use long enough to give you any results for using it over time.
I Personally just install the plastic wear ring sections that I have been told are not a good option for boats. This info is from a very credible member who does this for a living.
However for wave runners with the 1800 engines , I like how they work and not a sound when I put the skies on the trailer and run them no cavitation either.
I would suggest the stainless pump section may be a good alternative, with your current situation just remember if you feel the engine dragging when you first try to start it after it sits a week or longer, you need to repair this problem or risk doing more damage to the impeller and the starter.

I would suggest you do my trick with the weed whacker string and take a sample of the grease inside the intermediate bearing , if it is clean and no water is visible you may be ok for a while on it just check it occasionally
I like that idea!

--

I agree - unless I have a similar issue my boat sounds about the same on the hose. I don't think you have an issue but I'd run it in the water to be sure. If anything you have gain significant learning experience on inspecting your impellers.

Back