• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

High RPMs, Low Speed

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At 4,900 you’re probably right on the fringe of planing speed. If you’re 100 rpm under planing speed 9 seems about right. Unless you’re in rougher water these boats don’t really have much ability to hang out between 10-25. They just pass through that zone. Push it to 5200 & see if that doesn’t triple your speed.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just checked on my boat 4900 is 20 mph
That's interesting. I don't think my boat does that, but it also depends on the conditions, weight distribution (big time), and if you are coming up on plane or already been on it and slowing down.

From a dead stop I don't believe I would get up on plane holding 4,900 RPM in my boat. I could be wrong! will confirm over the weekend.

EDIT: I'm probably wrong, but it is a grey zone for sure - my 20-25mph cruise is in the 5,000+ RPM range, I would typically put around at 5,400-ish RPM at ~25mph.

--

Adubbs76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So I started from a dead stop and reved to 4900 I never got on plane. It was me and my son in the passenger seat 80% fuel. If I leaks longer I may have hit more speed. Either way 9 MPH is way too slow

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a reason you stopped pushing the throttles at 4,900 RPM? Are you at WOT there?

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I hope to get out today and I will test throttle but at 4900 from a no wake speed I am pretty confident I won’t be going very fast.

Based on the fact that he has left the battery switch on “on” since Memorial Day, hints strongly that this is a battery issue.

Phreddei

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With SX190 5500-6000 RPM is 22-25 mph.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
We went out for a sunset cruise last night. In a no wake zone I figured I would see where 5k gets me and as I suspected it is around 9-12mph. I am sure this would be different if you were already on plane but from a no wake speed this is expected range for a 210.

KxStrt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Figured it all out thanks to many of you who have posted helpful advise. One battery completely died. That was setting off alarms and engine lights. Flipped the parallel switch and got through the day. So I'll try and charge it, if not, replace and move on. Engine and rpms were great. Interesting how 500 more rpms climbs speeds from 10 to 30 plus. Big step in learning and a first good day with the new boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Figured it all out thanks to many of you who have posted helpful advise. One battery completely died. That was setting off alarms and engine lights. Flipped the parallel switch and got through the day. So I'll try and charge it, if not, replace and move on. Engine and rpms were great. Interesting how 500 more rpms climbs speeds from 10 to 30 plus. Big step in learning and a first good day with the new boat.
Fantastic news!
I would ditch that battery, for peace of mind. There are some great choices out there, and not super expensive, all thigns considered.

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Fantastic news!
I would ditch that battery, for peace of mind. There are some great choices out there, and not super expensive, all thigns considered.

--
This... I am rolling with one battery that is no longer really that useful because it was drained on more than one occasion... I really need to upgrade it.

The best solution is buy a battery charger and plug the boat in while it is not in use. I went that route and have had zero issues since.