• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help- Will steering with engines damage them?

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay- I've read 6-7 threads on here, and I can't quite figure this out. Bare with me, as there is a little bit leading up to this. For reference, I own an unmodified 2005 SX230.

I am a new jet boat owner this year, and I had some work to do when I bought my used jet boat. We went through the ringer with reverse cables, fuel injectors, spark plugs, compression tests, throttle linkage adjustment, bucket adjustments, etc. I know my jet boat fairly well now, for a 25 year old teacher.

In my past thread, someone had warned me not to tow past wake speed because it can put water into the engines. I had a scare of water in the engines (discovered during said compression test), which is how this came up. Needless to say, it is now something that I am conscious of, and take special care to avoid. I burp my engine after rides (the one time I didn't, I had a rough start on my port side engine). We have been having an awful time figuring out how to steer and dock at no wake speeds. We have resorted to juicing one engine at a time to steer the boat at low speeds. Is this bad to be giving throttle to one engine, while the other simply idles? Will it put water into the engine that is only idling? Is there a better way to steer? I have looked at the Cobra Jet Steering packages, but have already dumped quite a bit of money into the boat this year, so I planned on waiting until next year. I'd also like to learn how to do it without the assistance of devices, first.

Any thoughts, comments, and questions are welcome. As always, thank you all for your help!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Okay- I've read 6-7 threads on here, and I can't quite figure this out. Bare with me, as there is a little bit leading up to this. For reference, I own an unmodified 2005 SX230.

I am a new jet boat owner this year, and I had some work to do when I bought my used jet boat. We went through the ringer with reverse cables, fuel injectors, spark plugs, compression tests, throttle linkage adjustment, bucket adjustments, etc. I know my jet boat fairly well now, for a 25 year old teacher.

In my past thread, someone had warned me not to tow past wake speed because it can put water into the engines. I had a scare of water in the engines (discovered during said compression test), which is how this came up. Needless to say, it is now something that I am conscious of, and take special care to avoid. I burp my engine after rides (the one time I didn't, I had a rough start on my port side engine). We have been having an awful time figuring out how to steer and dock at no wake speeds. We have resorted to juicing one engine at a time to steer the boat at low speeds. Is this bad to be giving throttle to one engine, while the other simply idles? Will it put water into the engine that is only idling? Is there a better way to steer? I have looked at the Cobra Jet Steering packages, but have already dumped quite a bit of money into the boat this year, so I planned on waiting until next year. I'd also like to learn how to do it without the assistance of devices, first.

Any thoughts, comments, and questions are welcome. As always, thank you all for your help!
You’re doing the right thing. That’s how I steer and I gingerly approach the docks and trailer this way. No damage concerns because your engines are still pissing out water, unlike an engine not operating.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's interesting that you burp the engine after rides. Is this after riding for a stretch, but still on the water? Or after the day and on the lift/trailer?

I've had, on my 2020 about a half dozen times where the starboard engine won't fire, just cranks. But the port engine turned over perfectly. After a few long cranks it'll fire up.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No harm at all in using different throttle inputs on the engines as long as they both are running. For example, if I caught a stick and bent an impeller causing severe cavitation on one engine, as long as there was no harm of additional damage, I would just idle that engine while using the other to “return to base” as quickly as needed. Just be careful using a lot of throttle around the dock. I only need to use neutral, forward idle and reverse in differing combinations on each throttle to make it do whatever I want around the dock. Other boats can’t do that.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

@Newbie7 ......no problem doing that at all. That is a common way for captains with twin I/Os to steer. You can even put one engine in reverse with the other in forward.....just practice this a bit first in open water then at a long dock somewhere where there is no traffic. It's called "walking" your boat. You can get to the point where you can literally move it sideways like it had Axius or Dock Assist. Cheers MT

Last edited:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You’re probably already doing this, but you can use your No Wake Mode switch for thrust.

TGinNY

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's interesting that you burp the engine after rides. Is this after riding for a stretch, but still on the water? Or after the day and on the lift/trailer?

I've had, on my 2020 about a half dozen times where the starboard engine won't fire, just cranks. But the port engine turned over perfectly. After a few long cranks it'll fire up.
Interested.... had similar issue with starboard motor as well 1 time. Weird. I flush And try to clear flush water after every use.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ll affirm to the OP that really the biggest plus to twin engines (as opposed to one really powerful one) is the ability to use them at differing speed/direction to turn your boat in its own length. As for burping after putting it on the trailer or flushing, I’ll be honest you aren’t achieving much. These impellers don’t push air very well, so you aren’t “forcing” air into the cooling system. All you’re really doing is spinning the water out of the impeller and tunnel, these guys self drain so no need to try and force them dry, if that makes any sense. The cooling water pressurization comes from the pump being in the water in other words, no water no pressure.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Interested.... had similar issue with starboard motor as well 1 time. Weird. I flush And try to clear flush water after every use.
Same here...port always fires right up, stbd often fires right up but once in a while takes a little cranking to fire. Haven't found any reason why.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t have fins *yet* but I do have to deal with some good wind/current. The differential thrust IE putting one throttle forward, one reverse is a great way to turn/spin the boat around the dock. Toss a bumper out in some open water and practice “docking” to it. One throttle to the forward neutral or whatever that detent is to open gate, other throttle to reverse detent and a touch of reverse rpm is usually plenty to get her turning. Your going to end up moving back a little so I get a little forward of my intended docking spot.

