• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How often does your bilge pump turn on?

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My bilge pump runs 1-2 times on a 2 hour outing. Just wondering if that is normal.

Some people write that your bilge shouldn't turn on at all.

2018 AR190 with 20hrs.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you ever dock for long periods? That amount of water all the time could be a sign of a small leak. Most important...Don't loose any sleep over it...It's not that big a deal...BUT...

It's not a bad idea to try to locate it. keep an eye peeled and look at all the holes below the water line with the boat off. if you can leave it in the dock a few minutes and look vs. does the water enter only while the boat is moving? Just something to help you narrow it down.

I continue to advocate at every opportunity for a bilge alarm. The smaller the boat, the faster it sinks with an identical hole. If a leak ever overwhelms the pump, and you don't notice the pump running, you'd find out too late, and wouldn't be able to do much about it. A bilge alarm is the difference between a close call and a very bad day in the water. Just a thought worth considering while you don't need it.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I put 20 hours on mine in Florida over about 7 days. Bilge never ran and we constantly had people in and out of the boat.

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ours would run maybe once or twice during an 8 hr day with minimal people getting in and out. I finally figured out that one of the screws under the rub rail was leaking really bad. I kept thinking that the rear underseat storage was getting wet from life jackets and stuff until I finally ran a garden hose along the rub-rail and got under the seat with a flashlight. Water was pouring in in a steady stream. Took off the rub rail, removed the rubber under it, siliconed all the holes and put it back together. All is well

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine never runs and I only pull the bilge plug 4 or 5 times during the season. To qualify that, I don't do water sports which I think is a main contributor to bringing water onboard barring any mechanical issues.

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't even know if mine turns on automatically???
Only turns on when I hit the button but no water ever comes out.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't even know if mine turns on automatically???
Only turns on when I hit the button but no water ever comes out.
Same here. Any time i turn it on manually no water ever comes out.
I did fill the bilge to test it with a hose and it worked fine. mine is always left "on" in the auto mode

Last edited:

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Never had it run...only 30 hours so far though and has never kicked on to my knowledge.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
It really depends. With kids jumping up and down climbing all over it runs much more.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a note...Judging from some response here I'm getting the feeling that some feel the bilge pump is an accessory to be turned on only when water is detected or if there is a known incident. I'm here to tell you that is not the case.

The bilge pump is a safety device. It should be on the entire time the boat is in the water weather you are moving, beached, at anchor or at a slip. I guarentee you the bilge pump will know you have water before you do. Many times the first indication you have of water intrusion is when you hear the water being pumped out of your hull.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Only when it rains. I have had it in the water for full weeks and not gotten a drop out of it when I pull the plug; but a torrential downpour gets enough water through the floor compartment seals and channel weep holes to run it in about 15 minutes.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh this is such a fun question for me. I'm just over 100hrs of engine time, and probably 300 hrs of on the water time with my 2017 AR190.

The bilge run time will vary SIGNIFICANTLY with the activities of the day. Here's how the water gets INTO the boat (which BTW is a pet peeve of mine, water should be on the outside of the boat).

Rain:
This is the #1 way to flood your boat. I've been in multiple hour downpours and literally had over a foot of water in the ski locker. Bilge never ran because the boat was front heavy and the water couldn't get back to the pump. Once I was able to get the nose up, everything ran back, and took about 15 minutes to empty. Pulled the plugs at the ramp shortly thereafter, and got another 10+gal from the plugs. Water comes in obviously from the sky, however the cupholders are not plugged and drain into the compartments, there are no gutters around the anchor storage area that drains to the ski locker, and the bimini top doesn't do you any favors dripping behind the windshield, and just inside the gunwales on either side........Rain is NOT a problem with the Premium Deluxe Mooring Cover. Had the boat sit out through MULTIPLE hour thunderstorms this summer and the bilge remained dry.

