• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much for oil change?

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took my Waverunner and my 212 Limited S in for their first oil change about a month ago. I was a little surprised that it cost about $200 per engine to do the oil change with filter. Is this a typical fee? I know you have to suction the oil out, but it still seems a little high to me.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That seems high considering you can buy all the oil, filters, and your own suction device for way less.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very high, even for a stealership. I pay about 300 for both engines. Oil change, new spark plugs, and a once over. Which is still too high but I am too lazy to do it myself.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Seems excessively high. I looked up on Amazon and found this for dual engines.

can someone pls confirm this is what‘s needed for our yamas twin engine boats? especially since there is no spark plugs numbers listed to verify what one is getting.

Last edited:

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
First 10 hour oil change is a lot more than oil and filter - the ECM is checked for fault codes, bearing grease, steering and bucket, plugs checked, etc.

LB_33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Find your local yamalube dealer on their website and get the Watercraft II Oil Change Kit. Comes with the correct oil and filter plus the yamalube warranty. Then go buy a pump fluid evacuator for $50 or so on amazon. The spark plugs i use are the NGK Laser Iridium Part No 6481. Got them at carquest with a 20% of coupon for $80. There's a dude on YouTube who shows how to change the oil. Just make sure the plugs are gapped correctly, and the gap measurement can be found in your owners manual or online. I've done oil changes at the beginning of every year plus spark plug changes every 2 years with minimal boat engine knowledge and it's super easy.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You can also snag the entire kit from @JetBoatPilot

It is not complicated at all and will save you those dollars to invest in other mods!😁

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$100/hr give or take plus oil and filter. Roughly $50 for oil and filter. Perhaps a little high from a relative perspective but anything to do with a dealership is high. If I were a dealer I would probably charge that too. It's a convenience factor for those that can't do it. I also wouldn't want to flood my shop with $100 2 engine oil change. You would go broke unless you literally had no other business. I let the dealer to my first change and inspect and then did it myself from then on.

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I look at oil filters on line (Amazon), and see repeated complaints that the filter ordered does not fit their engine, even though the advertising says it should. Can anyone direct me to a specific filter that will fit the 1.8 liter engine on a 2019 212 Limited S? Looks like I could do the oil change with the correct filter.

LB_33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Just order this. It comes with everything you need. Buy two for both engines. It also helps to keep your warranty going as the Yamalube has it's own little warranty built in.

You'll still need a fluid evacuator/extractor in order to suck out the oil. They have pump versions and electric versions. Super easy.

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice link! Thank you! What's up with the "drain seals"? If you're suctioning the oil up and out, where would they be needed? I hope there are instructions in the package.

LB_33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have no idea to be honest, i've never used them. They include a paper funnel which i find worthless, just go to autoparts store and get a stubby funnel with about a 1 inch diameter hole. It seats itself in the oil fill. I just stick the fluid evacuator hose down the dip stick hole, crack the crank case oil fill a hair, and then pump out.

I assume the drain seals are on the oil pan much like a car where there is an oil drain plug but i wouldn't be able to get to it if tried.