• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How about upgraded seat bottom frames for models that are out of warranty

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Possibly upgraded bolsters as well.

Many of us broke our seat bottoms on the way to Bimini last year. Mine is damaged and made of plastic I would like to upgrade it to something stronger.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds painful! Kim Kardashian can hook you up with people that make alterations to seat bottoms!:angelic:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Possibly upgraded bolsters as well.

Many of us broke our seat bottoms on the way to Bimini last year. Mine is damaged and made of plastic I would like to upgrade it to something stronger.
My previous boat had marine grade plywood (I believe it was 3/4") as a seat bottom and it was covered with a thin marine grade fabric. I had that boat for 16 years and the seats took a lot of pounding without any damage or issues.

I would investigate some of the newer higher end boats to see what they are using.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We stock 3/4" starboard and could easily cut new bottoms for boats with needs. Can you send me a template? I can begin offering those quickly once we prove that we can do what you're asking.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The problem is a little more three dimensional than I remembered. The seat base appears to be injection molded.

The top layer is less than 1/4" thick and has cracked just behind the bolster mount. This is probably from my standing to let my legs absorb large waves with the bolster up in case the waves are too large.

@veedubtek had a failure on his 240 seat but I believe it was a separate piece of plastic.

The remainder of the base of the seat is in good condition. So I hope that I can find a way to use some sort of mounting plate to spread the load from the bolster mounts. The factory bolster mount positions are recessed approximately 1/4" so that the mounts are close to flush with the remainder of the seat base. 3/4 starboard would be too thick to use here. Perhaps 3/16" or 1/4" of a suitable material which a thicker backing to strengthen it in the recessed areas?

I will attach two pictures that may help you see where the failure occurred.

The only indication that I had of this failure was that it became more difficult to raise the bolster. I accidentally removed the seat cushion when cleaning last year and discovered the cracking. @andy07sx230ho you might want to check your seat for similar cracking.

Attachments

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The captain seat on our boat has already been replaced twice through YES warranty because the plastic bolster frame broke. Now that our YES warranty is expired, the next time this happens, we will need a more permanent fix so keeping an eye on what @JetBoatPilot can come up with. As mentioned, the issue with ours was the plastic bolster frame. It is just not strong enough when you put all your weight on it or repeated blows when going over waves.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I initially posted this I was remembering posts about broken plastic bolster frames on 240s. Looks like there are two product opportunities for Will. A mounting plate for 230s which have a metal bolster frame and a metal metal bolster frame upgrade for 240s.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Was there ever a plate designed/made to fix the 230 bolsters seat?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was there ever a plate designed/made to fix the 230 bolsters seat?
Scott, the plastic vacuum molded bottom of my seat was cracked up. Likely from Bimini crossings. I drilled many holes in the bottom and carefully filled it with closed cell foam designed to seal around windows. That has held up well for more than two years.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks Bruce. Mine is cracked exactly like yours. I was thinking of having a 3/16" or 1/4" plate made to reinforce it but if you have had success with closed cell foam I may go that direction.

Scott

Scott, the plastic vacuum molded bottom of my seat was cracked up. Likely from Bimini crossings. I drilled many holes in the bottom and carefully filled it with closed cell foam designed to seal around windows. That has held up well for more than two years.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just saw it. Fantastic! I think I am going to do both the closed cell foam and an 1/8" plate reinforcement just for good measure. Thanks again.

Scott

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Reviving an old thread for the convertible passenger chair. The plastic tab that sits on the lip of the head closet and extends from the passenger seat bottom broke. Has anyone attempted to repair? Perhaps a starboard solution?

Lee Wilke

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
So this is my current situation with a seat, SMH.
This is a picture of the Captains seat front, right behind the flip up bolster. Not sure how this has happened but it did.
Thinking of trying to pull this cheaply made plastic hollow frame out and replace it with a solid 1" piece of Starboard.
Thoughts and any suggestions on another way to remedy this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1626979349622.png