Watersports:
This introduces water two ways. People on/off the back of the boat. Those cupholders and rear cleanout tray all drain to the bilge. I've added drains between the cupholders and the rear cleanout tray, and then sealed the crap out of the cleanout try to prevent it. Water DOES NOT swamp up high enough to get over the second step on a light to moderately loaded boat. I've had 3 people in the back and hit reverse at 40mph and can't get water over the second step. Heavily ballasted boats are the exception here, but have thier own set of issues to contend with (more on that in a minute). HOWEVER, that drain between the cleanout tray and the outer hull, it doesn't have a one way valve, so when you come off plane, water rushes UP that drain and fills the cleanout tray. Again, a poorly sealed (stock) cleanout tray will leak like a sieve into the bilge instead of out that drain. SO, the more you are on/off plane, and the more people you have on that rear platform dripping/spilling water the more water will get in the boat. Seal the cleanout tray, the cupholders, and put drains between the cupholders and cleanout tray, and you'll keep 95% of the watersports water outside the boat......If you are heavily ballasted, then you've got the rub rail under the water often, and those also leak very much badly. You can reseal if you like, or let the bilge do it's job. If I start adding ballast, I'll be resealing the rails on mine.

General Hull Leak:
These are leaks around any thru-hull fitting that doens't have a good seal. There are all kinds of these possibilities around the transom on these boats. Multiple cables going in/out, the pump/hull interface, speed sensor, cleanout port, etc. Best way to find leaks here is to fill the bilge with water while on the trailer and see where it's dripping from. Typically they are relatively easy (but often time consuming) fixes. Remove and replace the component with some better sealing strategy, and you should be good to go.

Moral of the story......You're bilge can run all the time if you're trying to surf with a ton of ballast and poorly sealed transom area, or it can run barely at all if you are mostly just cruising and not in the water or on/off plane much. It seriously depends on what you're doing, and what kind of work you've done to seal Yamaha's piss poor designs.

For me.....this is hands down the "leaky-est" boat I've ever owned or worked on. Most of it is either poor design (like cupholders that drain to nowhere), or poor workmanship (missing sealant in known "wet" areas). I've done a few mods to make it better, but it's still not 100% dry like I would prefer. The mods I've done have gotten me 90% of the way there, and that is honestly good enough. I've eliminated the annoyances, and the bilge rarely runs anymore, so I'm going to call it good.

Also........If the boats in the water, the bilge is on. Period. It's a safety device, not an accessory. The stream of water off the side of the boat has been an "early warning" for me that something was wrong on multiple occasions. If I get a big enough leak, it might not save the boat, but it can alert me soon enough that I can get everyone off and to safety in an emergency, or get the engine shut down and address the problem before it becomes an emergency.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I continue to advocate at every opportunity for a bilge alarm. The smaller the boat, the faster it sinks with an identical hole. If a leak ever overwhelms the pump, and you don't notice the pump running, you'd find out too late, and wouldn't be able to do much about it. A bilge alarm is the difference between a close call and a very bad day in the water. Just a thought worth considering while you don't need it.
I agree

I used one of these zip tied it to the wire by the bilge pump if it ever goes over the bilge pump the alarm will sound . The siren is in the engine compartment very easy and inexpensive install

Last edited:

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bringing up a quasi-quiet thread. We went out to a key today on our SX230 and 2 folks were sitting on the back deck the whole time. While doing so the bilge was running every few minutes. Is there a bigger issue we should be looking for? Areas like the ski locker and head compartment seemed relatively dry.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bringing up a quasi-quiet thread. We went out to a key today on our SX230 and 2 folks were sitting on the back deck the whole time. While doing so the bilge was running every few minutes. Is there a bigger issue we should be looking for? Areas like the ski locker and head compartment seemed relatively dry.
Check your scupper. It’s a known issue on the older boats if you still have the stock plastic scupper. It’s below the water line on the older boats and they are prone to cracking and should be replaced with a stainless steel scupper. If it’s cracked water will leak into the bilge.

Last edited:

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check your scupper. It’s a known issue on the older boats if you still have the stock plastic scupper. It’s below the water line on the older boats and they are prone to cracking and should be replaced with a stainless steel scupper. If it’s cracked water will leak into the bilge.
Ya it's still the plastic scupper. I haven't seen any cracking, but had planned on replacing it anyways. Just wasn't sure what the normal frequency is.

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I also still have the plastic scupper which I have yet to replace.

Bilge running every few minutes might be an issue. I will definitely be going over my boat before beginning the season again.

These are all issues I want to avoid before docking the boat in the water for the season.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
67 hrs never came on. I actually had to remove it and put it in a bucket of water to make sure it works, it does.