• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Highway towing with Bimini

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I learned the hard expensive way a few weeks ago to either tow the boat with the Bimini stowed in its boot and secured to the tower or with the Bimini removed from the tower.

the Bimini, what’s left of it anyway, in the pics is about two years old, I had it custom made in black. The zipper on the custom made boot failed on the way to my last camping trip. Instead of removing the bimini for the tower I used bungee cords to keep the Bimini in the damaged boot. 30 miles into a 100 road trip home I noticed the shadow of the Bimini fluttering in the wind. I pulled over immediately but the top itself was shredded. $600 lesson. To add insult to injury I can find the original Bimini top or the extension I had made for it, so the only shade is that proved by the tower with what’s left of the custom bikini and extension covered by the original custom boot (see the third/final pic).
View attachment 132210View attachment 132211View attachment 132212
That sucks. And I’ve been there. Sorry this happened.

But, I’m glad you posted this. I addressed this subject on a couple of the FaceBook groups, a few weeks ago, but quickly realized how many yahoos are taking really bad advice from other yahoos on matters of boating/trailering safety. It’s more than a little spooky. I’ve since left those groups.

Stowing or securing the bimini canvas is absolutely necessary when trailering. It does NOT matter the speed rating tagged on the canvas... that is a rating for maximum speed on the water.

When trailering, there is much higher risk of really bad outcomes. You cannot easily see the deployed bimini, you cannot account for wind changes and drafts from passing vehicles, etc.

Spend the few extra minutes to take care of everything on your checklist. It’s part of the deal when you become a boat owner.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That sucks. And I’ve been there. Sorry this happened.
Thanks for the sentiment but it’s Part of the price I have to Pay for not taking 5 minutes to simply disconnect the Bimini top and frame from the tower and putting it in the boat for the ride home. My Bimini is on quick connect/disconnect mounts so I could have done it myself but choked instead.

My advice, do what you want where your boat and Bimini top are concerned but realize what it could cost you (and others) if you are wrong. Thankfully, I, only out money (NOT a small amount for me) and time (to have the replacement Bimini made) and not physical injuries to myself or other motorists. Although I may be a li5tle darker than usual after this season with little or no shade to protect me from the sun.