There is a handy diagram/chart I think someone linked above to help ya out with what to do with the wheel and each throttle position to get your desired result.

Also if you can get within a few feet up wind of the dock you can just let wind gently push you to the dock. Putting your top down if you have one will also help mitigate wind pushing you around.

I’m a newb to jet boats, so take my advice for what it’s worth. I learned my lesson the hard way and got a couple scratches on my graphics before I decided to slow everything down and just turn around and try again or kick it reverse to stop and line up better. It’s much less embarrassing going nice and slow for a smooth docking than trying to look like a pro and end up looking like a fool slamming into the dock sideways.

My wife even complimented my last two approaches/docking so I know it’s going better.

I’ve seen a lot of jet boats (100+} the last few months. Just about everyone has fins, so I guess they work well.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The one engine firing is a very common issue that no one seems to be able to figure out some have said heat soak after a long run and to keep the blowers on for a while when shutting down to help cool them I've had it happen first trip of the day also

Last edited:

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You’re doing the right thing. That’s how I steer and I gingerly approach the docks and trailer this way. No damage concerns because your engines are still pissing out water, unlike an engine not operating.
That is so good to know! I was petrified of "hydrolocking."

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Per the advice of someone on the last thread I posted, I burp it on the trailer. Never more than 15 seconds and 3-4 half throttle bursts. You should see the water that comes out. It's unreal.

I'm semi glad to know that it is a common issue, and it isn't just me (with the starboard engine).

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's how I steer like a pro. Goose it when needed on one side or the other. Remember the key to stereing - No thrust no control.
Thank you for the input! I'll keep practicing.

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No harm at all in using different throttle inputs on the engines as long as they both are running. For example, if I caught a stick and bent an impeller causing severe cavitation on one engine, as long as there was no harm of additional damage, I would just idle that engine while using the other to “return to base” as quickly as needed. Just be careful using a lot of throttle around the dock. I only need to use neutral, forward idle and reverse in differing combinations on each throttle to make it do whatever I want around the dock. Other boats can’t do that.
That is so good to know! I was worried that I would have to clamp the intake hose on one engine in order to avoid sucking up water. This steering business just got so much easier for us now that we aren't worried about keeping the engines the same.

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You’re probably already doing this, but you can use your No Wake Mode switch for thrust.
I actually hadn't figured out nowake mode. I have only had it out and running well for two trips now (we had a little trouble shooting to do). Do I just get to my desired speed, and hit the no wake button like cruise control? I have two nowake buttons... is there one for each engine?

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ll affirm to the OP that really the biggest plus to twin engines (as opposed to one really powerful one) is the ability to use them at differing speed/direction to turn your boat in its own length. As for burping after putting it on the trailer or flushing, I’ll be honest you aren’t achieving much. These impellers don’t push air very well, so you aren’t “forcing” air into the cooling system. All you’re really doing is spinning the water out of the impeller and tunnel, these guys self drain so no need to try and force them dry, if that makes any sense. The cooling water pressurization comes from the pump being in the water in other words, no water no pressure.
I know that I probably should have figured this out on my own... but I've never owned a boat before- let alone a jet boat. This has been a learning curve like you wouldn't believe. I bought it thinking it would be something small that I could take it to my local dealer for and I soon discovered that there is one dealer with 250 miles of me that will work on them and they were booked out three weeks, so we commenced to figuring it out ourselves. I've never felt so educated and uneducated at the same time.

Hearing you all confirm that I'm not hurting the engines by running them differently makes me feel so much better and more confident. Now I can really get out and practice docking.

Newbie7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t have fins *yet* but I do have to deal with some good wind/current. The differential thrust IE putting one throttle forward, one reverse is a great way to turn/spin the boat around the dock. Toss a bumper out in some open water and practice “docking” to it. One throttle to the forward neutral or whatever that detent is to open gate, other throttle to reverse detent and a touch of reverse rpm is usually plenty to get her turning. Your going to end up moving back a little so I get a little forward of my intended docking spot.

There is a handy diagram/chart I think someone linked above to help ya out with what to do with the wheel and each throttle position to get your desired result.

Also if you can get within a few feet up wind of the dock you can just let wind gently push you to the dock. Putting your top down if you have one will also help mitigate wind pushing you around.

I’m a newb to jet boats, so take my advice for what it’s worth. I learned my lesson the hard way and got a couple scratches on my graphics before I decided to slow everything down and just turn around and try again or kick it reverse to stop and line up better. It’s much less embarrassing going nice and slow for a smooth docking than trying to look like a pro and end up looking like a fool slamming into the dock sideways.

My wife even complimented my last two approaches/docking so I know it’s going better.

I’ve seen a lot of jet boats (100+} the last few months. Just about everyone has fins, so I guess they work well.
I have heard amazing things about the fins from three friends. The local fire department bought a jet boat to perform rescue and DUI checks on the local lake. None of them could figure out how to drive it, so they bought fins and now none of them have trouble. They say it makes a world of difference, but I'm one of those old school people who just want to know how to do it unassisted before I "cheat." I have two other friends who put them on before ever learning and said that they would do it over and over again. They love them. I plan to, just not yet.

Also, thank you so much for your input. We are the definition of slow and steady. My boat is a 2005, but it is in AMAZING condition, and I am bound and determined to keep it that way. I think there area total of 5 scratches on the whole thing and the rubber on the side is in great shape. It is going to be a chore to keep it that way, but that is the plan. We buffed, polished, and waxed it last night and she sparkles now.