• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much use is too much?

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I worried about the same my first year when I put right at 100 hrs on it. Then I decided it’s like a new car... you sweat the first few thousand miles then just learn to appreciate the time in it. If I blow it up due to “over use” is that such a bad thing?

It may scare people away in the used market when they look at the prospect of buying a boat with several hundred hours on it but that’s why I keep meticulous maintenance records which includes the full interval checklist, photos of the oil receipt, oil filter, old oil sample, & hour meter at time of change. If that’s not good enough than the buyer probably doesn't know what they’re looking for.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I bought a 2018 AR190 about a month ago and already have 46 hours on it. If I keep this up, I'll be around 200 by the end of the season. Am I going to end up killing this thing too soon? How many hours can these engines take without major issues?

All I can say is... quit bragging and making me feel so bad for never having enough time to do what I love. I wish I had your problems. ;)

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For what it's worth, word from the rental guys is that the TR-1's are not lasting as long as the MR-1. Tr-1's are seeing rebuilds at 800 hrs v the MR-1's at 2000. Also, advice is to rebuild pump bearings every 200 hours on the newer boats.

There are a couple of guys I've followed over the years who either own shops or rental companies. This is one of them:

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=480951&page=2&p=4481971&viewfull=1#post4481971

-Greg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For what it's worth, word from the rental guys is that the TR-1's are not lasting as long as the MR-1. Tr-1's are seeing rebuilds at 800 hrs v the MR-1's at 2000. Also, advice is to rebuild pump bearings every 200 hours on the newer boats.

There are a couple of guys I've followed over the years who either own shops or rental companies. This is one of them:

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=480951&page=2&p=4481971&viewfull=1#post4481971

-Greg
Ouch that's not good for the TR1. I wonder though if boats would see those same kind of issues since the engine wouldn't be suspect to ingesting water from improper rollover? Boats also don't tend to be riding at redline 24/7 like most rental skis do. The jet pump bearing failures at just 200 hours is not good!

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ouch that's not good for the TR1. I wonder though if boats would see those same kind of issues since the engine wouldn't be suspect to ingesting water from improper rollover? Boats also don't tend to be riding at redline 24/7 like most rental skis do. The jet pump bearing failures at just 200 hours is not good!
Yes, I'm surprised on the pump bearings, and that's something I hope Yamaha would be improving. Agree with you on the water ingestion--shouldn't have that problem in a boat.

You may have seen in the thread on pwctoday.com where I ask about how far down they are rebuilding the motor. He's saying they are only doing a valve job and rings, not main bearings, which is good. That should not be an expensive rebuild.

-Greg

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

-Greg
Wow that's worse than a seadoo, a buddy of mine has a rental fleet of skis and boats and he only had one engine go on his boat .

I put on 37 last (first year) year most of which was going 5 mph. I'm happy with that. I had my Sea-Doo for 4 year thought I drove it everywhere and only had 53 hours on it when I sold it.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I bought my boat middle of April and I just went over the 40 hour mark. And I do a shit ton of anchoring and swimming. I am on the water prob 3 days a week. Since we mostly surf I would say my average mph is around 10 lol.

Theturtle7023

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my boat middle of April and I just went over the 40 hour mark. And I do a shit ton of anchoring and swimming. I am on the water prob 3 days a week. Since we mostly surf I would say my average mph is around 10 lol.
Did you do anything special to be able to surf the wake?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Checked mine today and she's at 89.9 hours. Been great so far!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm at over 600 hours on 1800 engines and pumps only replaced the pump liner sections I have not messed with the pump bearings or intermediate bearings although if they needed servicing I really would not have a complaint.

justamon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've had a rough year and was wondering if letting the boat sit for almost a year was an issue. I put fuel balancer in the tank.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put 200-300 hours a year on my boat... 1200 two strokes are no bueno at that usage rate... Im hoping to get 2500-3000 hours out of the MR-1's
I snapped these last night when I got in with the seadoo... straight out the canal and take a left and is 5 miles to Looe Key Reef, take a right and its 12 miles to the Content keys and the gulf... we go to Bahia Honda and sawyer and Marvin Key and a couple of other more hidden places...

attachment - 2022-02-05T152902.838.jpgattachment - 2022-02-05T152914.338.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
mr1 engines are very reliable the most common issue was the exhaust manifold corrosion allowing water into the oil I would suggest you add Zinc anodes to your pumps if you only have the original ones since you are in salt water, I do that day one.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've had a rough year and was wondering if letting the boat sit for almost a year was an issue. I put fuel balancer in the tank.
In fresh water it shouldn't be a big issue, but it's a good idea to run it every few months to keep everything loose and lubed, and keep the battery on a maintainer (not a trickle charger) if you can't use it regularly. If it's just been sitting idle and you want to start using it again, make sure the battery is good, lube everything, and change the oil and filter after your next run.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
mr1 engines are very reliable the most common issue was the exhaust manifold corrosion allowing water into the oil I would suggest you add Zinc anodes to your pumps if you only have the original ones since you are in salt water, I do that day one.
the pump anodes last 18-24 months i have spares in stock, the MR-1's are new so I need to get some spares for them... on my list... 5 years I haven had any corrosion issues yet... I hose off the boat and the pumps every time I come in and flush the engines once a week... I use waterproof grease on all the pivots, and I use CRC Heavy duty corrosion inhibitor... on EVERYTHING (it reminds me of ACF-50 that we used on airplanes and Marine high temp antisieze. also use 80W-90 gear oil in the steering and shifter cables once a year... And I used to break a 20mm pump shaft with the 135's often enough (2 in 5 years) that it covers the mid bearing and pump bearing maintenance... I have 22mm shafts and all the associated hardware mid bearing, impellers, pump bearings and seals ready to go in at the next failure... :winkingthumbsup"

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No issue, just check everything over good before you take it out on the water.