• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How long before replacing plugs.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve had the same plugs for 6-8 years. I only use my jet ski one week a year. 15-20 hrs on the ski since the plugs were installed. Of course they are pulled to fog the motor every winter. Always runs perfect. Do I replace them just cause? Thanks

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You mean spark plugs ?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would for sure, they are so cheap and easy to replace that really there is no reasons not to. My understanding is that people who are passionate they change theirs every 50 hours or once a year.

in all honesty I worry that being in there for some many years you might have a issue taking them off. So I would be careful and maybe change them every 2 years if once a year seems too frequent.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plugs always get pulled every year to fog the cylinders but we never use it except on vacation in fresh water. My wife got on me bc we always take the boat out and never use our jet ski so we are gonna put in salt water for the first time since we rebuilt the motor(same time we changed the spark plugs). I am gonna change them. I was curious what y’all thought. It’s basically only used to pull tubes. 3F1EEE24-CC95-4C3C-A38E-490792521DB9.jpeg

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went out today for the first time and it was barely running on the water. Switched the plugs with older plugs that I had for emergencies. Took a while to get it going. Now it will run like normal when you plane out but will barely idle. Ordered plugs. I hope that’s the reason the impeller sounds bad. Only have 10 hrs on that entire jet pump

Last edited:

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep spark plugs gave up the ghost. Took a couple attempts at ordering but auto zone got me the plugs cheaper than amazon.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So the new plugs solved the issue? Kind of strange your spare set of used plugs didn't resolve the issue. I keep my old set as spares onboard. They are 2 seasons old when I change them but are always running fine before I change them.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
both sets looked bad. I’ve ran it on the hose a couple times this year but this past Sunday was the first time in the water in almost a year. It started out good until I started to take off. Got to 25ish and started missing. It went down hill from there. After I changed the plugs with my old backup plugs it had good acceleration after 10-15 but ran rough below 2000rpms.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
pump rattle is usually not the plugs, but maybe rust or swelling of the pump, or time to inspect and replace the pump grease, and double check the impeller clears the wear ring at every spot. I hope I'm wrong and it's nothing, but may be as easy as a few high spots on my impeller liner. They came off with some steel wool. These were causing the pump to make a lot of noise.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replaced the whole pump and impeller two years ago because of swelling. Last weekend was the first time in salt water. It sounds better now that it’s running smoothly.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My opinion is that when you pull the plugs for any reason just put new ones back in. I keep a set on hand for most vehicles.