• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

High and Dry Procedure

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m storing my boat at a high and dry marina and am working on my pre and post check lists. One of the items I’m concerned about are the plugs. Should I leave the drain and clean-out plugs in or take them out? I’ve requested that the staff remove the clean outs but it seems hit or miss on whether they actually do it or not. Most of the time it’ll be immediately pulled out of the water by the fork lift, but if I get back after hours or want to leave super early it’ll stay tied up to the dock overnight. When they drop it off/pull it out they usually do it by hand so the engines won’t be on, but I’m not certain that’ll be the case 100% of the time. Worst case they’ll try to boat it to another slip.

Would these conditions be ok to let the boat sit with the drain plugs and clean out ports open or not?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As long as they aren't running the engines, you should be OK to remove the clean-out plugs.

The general thought with the drain plugs is you want them removed once the boat is out of the water so any water can drain lower and eventually out the bilge drain. Does the marina remove that plug once the boat is out of the water or do they leave it in? Does the marina turn off your batteries too? if that's the case, maybe you can ask them to remove drain plugs?

I'd also think if the boat isn't sitting too long in the water, you could also remove them as well.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As long as they aren't running the engines, you should be OK to remove the clean-out plugs.

The general thought with the drain plugs is you want them removed once the boat is out of the water so any water can drain lower and eventually out the bilge drain. Does the marina remove that plug once the boat is out of the water or do they leave it in? Does the marina turn off your batteries too? if that's the case, maybe you can ask them to remove drain plugs?

I'd also think if the boat isn't sitting too long in the water, you could also remove them as well.
Thanks. They don’t remove any plugs, and my transom plug is actually a square brass plug, so not easily removable if that’s the one you’re talking about. I’d eventually like to replace it with one of the stainless ones where the plug is attached. But my biggest fear is them dropping it back in the water without popping that one back in. They switch off the batteries so there wouldn’t even be a bilge.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you need to confirm what the marina procedures are for sure,

If they hand pull the boat to and from the fork lift then I say remove your cleanout plugs when you dock,

If they need to drive the boat you will have to leave the cleanout plugs in for them to have any thrust to direct the boat, You may clip a laminated instruction sheet to the wheel or windshield about pulling the plugs as I wouldn't think the same workers would be doing it every time and probably aren't familiar with plugs,

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you need to confirm what the marina procedures are for sure,

If they hand pull the boat to and from the fork lift then I say remove your cleanout plugs when you dock,

If they need to drive the boat you will have to leave the cleanout plugs in for them to have any thrust to direct the boat, You may clip a laminated instruction sheet to the wheel or windshield about pulling the plugs as I wouldn't think the same workers would be doing it every time and probably aren't familiar with plugs,

Their official “to-do’s” are turn off the battery switch and pressure wash the hull. Everything else is by request, which so far seems to be hit or miss.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are the boats kept fully indoors? a plug under the rain is a recipe for a flooded boat.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That explains their lack of concern with the plugs!

If the roof caved in, it would be nice if the drain plug was off..otherwise in your situation I don't think it matters.

I would remove the clean out plug after tying up if they don't run the boat. The least they touch the boat the better in my opinion.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That explains their lack of concern with the plugs!

If the roof caved in, it would be nice if the drain plug was off..otherwise in your situation I don't think it matters.

I would remove the clean out plug after tying up if they don't run the boat. The least they touch the boat the better in my opinion.
Gotcha, thanks. And I assume just leave the transom plug in full time then?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I keep my boat high and dry. I have never had the marina start the boat except the flush the motors they normally don’t like to run your boat in the water in case of a problem. They move it over to the forklift by rope. They always pull the plug as soon as they remove the boat from the water, they always put the plug back in before they drop it in the water. I am in salt water are you in fresh? I did not see you location. Every salt water marina that I know if does this. I am talking about the bilge plugs not the clean out plugs. I normally pull my clean out plugs when I shut off the boat It can sit over for the morning pull out with them pulled with no problem. If I’m down for a week or less I just leave the boat in the water the whole time.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I keep my boat high and dry. I have never had the marina start the boat except the flush the motors they normally don’t like to run your boat in the water in case of a problem. They move it over to the forklift by rope. They always pull the plug as soon as they remove the boat from the water, they always put the plug back in before they drop it in the water. I am in salt water are you in fresh? I did not see you location. Every salt water marina that I know if does this. I am talking about the bilge plugs not the clean out plugs. I normally pull my clean out plugs when I shut off the boat It can sit over for the morning pull out with them pulled with no problem. If I’m down for a week or less I just leave the boat in the water the whole time.
Interesting, thanks for the input. My transom plug is the brass square head, so not the quickest tool free removal. I’m thinking if I switch it to something like this (Amazon.com : Amarine Made Oval Garboard Drain Plug Stainless Steel Boat Fits 1'' Hole, Thread for 3/4'' (1) : Sports & Outdoors) it’ll be a little easier. I’m storing it in Ruskin, FL (south of Tampa) - full time salt boat.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
To many attorneys for them not to put the plug in. they check before it goes in. Also most places have a wrench on the forklift for the square plug I would not worry about it.

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those of you in salt water, will your marina flush the engines? Mine doesn't, so my concern has always been if I return after hours and need to leave the boat over night I have to run back out first thing in the morning to flush out the motors before they put it in the rack.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine said they would but I just do it. Because the procedure is backwards compared to every other boat they do I just figured it was easier for me to do it. it sits 3 week’s between trips down so I like it flushed well and I wash and put a little spray wax on the stainless and Crome, just a wipe on and off. And hit the rear pump, cables, and fins with Deep Creep from seafoam. The hatch levers are going to crap and I will replace with stainless.

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The marina where I'm keeping mine does engine flushing, for $10.04 per engine when they pull it out of the water. They are also apparently very aware of the order in which the flushing steps need to be performed (engine on - water on - water off - engine off). I thought about doing it myself (maybe every few trips out) but then thought about just spending $75K on it and don't want to be penny-wise/pound foolish.