• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

high RPMs? does this thing just rev high?

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just picked up a 2017 AR190 and this is my first jet boat, let along Yamaha...

full throttle puts me around 40 and it's pinned at 8000. is this normal?
I just feel like the motor is revving to the moon to just do a normal job. even to cruise at 30mph, I feel the motor is just overworking...

is this just how these things run?

Last edited:

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes normal.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
the 2017 AR195's are rev limited at 7,700 RPM but can go well beyond with a tune.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you read my mind...performance mods was my next question.
care to link me a good thread? I'm super new here and would appreciate some tips!

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
you read my mind...performance mods was my next question.
care to link me a good thread? I'm super new here and would appreciate some tips!
@swatski modded his sx190 with the 1.8L.

here's another thread about ribbon delete.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-sx190-looking-for-downsides-of-common-performance-mods.21032/

this thread was for supercharged 1.8L, but you can still get the idea

Good luck!

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just picked up a 2017 AR190 and this is my first JetBoatPilot, let along Yamaha...
full throttle puts me around 40-45 and it's pinned at 8000. is this normal?
I just feel like the motor is revving to the moon to just do a normal job. even to cruise at 30mph, I feel the motor is just overworking...
Yes. Jet engines are compact and designed to rev high, like motorcycle engines (not related though). BRP engines are the same and rev high to spin the impeller very fast to develop thrust, similar to how an airplane jet engine spins high to create thrust. As stated, this is normal. Just remember these are not big bulky v6 or v8 engines that can't rev over 4500-5000 rpm due to higher inertial mass limitations. Just like sports cars with small 4cycl engines with turbos that rev higher - it's how they're designed to run.

Typical cruising speeds result in 5000-6000 rpm and they can run all day like that without issue. Consider 5000 rpm to be like 3000 rpm in a v8.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just picked up a 2017 AR190 and this is my first JetBoatPilot, let along Yamaha...

Normal. The MR-1's in my 07 spin at 10,200 rpm's, 48.8 MPH GPS WOT. The fun starts at 8k rpm.

Last edited:

Ducrotchy1098

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My '15 AR192 spins to 6,800 on it's best day. I've only hit the rev limiter once when pulling WOT out of the hole, never @ speed. Now I am at a disadvantage somewhat as I'm up in altitude around 4,200' with a stock imp.
Boost from me is about 4-5lbs compared to stock 7lbs. [U]SamCF[/U] did an amazing job with his boat/mods. He's thorough and seems very competent in his abilities and understanding.
Back to your initial question yes the do rev, that's Yamaha's slogan. They are one if not the most efficient engine builders on the planet. It's somewhat unknown that Yamaha designed and built F1 engine powerplants for decades. Talk about spinning up an engine-

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I also have a '17 AR190. WOT will get you 7,800rpm or so. Cruising is usually in the 5.5k-6.0k range. Perfectly normal.

Best mods are the ribbon delete (takes just a few minutes), and the L13 cone. Ribbon delete adds a little mid range punch (not much but worth the time), and the cone adds consistency to the jet pump. My 190 will launch exactly the same whether it's loaded down with people, or just me. Never any cavitation from the pump (cavitation feels like spinning tires on pavement, same lack of movement and increased revs), and very consistent top speeds.

Side question.....are you affiliated with these guys at any level? I feel like I've either bought a set of rotors from them (you?) in the past, or was really close to getting a set. Definitely recognize the name.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Yes. Jet engines are compact and designed to rev high, like motorcycle engines (not related though). BRP engines are the same and rev high to spin the impeller very fast to develop thrust, similar to how an airplane jet engine spins high to create thrust. As stated, this is normal. Just remember these are not big bulky v6 or v8 engines that can't rev over 4500-5000 rpm due to higher inertial mass limitations. Just like sports cars with small 4cycl engines with turbos that rev higher - it's how they're designed to run.

Typical cruising speeds result in 5000-6000 rpm and they can run all day like that without issue. Consider 5000 rpm to be like 3000 rpm in a v8.
@Compatico .....100% on the money! Our 2020 Yamaha SX195 planes and cruises beautifully at 5000 RPM. It will hold plane at lower RPM but 5000 seems a super sweet spot. My 2013 Cruiser with twin 350 Mercruiser Magnums vV8s and my 2014 cruiser with 502 Mercruiser Magnums super-sized V-8s both cruised beautifully - but at 3500 RPM - of course they drank 5X the gas LOL!