• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

How many of you put your mooring covers on while on a lift?

TommyMcK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I get the impression that most of the folks here trailer their boats. I keep mine on a lift at home and I'm usually in the position of needing to put the cover on while in the boat without the ability to walk around outside of it.

I've been doing that for years and have gotten somewhat adept at it..but it's still a pain. I work from front to back, using the cleats at the bow and midship to help hold the cover in place as I work around. I crawl out at the stern and work the back end on while literally on top of it. The old AR230 cover was a real pain because the tightening rachet was in the middle of the stern. It was a really dicey proposition to lean over and try to tigheten that while on the boat. My new 222xd cover has the tightening rachets on the side at the stern and at least one of (port side in my case) is accessible from the dock.

I was wondering if any of you have any interesting techniques. It's always "fun" if you're doing it with any appreciable wind.

boatcover5.jpg

Trailering or in the slip, I always kept the boat covered. Sounds like you are doing it the right way. I did the same on the cover for my 07 AR230 while in a wet slip. Start forward and work aft. Finish up while standing on the cover and step off to starboard onto the dock. Then ratchet the cover tight from the dock. Ratchet was on starboard side aft at the swim platform, accessible from the dock. We eventually switched to snap on bow and cockpit covers not covering the lower level on the swimplatform.

20170525_171413_002~2.jpg20170612_141407.jpg

Last edited:
We have planks that run down each side of the boat, so its easy to get the cover on/off - not sure if that's something you could add. Still need to be careful that you don't fall in, but we can get the cover on and be gone in just a couple minutes.

EE0A57E2-34FD-4C52-852D-8EFDEFDAACAA.jpeg

I use stainless steel snap clips on the back through the buckle loop. It blows up a couple inches on the back but it’s down flat on the deck while I snap it. Everything else stays the same. I don’t click the side buckles

I think there was a thread not too long ago on this same topic, and I recall some folks opting for a separate bow and cockpit cover instead of a mooring cover, as the installation was easier.

Jim

Sorry if it's a duplicate topic. I did search, but maybe not well enough.

I also have a plank on the far side of the dock, but it doesn't do much good near the bow. I'm usually doing this solo in any case.

I did consider snap-on bow and cockpit covers. I prefer the mooring cover though because the coverage is complete.

Anyway, it'd definitely a do-able do to make it work on a lift... I was just interested in how many other folks do this and if there were variations on the technique.

I think there was a thread not too long ago on this same topic, and I recall some folks opting for a separate bow and cockpit cover instead of a mooring cover, as the installation was easier.

Jim

Exactly, why they ever named it a mooring cover is beyond me. Other than the openings for the cleats to tie up, it's a horrible job to put on while "moored"

We use the black "mooring cover" while on the trailer and in storage. But while on the lift the 2-piece snap on covers are the way to go. We also have a canopy though too, so it's covered.

We had a full cover when we had our SeaDoo X-20. But they put a nice half moon zippered opening over the swimdeck, so you could pull the cover down and ratchet it while sitting on the swimdeck on the lift. Then zip the half moon shut as I got off the boat. It was some crazy gymnastics if I had a few boat sodas that day. But it worked.

Good luck!

Went out all day today and this time, it took less than 5 minutes to get the cover well and firmly on. It's all about having a familiar procedure I guess. Staring out at it as I type this....

cover.jpg

We’ve had a lift for one season now. Love it. Yeah, kinda a pain to put cover on and off, but still way worth it. We have planks on both sides, so that’s a huge help. Also got Hangtyte instead of poles for the cover and that helps too. The only other thing I was thinking would make it faster was to replace the ratchet strap (custom made cover) with a buckle.

My procedure is similar to the above...when I remove the cover I "roll it up" stern to bow, when installing "unroll" bow to stern.

In windy conditions "unrolling/rolling" the cover is helpful in my situation.

My lift has a cover so I don't cover the boat. If the lift didn't have a cover, I'd put the boat cover on. You get pretty good at it. I finished up securing the cover at the stern so I got a nice dip in the lake at the end of the day which was always nice. I think just keeping the sun off the seats is better and probably cheaper to replace the cover than redo the seats.

Sounds like you are doing it right, just need the reps to get it down. It used to take me up to 30 minutes to get the boat buttoned up (not just the cover), now I can do it in 10.

Prior thread on topic:
Thanks for the link...should have searched better!

The 222XD cover has the tightening rachet on both sides of the stern. I only use the port side one since that's the dockside. Looks like I'm fortunate in comparison with some as my access on the dock-side is pretty good...

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg

Back