• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help ! New to the Jet life

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello guys, I just bought my first 2005 SX230 a few days ago and today was the first time I took her out in the water. First problem the scupper valve was bad noticed water leaking into the boat. Pulled out of water and plugged it with a sink plug. Put her back in the water and no more water. So then I noticed a great decrease in engine power a few seconds later on the right side of the engine and the RPM was going higher then the the left engine and the MPH cluster wasn’t working. Took it home and noticed the the clean out plug wasn’t on correctly. Now the two question I have are: 1, will the plug on the scuppler valve effect it if I leave it? 2: would the clean out plug cause the RPMs to go high and loose dramatic amounts of power ?? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your plug in the scupper is messing up the wheel for the speedometer. There are a couple of different threads on how to replace a scupper with stainless just search around and you will find it.

The clean out plug not being attached correctly will cause cavitation which explains the higher rpms. Get the cobra locks for the clean outs and that won’t happen again.

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your plug in the scupper is messing up the wheel for the speedometer. There are a couple of different threads on how to replace a scupper with stainless just search around and you will find it.

The clean out plug not being attached correctly will cause cavitation which explains the higher rpms. Get the cobra locks for the clean outs and that won’t happen again.
Cobra locks ? I’m new to all of this . The plug for the speedometer? Where’s that located ?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Hoosiercuts. Quick thinking on the sink plug mod. You DEFINITELY want to replace the scupper valve with a stainless steel one. As mentioned there is a ton of info on this forum on how to go about this. There is even a tool, made by a member, that you can asked to be mailed to you. I believe it only cost each member the cost of mailing to the next member.

With regard to the cleanout plugs. The purpose of the plugs are twofold. 1) They provide a convenient, in boat means of clearing debris from the intake and impeller. 2) They direct the thrust, generated by the impeller, out the back of the boat which gives us forward speed. If these plugs are not installed correctly they can blow out with enough force to destroy your cleanout hatch, launching your plug into the water. These plugs don't float and cost over $300 each. Your solution is to buy the very inexpensive and infallable safety clip from @Cobra Jet Steering LLC. Jeff invented and sells these clips and steering fins to make our jet boating lives much safer and easier. I know this sounds like an infomercial but it is advice utilized by the majority of our members.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One more note @Hoosiercuts. Whereas this is a new to you boat I would go through it to avoid anymore surprises. Regardless what the previous owner has told you I would change oil, filter and spark plugs. You also want to check the air filters. It is very common for owners and service mechanics to overfill these MR-1 motors. Doing so blows excess oil into the air box coating the air filters with oil. These air filters cost over $100 each. Unlike car air filters boat air filters operate in a much cleaner environment so rarely ever need replacement. There is much information in our FAQ section helping you with these maintenance issues.

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Rhank
One more note @Hoosiercuts. Whereas this is a new to you boat I would go through it to avoid anymore surprises. Regardless what the previous owner has told you I would change oil, filter and spark plugs. You also want to check the air filters. It is very common for owners and service mechanics to overfill these MR-1 motors. Doing so blows excess oil into the air box coating the air filters with oil. These air filters cost over $100 each. Unlike car air filters boat air filters operate in a much cleaner environment so rarely ever need replacement. There is much information in our FAQ section helping you with these maintenance issues.
Thank you. How’s the engines suppose to sound when on ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board,

When the engine is on at idle it sounds like a sweet wind blowing through the air, at 10k rpm it sounds like a screaming beast,

as gym said the FAQ has lots of great info along with the link in my signature below to common issues with your year model boat,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rhank

Thank you. How’s the engines suppose to sound when on ?
I may like this thread,

when at idle it sounds like the wafting smoke from your neighbors grill
at red line it sounds like the first bite of a perfectly cooked ribeye

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A bit more on the oil level thing: Your "official" check (deciding if you should add oil) should only be done on the water with hot engines. When my boat is sitting on the trailer cold, sometimes I have no oil at all on the dipstick. Warmed up on the water, my oil level is in the middle of the good-zone. If I topped off my oil based on the reading I get on the trailer I'd be overfilled.

As mentioned, overfilling will wreck your (expensive) air filters - which will cause performance issues.

I'll admit, the first time I checked the oil and found an empty dipstick I was concerned. I had to go through the logic: "The last time I checked it on the water it was fine. I'm not burning oil. The floor under the engines is clean, white, and oil-free. Unless someone broke into my storage unit and sucked oil out of my motor, there HAS to be oil in there." ...and there was.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how many plugs do you have ?

you should have one drain plug at the front of the engine bay that drains water out of the ski locker,
another at the center bottom of the engine bay that lets water from under the engine floor into the bilge,

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question about Cobra locks. I started to send an email to Cobra, but thought others may wonder the same thing I did. I went to the cobra website for these, and found the following note:
If you own a Yamaha Jet Boat made from the year 2000 to 2016, you should take measures to avoid a cleanout plug coming loose or blowing out of it's tube.

So, if I have a 2019 AR210, does that mean I do not need these locks? Has Yamaha fixed this need on their own?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
how many plugs do you have ?

you should have one drain plug at the front of the engine bay that drains water out of the ski locker,
another at the center bottom of the engine bay that lets water from under the engine floor into the bilge,
There’s like 4 in the bay

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question about Cobra locks. I started to send an email to Cobra, but thought others may wonder the same thing I did. I went to the cobra website for these, and found the following note:
If you own a Yamaha Jet Boat made from the year 2000 to 2016, you should take measures to avoid a cleanout plug coming loose or blowing out of it's tube.

So, if I have a 2019 AR210, does that mean I do not need these locks? Has Yamaha fixed this need on their own?
correct your clean out plugs screw in. the older plugs set in the holes and you press down to have dog ears lock it in. EZ locks prevent the dog ear locks from unlocking.

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Wiremanmike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, be sure to look around when you have the back opened up to replace the scupper valve, I had 10 broken hose clamps down there I was able to repair

parkerexpress

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have oil on my filter and in the bolts also on one engine My cold level is 2/3 between L and H. I assume I am still a tad high. Gonna pull out some more. I am interested in what others say.