• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much water is too much?

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 18 212x and every time I take it out for the day when I pull drain plug it drains for just over two minutes of straight water pouring out is this normal??
Yes. I have the same thing with my 2015 242. Used to obsess over where that water is coming from...my best guess is the rear hatch...that area gets covered with water often. Bottom line is if your bilge isn't cycling constantly, I wouldn't really worry.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just so you guys know I played around with my boat leveled on the trailer (at planing angle) and it took nearly 5 minutes or the garden hose running full tilt before the bilge kicked on. That had to be close to 15 gallons of water. As for the bilge filling during operation, check and lube the plug o-ring. Also tighten the clamps around the clean out port tubes. They’re the big 6” diameter ones. Finally make sure the clean out tray is sealed to the deck with sealant. Mine was about 1/2 sealed. All these items were contributing to my water intrusion during running.

Tango6455

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I keep my bilge on also my engine bay is dry as a bone it's down in hill somewhere. took it to dealer and they said all seals are good just can't believe this is normal. I keep plug open in center locker and a little water comes in there also.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just wire a float switch to your existing pump. Float switch is a must if your wet slipping. The "constantly checking for water" type pump is a battery killer. Also, don't forget, the stern is not the lowest part of our boats when they're in the water, so your pump won't operate until there is A LOT of water in the bilge. My cover is older and a little stretched. Can try putting a small block of wood under the support poles to lift them, but they'll only raise as high as the cover/straps will allow. Any rain that gets through the cover will go to the center of the boat which in most cases is just forward of the middle. This is why my floor lockers fill instead of the rain flowing out the scupper drain. Any rain that flows into the bilge isn't gonna pump out until you try to get on plane and the bow rises.
For those of us with '18's and newer, the DSVR is supposed to handle this, even with the batteries turned off. For older boats, you're suggestion makes total sense. For anyone keeping a boat in a wet slip, a 2nd bilge pump should be mandatory! I installed one this spring and it's directly wired to the battery via a float switch.

I'm just worried that there's some issue with how mine is wired or the DSVR. If my main bilge is turning on periodically like it's supposed to, that means I'm really only protected by my 2nd bilge....?????

Jchurch95

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have an 09 AR230, only had it for a couple weeks, and every time we take it out I seem to get a decent amount of water in the bilge. I pull the plug and get probably 3-4 gallons out. We live on a small lake and never have it out for more then about 30-45 minutes at a time. Scupper looks ok, I'll still replace it with a stainless one soon though. So,
1. Is it normal to have this much water in that short amount of time using it? I pull the plug every time it goes back on the lift.
2. How much water does the bilge pump leave in the bottom?
Thanks for any help guys. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions in the future, I'm a newbie.

Last edited: