• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

High rpm

Sknight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2008 Yamaha SR 230
It seems my RPMs are to high and it’s very loud.
I plain about 6000Rpm’s and run 10000 rpms and can only do 40 mph. I have had the plugs changed. Not sure what else to do!

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Your wear rings and possibly impellers probably need repalced.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
By plugs do you mean spark plugs? Or clean out plugs? Any vibrations as to indicate cavitation due to something stuck in your impellers? Inspecting the impellers from under the boat could give you an idea if those are causing your lack of power..

I will say, I’ve only reached 45mph just myself but with gear and full tank of fuel. I cruise around 25-35mph and RPMs will be anywhere from 7,200-8,200 depending how many are on the boat.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Usually high RPM goes with loud, and when you have low power with it, it is likely a pump issue. Either you have something stuck in there (wrapped around the shaft or something) or there is cavitation because the caulk came loose on the intake or the impeller is chopped up or hitting the wear ring.

First step I would recommend is pull the cleanout plugs and check there for anything you can find (reach as far aft/forward as you can). Then pull the boat and try from beneath. If no joy, pull the pump and inspect. You may find whatever was stuck (I once had a whole chunk of wood between the impeller and the wear ring--couldn't even see/feel it from above or below...) and you can then inspect the intake path to ensure it is smooth and the wear ring for contact. Sounds like a monumental job, but it is really not. Lots of details on here about pulling your pump...