• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

@help Trailer went walkabout

smthng

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
1428941693611-1679844634.jpg [USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP] new to me 212x trailer hopped off the hitch on a really rough set of railroad tracks. I was doing about 3mph so nothing hit anything, but I had to drag the thing off the tracks. Current damage I can see is a severed wiring harness. Not a big deal, but the surge brake assembly is apparently stuck forward. Need options... Trying to attach picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if pulling your boat home would pull the surge brake assembly forward to its normal position. If not you are going to have to figure out how to lock your trailer in place (i.e. chain it to a tree or something similar) and pull the hitch with a truck.

If your pin on the hitch latch didn't come out, I would tighten the nut on the hitch latch assembly to create a tighter fit on your ball.

Can't say I've had it happen... But can you try feeding the break away cable back in? Guessing that engaged and could be holding you out? Just throwing out ideas, hopefully someone that's has some more knowledge will chime in

I adjust the nut with the latch up, then put the latch down, check the tightness, and repeat if necessary.

Are you trailer brakes locked up? If not the brake actuator will pull out after you drive off.

Can't say I've had it happen... But can you try feeding the break away cable back in? Guessing that engaged and could be holding you out? Just throwing out ideas, hopefully someone that's has some more knowledge will chime in
I thought the breakway cable was a one time use and to release the breaks you need to hit the release underneah?

I thought the breakway cable was a one time use and to release the breaks you need to hit the release underneah?
x2 The break away cable release tab is underneath and you push it in and feed cable back in. I had to replace my S hook and release the brakes after forgetting to take cable off.

I've never had a trailer come off the ball. I would check for 2" ball as folks have suggested. I've never adjusted the tightness but I guess I have to check now.

I believe this our manual for the MFI trailer brakes...A70 http://www.expediter.com/pdf folder.../UFP A-60 & A-70 Hydraulic Brake Actuator.pdf

There is a small circle clip inside the tongue that needs to be replaced after the break away cable is pulled. It doesn't sound like that happened to him ... guess we will wait for an update.

Pulling the trailer has no effect. Doesn't feel like brakes are engaged.

Any guesses on metric or standard? Gotta buy a ratchet set.
My guess is standard. If you make the adjustment with the latch up there won't be any tension on the nut so either one will be close enough.

If your brakes are not locked up, next stop check your brake fluid in the trailer reservoir. Also when pulling over next stop ease in to stop and check if the trailer brakes are unlocked. If not, while in parking lot slightly jerk the truck forward and then check if the tongue come forward.

Also, I know this is obvious, but make sure you have the right ball size. Mine requires a 2" ball.
X2.....it does happen!

Got it to a tire place that knows a little about surge brakes. They said they can at least get it to lockout so the brakes aren't dragging. They'll know more when they get into it.
It's a 2 inch ball, which I have. The back latch was way out and probably not even grabbing the ball... Took about 8 full turns on the adjustment bolt to get to the point where I could feel resistance when locking it. As far as I can tell I didn't trigger the safety wire/pin thing. Hopefully the latch tightening fixed the source of the problem and they'll rig it enough to get me home safely. I'll have to rig up wiring to get it home with lights.

Last edited:
Got it to a tie place that knows a little about surge brakes. They said they can at least get it to lockout so the brakes aren't dragging. They'll know more when they get into it.
It's a 2 inch ball, which I have. The back latch was way out and probably not even grabbing the ball... Took about 8 full turns on the adjustment bolt to get to the point where I could feel resistance when locking it. As far as I can tell I didn't trigger the safety wire/pin thing. Hopefully the latch tightening fixed the source of the problem and they'll rig it enough to get me home safely. I'll have to rig up wiring to get it home with lights.
With as much as you had to adjust the latch, I bet that was your problem. Hope all the other fixes are easy and cheap.

Back